Modern Supporter Question

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Modern Supporter Question

Post by fuzzylogic »

Just something that has been bothering me for some time now, and I wondered if anyone else felt the same.

I have become a bit disenfranchised with the new crowd that now goes to Ravenhill as its the place to be seen, rather than the going to support Ulster.

I had this displeasure for the first half last Friday of standing in front of a group of 4 middle aged women who had absolutely no interest in the game what so ever but were decked out head to toe in every bit of UR merchandise they could buy. They spent the majority of the game talking about who they liked the most and lusting after their youth. (They actually moved at half time so they could go and stand behind the technical area and I quote "to be closer to the boys")

This unfortunately is not a one off incident with more and more of these people men and woman a like creeping in on a Friday evening. I just wonder, if we do go on another good run will we get a lot more of these folk at the expense of real rugby people.

Obviously the money form ticketing and merchandise is important, but is it an issue, or am I seeing too much into this and just need to relax :lol:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Re: Modern Supporter Question

Post by nonplussed »

I had this increased disenfranchisement over recent years to the point that I didn't renew my ST. I simply don't enjoy match nights as much. I still go to games but not religiously as I used to.

I raised this with FIT, he wished me good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Same here non, I gave up my ST at the end of last season, first time I've had one in years, lasted a season. :banghead:
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

This is my first year going to games but I'd like (hope) to think that I give a decent account of myself as a new supporter in Ravenhill.

I've actually started going as I've moved home from Liverpool, where I went to the saccer games quite often. There was a massive element of the Anfield support that got on my mammaries the last few seasons, and I have to admit that I see some elements of it at Ravenhill, but certainly not as bad.

That said, wait til there's a game which is completely 100% sold out, where genuine supporters are struggling for tickets, and you land to the stadium to find entire rows of people watching the game through their iPad cameras... Now THAT will boil your pi$h...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Fuzzy,firstly good to see you back.

Here's the thing, tickets are readily available, if "real" rugby people aren't buying them and attending then maybe you've got it wrong, the old 8500 regulars also contained clampits.

He's us Fuzzy, Morning Iron has no shortage of clampits.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Doncha hate posting on a bloody phone >threaten
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Nothing wrong with educating and increasing a fan base, love to see families making it a Friday night experience. My issues are with loud, late coming myopic nobs plied with drink who know exactly feck all about the game, shout at every decision by the ref, shout wake up Ulster all the time, cant appreciate any good play by any opposing side, push past to stand in front of you and lastly tell everyone Pienaar is crap. I would merrily borrow Baggy's gun and empty a few magazines of close range nostril shots to the amount of these pricks that seem to be on the increase.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

True fan debate
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

How dare you ... it's nothing to do with fans ... it's pedigree nobs I cant abide ... anywhere, at work, on the bus, politicians, traditional route planners ... live and let live somewhere else I say.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Guys behind me last week thought we were playing Scarlets for first 15 minutes... :shock:
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cornerfleg wrote:Nothing wrong with educating and increasing a fan base, love to see families making it a Friday night experience. My issues are with loud, late coming myopic nobs plied with drink who know exactly feck all about the game, shout at every decision by the ref, shout wake up Ulster all the time, cant appreciate any good play by any opposing side, push past to stand in front of you and lastly tell everyone Pienaar is crap. I would merrily borrow Baggy's gun and empty a few magazines of close range nostril shots to the amount of these pricks that seem to be on the increase.
That's about right fleg. Too many of them on the terrace these days. I don't have a problem with a few middle aged weemin eyeing up the lads but some of the nobs are hard to stick. Still plenty of dacent fans there mind, and when I'm there on my ownsome I never have any problem finding a bit of convivial company.
The thought of a annoying neighbours is one of the things that woirrys me when the auld knees necessitate a move to the stands.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by HairyJ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:03 pm

This is my first year going to games but I'd like (hope) to think that I give a decent account of myself as a new supporter in Ravenhill.
Not at all Hairy J. Everyone is free to support in their own ways and everyone has different ideas about the games and different levels of knowledge thats all part and parcel of it.

Its the eejits that no nothing and dont want to know anything, come to be seen because Ravenhill is the new "place to go".
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

bangorboy wrote:Guys behind me last week thought we were playing Scarlets for first 15 minutes... :shock:
Were you standing in front of iHumph?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I don't mind people who don't understand the game. I do mind the ones who don't understand the game but think they do and spend time shouting rubbish.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

big mervyn wrote:The thought of a annoying neighbours is one of the things that woirrys me when the auld knees necessitate a move to the stands.
Been there, done that.

We moved up to the old grandstand about 6 seasons ago, one year we had Mr Ah God (no relation to Rodders), a miserable doomster who would probably have been better off watching the games from behind his sofa. We might have stuck him for 2 seasons actually.

Before the old stand came down we were surrounded by half time kids teams, most were ok but there was a fair number of annoying wee squirts who couldn't behave, sit down or sit still. I had to have a word on more than a few occasions. Thank god they relocated to the Family Stand as I couldn't have stuck much more of that.

We now have a Jim Neilly wannabe behind us, full match commentary, every game. He's not as bad as the previous 2 but it does a grate a bit at times. The band annoys me more in fairness.

We'll see what the renewal prices are before we gamble on another move Image