Ulster v Saints Fri Dec 17th 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster v Saints Fri Dec 17th 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by StandUp »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:53 am Was surprised that timoney got motm, as I thought in the 2nd half Rea made some crucial turnovers. Looks more impressive each week and not out of place at this level.
Marcus has been brilliant lately. Fingers crossed for a good run of injury free games, but Timoney is pure class.
This is one of the most beautifully balanced back rows we have ever had.
Power and pace.
Youth and experience.
A great ability in the line out.
Great vision to read the game.
Unbelievable tackling and poaching ability from all three.
I may have had many too many tonight🥃 but I think I will stand over that statement tomorrow.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

:lol:
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:50 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:36 am
HammerTime wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:31 am P!sh poor tbh. After being sensational last week. The boyz in blue would have put 50 on that lot. A 5 pointer so can't complain too much.
The boyz in blue had their opportunity a few weeks back and never managed to put 50 on us.

A 5 pointer indeed so indeed we can't complain too much.
P!sh poor..... where do we go from here?

Leinster, Clermont and now Northampton, if we win our next two inter pros at home Dan has to go! :scratch:
:lol: :salut: well played sir
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

Was at match & must say very flat atmosphere particularly on European night 🙁.
Few wee peaks now & then but otherwise crap.
On side note ref family stand activities ..told online kids getting Ulster flags ..where were they ? Autoline signed mini balls threw into crowd . Well I think maybe 10 were three in 1st 10m leaving a lot disappointed ?? That was poor show esp as advertised heavily .. 😂😂 tightsr$es
Anyway points in the bag & move on
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

StandUp wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:17 am :lol:
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:50 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:36 am
HammerTime wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:31 am P!sh poor tbh. After being sensational last week. The boyz in blue would have put 50 on that lot. A 5 pointer so can't complain too much.
The boyz in blue had their opportunity a few weeks back and never managed to put 50 on us.

A 5 pointer indeed so indeed we can't complain too much.
P!sh poor..... where do we go from here?

Leinster, Clermont and now Northampton, if we win our next two inter pros at home Dan has to go! :scratch:
:lol: :salut: well played sir
As in p!as poor that they were so dominant against a plucky but limited team yet said team could have nabbed it at the end. Regarding Leinster and Clermont … very good wins but let’s not kid ourselves it was Leinster ‘A’ and a Clermont team that aren’t a patch on previous years. Yet we still could well have lost both. Again, good wins and we are going in the right direction but still lacking the killer instinct of the top sides. If Hume hasn’t disposed Ringrose (most overrated player in recent Irish history) In the 6N it’ll be yet another, in a long line of disgraceful bias’s towards the boyz in blue.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

armalig wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:13 am Was at match & must say very flat atmosphere particularly on European night 🙁.
Few wee peaks now & then but otherwise crap.
On side note ref family stand activities ..told online kids getting Ulster flags ..where were they ? Autoline signed mini balls threw into crowd . Well I think maybe 10 were three in 1st 10m leaving a lot disappointed ?? That was poor show esp as advertised heavily .. 😂😂 tightsr$es
Anyway points in the bag & move on
It did seem like a flat atmosphere on the telly. Possibly some crowds on a Christmas jolly that might not normally go to the matches?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Watched the match

The first 25 minutes Ulster were well on top before McCloskey pulled a muscle and went off with a limp continue to play a comfortable game until Henderson joined McCloskey on the sidelines and worryingly McCloskey was visible at the end of the game were as Henderson wasn't .

But after Henderson went off the line out failed to secure the ball and Ulster started to look uncomfortable without the ball.

Referee was blind to Saints blocking and crossing backline treated them as dummy runs when they were actual not being accepted as dummy runs by Ulster but the play was blocking cross field cover defence or hindering a tackling run .

The Saints were using an out half and a close boxed 3 outside him -- 2 of which were dummy runner /blockers ie the carrier was coming in between the two runners The carrier if he made the break then had support on either side.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Came home late and attempted to watch the game back. Fell asleep after the great start. Woke up and the score was surprisingly close. I'm trying to piece it together by reading this thread. We seem to have been a mixture of brill and shyte. A few injuries of course. Worryingly Hendy was invisible at the end??

Can anyone offer a better summary.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:46 am Worryingly Hendy was invisible at the end??

Can anyone offer a better summary.
He was a shadow of his former self :lol: :roll:
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Hendy had a bad ankle twist from a clear out in which he won a penalty. The fact he was able to walk off was a good sign but he'll miss a few weeks most likely.

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The sloppy pens in the first half kept them in it. The breakdown work improved in the second half although both tries were maybe a little bit too easy. Skosan has been doing that all season tbf.

The scoreboard was close but we were never under any serious threat. The most challenging thing on the night was, as usual, getting served at the bar.

Great to see Duane and Andy Warwick laughing and joking on the lap after the match. Not really something I ever expected to witness.

The injuries were the only downside of any note. We’re used to managing without Hendy but we’re not the same team without Stu.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Can't argue with a 5 point win but...
I'm not convinced the penalty try was really worth it. The pass wasn't great and there was a potentially covering defender.
If the full back had caught the cross kick that led to Gilroy's try...
Some weak tackling.
The lineout still isn't functioning well, to say the least.
We could have lost this!
But, a 5 point win is a 5 point win. :fleg: :cheers: :fleg: :cheers:
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

mea97mb wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:12 am
StandUp wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:55 pm
solidarity wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:51 pm
StandUp wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:45 pm Timoney gets MOM. Well deserved
I think you mean 'Star of the match'. :banghead: :banghead:
Yeah the bell£nds have changed it again. Player of the match must have offended some ars€hole somewhere. This pc Shoite is way beyond a joke.
In fairness its more likely due to the fact that Heineken's logo is a star.
Fair point, SU but I still think 'star' is pathetic. Why does everything have to be monetised? Squeeze the last bit of advertising out of it.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

[/quote]

Fair point, SU but I still think 'star' is pathetic. Why does everything have to be monetised? Squeeze the last bit of advertising out of it.
[/quote]

They can kiss my star. It’s still motm to me.
As an aside, I would like the IRB to consider the outcomes of dangerous tackles when deciding sanctions. As an example, the clear out of Henderson from the ruck was dangerous as the cleaner came in from the side and wrecked his ankle. We lost one of our most important players but the offending team just gave away a penalty.
Perhaps a mandatory substitution for the offending player might work?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

StandUp wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:21 pm
As an aside, I would like the IRB to consider the outcomes of dangerous tackles when deciding sanctions. As an example, the clear out of Henderson from the ruck was dangerous as the cleaner came in from the side and wrecked his ankle. We lost one of our most important players but the offending team just gave away a penalty.
Clearing out rucks is inherently dangerous and is already illegal by the laws of the game. The sooner the IRB admit this, the better.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

BR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:57 pm
StandUp wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:21 pm

Clearing out rucks is inherently dangerous and is already illegal by the laws of the game. The sooner the IRB admit this, the better.
I get your point but that would reduce the game to a ridiculously boring procession.
I must admit, I absolutely love to see a successful counter-ruck, where the defending team regains possession.