Sooper Dooper qualification.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sooper Dooper qualification.

Post by justinr73 »

I think it's an attempt to make the Challenge Cup worth bothering with.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote:I think it's an attempt to make the Challenge Cup worth bothering with.
Agreed, when there was no pathway into the H Cup via the Challenge Cup, it was effective as a broken pencil.

Now teams are starting to take it more seriously again with the H Cup spot available.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Neill_M wrote:
justinr73 wrote:I think it's an attempt to make the Challenge Cup worth bothering with.
Agreed, when there was no pathway into the H Cup via the Challenge Cup, it was effective as a broken pencil.

Now teams are starting to take it more seriously again with the H Cup spot available.
Don't have a problem with the winners getting a slot but the losing PP semifinalists battling it out is frankly, ludicrous.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:
Neill_M wrote:

Don't have a problem with the winners getting a slot but the losing PP semifinalists battling it out is frankly, ludicrous.
Makes the Parker Knoll much more attractive.

I think most PP winners have qualified for HEC via normal means anyway. This is attractive to those mid-table sides who may not win, but it's worth having a go in order to provide a safety net.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Pro14.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BR wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Neill_M wrote:

I think most PP winners have qualified for HEC via normal means anyway. This is attractive to those mid-table sides who may not win, but it's worth having a go in order to provide a safety net.

If/when the South African sides are given the green light to enter the H Cup/Challenge Cup, the Pro 14 system will simplify with top 3 in each conference + a PO between the 4th placed sides.

Suspect the Cheetahs may have surprised a few people in making the end of season Playoffs in year 1 which has made things more complicated!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Neill_M wrote:
BR wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Neill_M wrote:

If/when the South African sides are given the green light to enter the H Cup/Challenge Cup, the Pro 14 system will simplify with top 3 in each conference + a PO between the 4th placed sides.

Suspect the Cheetahs may have surprised a few people in making the end of season Playoffs in year 1 which has made things more complicated!
Was there ever any suggestion that if the Cheetahs finished 2nd that they would not get a home playoff?

If it had been in the balance, 1 week turnaround for travel would be tricky. Ask Cardiff.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Was there ever any suggestion that if the Cheetahs finished 2nd that they would not get a home playoff?

If it had been in the balance, 1 week turnaround for travel would be tricky. Ask Cardiff.

Not I am aware of. The new boys had the same playoff rights as everyone else - just not eligible for the European competitions yet. Agree that any side would have had to turn themselves around quickly enough.

In Cardiff's case for their regular season game v Cheetahs, they only planned to leave London on the Wednesday arriving there on the Thursday for a Saturday game in Bloemfontein. They did suffer roughly 1 day's worth of delays which meant they only got there on the Friday night.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

It's all a right horlix. I'm a bit old school and like things to be meritocratic wherever possible. Wishful thinking I know :roll:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Where is the Parker Pen final next season?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:It's all a right horlix. I'm a bit old school and like things to be meritocratic wherever possible. Wishful thinking I know :roll:
I just like them to be vaguely intuitive.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dave wrote:Where is the Parker Pen final next season?
Same as the H Cup - Newcastle upon Tyne.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So if Leinster win the souper douper cup we qualify automatically without a play off.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/41909.php#.Wui9j3PTU0M

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

jean valjean wrote:So if Leinster win the souper douper cup we qualify automatically without a play off.

And Gloucester and Pau secure Top 6 finishes in their leagues this weekend, which will require multiple results to happen.

Putting it simply, it’s a long shot.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Neill_M wrote:
jean valjean wrote:So if Leinster win the souper douper cup we qualify automatically without a play off.

And Gloucester and Pau secure Top 6 finishes in their leagues this weekend, which will require multiple results to happen.

Nope. The article says if Leinster win then Ulster qualify without a playoff. Bit of confusion around tonight.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

jean valjean wrote:
Neill_M wrote:

Nope. The article says if Leinster win then Ulster qualify without a playoff. Bit of confusion around tonight.

Check our Mr Mulligan’s twitter feed @r_mulligan1 - that will explain it all

Putting it simply, the Challenge SF sides all have to make the H Cup in 18/19 via their leagues for the spot to pass down to the league of the winner of the H Cup this year.