Justin Harrison

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

colind
Squire

Justin Harrison

Post by colind »

Reported on BBC (as usual we heard it there first!)

Justin Harrison will be fit and ready to play for Ulster by the start of the season after overcoming a hand injury sustained in a Super 12 match in June.

The second row forward has been released from his Australian Rugby contract and will be training with his new team-mates within a fortnight.

Harrison, capped 34 times by Australia, should be available for the friendlies against London Irish and Rotherham.

Before that, he will take part in an intensive pre-season programme.

"I am very excited to be joining Ulster and starting a new phase in my career," the 31-year-old told the Belfast Telegraph.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I think we are quite excited as well. hip hip horray.

Colin :twisted:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

good news
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Mid-Terrace
Novice

Post by Mid-Terrace »

Is this the very same Justin Harrison that some poor poster was berated for suggesting would be coming to Ulster a while back???

I was hurt - REAL hurt!!!
Mine's a pint!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Alright MT, you got it right :D have a saucer of milk and give us your next exclusive :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Looks like he is on his way :D

Harrison reflects on his wild ride
By James MacSmith
Sunday, July 24, 2005
Controversial second-rower Justin Harrison leaves the Wallabies in good shape.
The often influential and sometimes controversial Justin Harrison farewells Australian rugby this week, and insists he leaves with no regrets.

Harrison was a key figure at provincial and national level for 10 years. He was instrumental in the ACT Brumbies' maiden Super 12 triumph in 2001, went within a whisker of winning a World Cup in 2003 and helped turn the underachieving Waratahs into a Super 12 force.

He has also made a significant contribution to the first generation of professional players as president of the Rugby Union Players Association. But he will be best remembered for his series-winning lineout grab against the throw against the British Lions in his debut Test in 2001.

A spat with his former coach at the Brumbies, David Nucifora, also created headlines this season and last.

Harrison heads to Irish club Ulster on Friday with his wife Janneke and is looking forward to a new chapter in his life.

"I'd pretty much accepted that my time with the Wallabies was up," he said.

"I've got no hard feelings there at all. I've been lucky enough to play for my country and not many people can say that. It's been a great ride and a great time.

"Some of my best times have been with the Wallabies, and celebrating wins with teammates and supporters alike, and I will miss that but I'm now entering a new stage of my life.

"I can understand that [Wallabies coach] Eddie [Jones] has to look to guys who are going to be around for the 2007 World Cup and that doesn't include me.

"But just because I've played my last Test for the Wallabies doesn't mean that I won't be pulling on the Ulster jumper and trying my heart out there too."

Harrison's candid assessment of the talents of his former coach Nucifora set tongues wagging in rugby circles.

"I was asked my opinion of him as a coach and I gave an honest answer," he said. "That's the type of person I am and I have no regrets about that.

"He showed what he thought of my playing talent when he chose not to renew my contract.

"Somehow, I ended up playing in the World Cup final later that year, so other people who matter must have been happy with the way I was playing.

"I don't know the guy personally. A lot of players don't know their coaches personally. But I guess we had a difference of opinion on professional matters."

Harrison found himself in the headlines in March when he made a racial slur during a Super 12 match. He said it was the toughest period of his life.

"It was more than a test of character for me," he said. "It went a lot deeper than that. I still can't explain what happened.

"It was a terrible, dark, awful time for me, my family and my friends. There were days when it didn't seem worth getting out of bed. But you learn from these things and move on."

With Dan Vickerman, Harrison formed the leading lineout combination in the Super 12, helping NSW's surge to the final. The tough second-rower was the lineout chief for the Waratahs and Wallabies. He will be sorely missed by both outfits but he is confident of their future success.

"There is no doubt in my mind that the Waratahs can win the first Super 14," he said. "But they can't just expect it to happen just because it did this year. There is a lot of hard work and luck involved. They can't rest on their laurels."

And as for the Wallabies: "There are some very good young locks coming through . . . you can be sure they will remain a competitive side over the coming years and be right in the mix for the next World Cup."
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

In September/October (the date is really not that important) Harrison is asked by one local reporter has he learned anything since coming to Ulster about forward play in the NH.

For someone that is open and honest god help the forwards coach.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

"But just because I've played my last Test for the Wallabies doesn't mean that I won't be pulling on the Ulster jumper and trying my heart out there too."

Well I should bloody hope so - what else are we paying you for?

"I was asked my opinion of him as a coach and I gave an honest answer," he said. "That's the type of person I am and I have no regrets about that.

second that CT. Nucifora actually won a S12. What will JH make of our setup?
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Add in the other Justin and things could get rather hot up front this year, a good hard man up front is what we lacked last year and now we have 2 of them plus N. Best and Matt as backup :D :D
Rory Best
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Watch out Sniffer there is a man with a big load of experience wanting to let it all come out.

Colin :twisted:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Justin Harrison arrives Belfast Monday 1 Aug

First duty is a press conference.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

That means cables that the first news we hear from him will be on the BBC site on Monday not the UR site :roll:
Any chance of tootsie getting in and bringing us the story here first :D
Rory Best
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

i'll get on to her... **tootsie's** PC is still broken so she's not on here much at the mo :shock: btw the 'plank' is the main feature of issue 3 of HOOKER mag* (out next month)

:wink: she's lookin for someone to interview for it... any suggestions? (my cameo appearances/bench warming duties for BRA's 1's and more regularly the 2's back in the day didn't quite cut it :shock: :( )

* i'm duty bound to let you know that issue 2 is now available and **tootsie** had a double page feature on bryan young. <<end of shameless plug>>
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Either or preferably both of the Justins :D
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Would be annoyed if true that members of the supporters club were told they wouldn't be welcome at the press conference.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU