Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by bazzaj »

Loved the chat especially about the AIL as I'm a bit out of loop over here.
Still can't get used to Banbridge and Ballynahinch being refered to as top dogs in Ulster though.

Your panel and Les Kiss's conclusion that to not cough up possession was a sole solution to prevent counter attacks I found slightly worrying.

Yes looking after the pill is one thing but you can't just say that's the be all and end all.
Counter attack opportunities are inevitable in rugby unless you achieve perfection in kicking and handling which is a far cry for us.

Surely situational training would be the way forward.
Put the players in counter attacking scenarios and put in a strategy to counter that.
Basically when it comes to a counter situation each player is then familiar and recognises it, knows their role.and reacts accordingly.
Its not as if they don't have the time to rehearse this being full time professionals.

With all the solutions to counter various counter attacks there will not be one that doesnt include forming a defensive line as quick as humanly possible.
We don't do that.
A good starting point therefore methinks.

If Les wants to pm me I'll gladly expand.
Last edited by bazzaj on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:Loved the chat especially about the AIL as I'm a bit out of loop over here.
Still can't get used to Banbridge and Ballynahinch being refered to as top dogs in Ulster though.

Your panel and Les Kiss's conclusion that to not cough up possession was a sole solution to prevent counter attacks I found slightly worrying.

Yes looking after the pill is one thing but you can't just say that's the be all and end all.
Counter attack opportunities are inevitable in rugby unless you achieve perfection in kicking and handling which is a far cry for us.

Surely situational training would be the way forward.
Put the players in counter attacking scenarios and put in a strategy to counter that.
Basically when it comes to a counter situation each player is then familiar and recognises it, knows their role.and reacts accordingly.
Its not as if they don't have the time to rehearse this being full time professionals.

If Les wants to pm me I'll gladly expand.
Banbridge has always had a quality set up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Maybe in the clubhouse
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:Maybe in the clubhouse
I think BB would be the first to say whilst functional the clubhouse could be improved

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote:Just listened to this. Wish i shared your optimism about 23 points from the next 5 games which include 3 away fixtures to Kings, Dragons and Quins. I'd take that right now!

Kings W

Dragons hard to call, depends if we play like total arses or rugby players.

Hairyqueens L

I am totally at a loss to look at Ulster's form and suggest they will beat anyone but Kings away. I suppose it's within the realms of possibility that we might beat Queens, but I expect a loss.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Always interesting to hear what others think, even when they're wrong.

How anyone who has watched Ulster this past three seasons could be confident we'll win any away games is simply beyond me.
Clearly we should be beating the Kings, even with the travelling injured, but I for one have a sickening feeling we may well be the first team in the Pro14 to lose to the Kings. I doubt if I'm alone in thinking it might happen.

Re FOLK's reply about not dropping the ball. He once again used the time honoured 'We'll be working hard in training to fix it"

I'd like to know how many times we've heard this same Kiss platitude in the past few years?
Dave could probably splice the clips together into a formidable rap.

Every single time we come up short, Kiss has used a variation on that 'Working hard in training' line. FFS these are PROFESSIONAL RUGBY PLAYERS we're talking about. Not Boys Model 2nd years (year 9 new money). Try keeping them out of the gym for a week or two and let them run passing drills until their arms fall off. Some of them look like they couldn't carry the ball if it was handed to them in a carrier bag.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Tender wrote:Always interesting to hear what others think, even when they're wrong.

How anyone who has watched Ulster this past three seasons could be confident we'll win any away games is simply beyond me.
Clearly we should be beating the Kings, even with the travelling injured, but I for one have a sickening feeling we may well be the first team in the Pro14 to lose to the Kings. I doubt if I'm alone in thinking it might happen.

Re FOLK's reply about not dropping the ball. He once again used the time honoured 'We'll be working hard in training to fix it"

I'd like to know how many times we've heard this same Kiss platitude in the past few years?
Dave could probably splice the clips together into a formidable rap.

Every single time we come up short, Kiss has used a variation on that 'Working hard in training' line. FFS these are PROFESSIONAL RUGBY PLAYERS we're talking about. Not Boys Model 2nd years (year 9 new money). Try keeping them out of the gym for a week or two and let them run passing drills until their arms fall off. Some of them look like they couldn't carry the ball if it was handed to them in a carrier bag.
I've just watched a video with Ulster players doing some kind of catching drill with a cricket bat and a tennis ball.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Ok Dave, are you behind my sofa? if you find my feck down the back, let me know. I just watched that and had a chuckle. A good exercise for hand-eye coordination, but running at speed, or lumbering at glacial and catching an egg shaped ball is entirely different from standing in a circle with someone hitting a cricket ball in yer general direction.
Muscle memory is a powerful tool (we have a lot of tools), so I'd rather see them practicing catching a feckin rugby ball whilst on the run.
From what I've seen, most of them drop it because they're looking for the next pass, or at who is gonna hit them, before they catch the feckin ball. That is schoolboy stuff and I can still hear
Ernie Davis voice screaming out over Mountpleasant at anyone who took their eye off the ball.
'Watch it and you'll catch it' even if beagle pings it at yer left lug.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Interesting that as the boys on the pod casts said the error counts were similar so conditions maybe played a part.
Thing is they punish errors and you make 14 against a top side like Leinster, expect to lose.

Catching practice isn't an issue.
If you have to practice catching at pro level you might as well give up.
Should be pretty much a given.

The main problem is of course pressure and simulating pressure situations in training would be more worthwhile.
However can't imagine the intensity and pressure being simulated in the same fashion at Ulsters training sessions by our toothless lot, compared to Leinster.

Ours can't handle pressure, excuse the pun.
Whether it's passing catching set piece they crumble under it

Same old story of mentally fragility particularly up front.
Gives new meaning to t-cup.
Thinking craply under pressure.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Tender wrote:Ok Dave, are you behind my sofa? if you find my feck down the back, let me know. I just watched that and had a chuckle. A good exercise for hand-eye coordination, but running at speed, or lumbering at glacial and catching an egg shaped ball is entirely different from standing in a circle with someone hitting a cricket ball in yer general direction.
Muscle memory is a powerful tool (we have a lot of tools), so I'd rather see them practicing catching a feckin rugby ball whilst on the run.
From what I've seen, most of them drop it because they're looking for the next pass, or at who is gonna hit them, before they catch the feckin ball. That is schoolboy stuff and I can still hear
Ernie Davis voice screaming out over Mountpleasant at anyone who took their eye off the ball.
'Watch it and you'll catch it' even if beagle pings it at yer left lug.
I'm not stalking you but you need more milk.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Maybe we should organise forward practice against Munster

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Are you referring to England and Wales joint camp?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

damianmcr wrote:Are you referring to England and Wales joint camp?
That's what i said

bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Suggestions to get more aggression/ anger out of the current Ulster pack.
1. Cattle prods.
2. Kidnap their families
3. Hard labour on a Ballymoney farm.
4.Ban lattes
5. Ban cappuccino
6.Ban coffee
7.Ban bridge
8.Train with live weaponry
9.Give Robbie Diack a Chinese burn / boot up the hole before kick off
10. Give Robbie Diack a Chinese burn/ boot up hole after the game.
11.Mispell their names on the match programme.
12.Make them park outside the stadium before kick offs.
13.And pay for tickets
14. Confiscate all electronic items and replace them with a phonecard ( 10 pound monthly limit).
15. Get primark knitwear section to make their sports casuals.
If they don't like it they can always feck off so it's win win.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Just caught up on this series. I wish I was as confident re Quins.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk