The future of Stuart Olding

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The future of Stuart Olding

Post by BaggyTrousers »

To celebrate the resigning of Stu Olding, I think it only fair to point out that Ulster are currently wasting a golden opportunity to see what kind of 10 Olding can be, for when that is need - like now for example. Instead we play a man who Ruan Pienaar was unwilling to pass to in the first 20 minutes, instead we played a flake who can no longer handle even Pro12 level the previous week, but who unlike Barbara has at least been blessed with talent in his career.

Ah, but what if Paddy & Olding are away with Ireland some of you ask? OK, that's an issue to be ocvered, but hear this, what if Paddy is injured for a decent part of the rest of the season? I'd like to know that Olding is up to the job as and when needed, not some chump like iHumph or Barbara FFS.

This has been a real opportunity wasted, damn you Les Kiss. >threaten
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:To celebrate the resigning of Stu Olding, I think it only fair to point out that Ulster are currently wasting a golden opportunity to see what kind of 10 Olding can be, for when that is need - like now for example. Instead we play a man who Ruan Pienaar was unwilling to pass to in the first 20 minutes, instead we played a flake who can no longer handle even Pro12 level the previous week, but who unlike Barbara has at least been blessed with talent in his career.

Ah, but what if Paddy & Olding are away with Ireland some of you ask? OK, that's an issue to be ocvered, but hear this, what if Paddy is injured for a decent part of the rest of the season? I'd like to know that Olding is up to the job as and when needed, not some chump like iHumph or Barbara FFS.

Baggy - out of interest, the talent the guy has, do you think with a run of games and some work during the summer he could end up being a serious rival to PJ for the 10 jersey, or do you see his role there as a back up?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Stu should make the position that best suits his talent his own. It's his career, no one else's and feck Schit. Me, I see him as a15. Wide open spaces, run Forrest run... Great that he has the talent to probably be first choice in a number of positions if he puts his mind to it; 12, 13 and 15 IMO. But needs a run at it, not doing the hokey cokey every other week and end up like Paddy Wallace......
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We need to stop messing Stu around. Once the 6N is over and proper rugby resumes, I want to see him at 12 and getting 10-30 minutes at first receiver as and when the games allow. As things stand, we are an injury to PJ away from having to abandon a season that promised little, but could deliver much. We need somebody credible at 10 and we know that Nelson is crocked and neither iHumph nor the Duke are up to it. We are running out of candidates very fast.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Stu should make the position that best suits his talent his own. It's his career, no one else's and feck Schit. Me, I see him as a15. Wide open spaces, run Forrest run... Great that he has the talent to probably be first choice in a number of positions if he puts his mind to it; 12, 13 and 15 IMO. But needs a run at it, not doing the hokey cokey every other week and end up like Paddy Wallace......
10 or 12 I reckon for the rest of the season
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Russ wrote:Giteau has played 9 for Australia

I put Olding in the same bracket as Matt
I'm shocked but I agree with you for once!! Stuart is our equivalent of Matt Giteau-- personally I see him as a 10-12.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Delighted he's staying.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Giteau is more of a natural halfback that Olding. Giteau's distribution game is top quality. We haven't seen that from Stu yet, mainly because he hasn't had a real opportunity. I'm not saying that Stu doesn't have a good enough distribution game to be a real success at 10, just that we haven't seen it. What we do know is that he is a sensational natural ball in hand player and much as CIMAN is right he can play fullback to a high level. We are well equipped at 15. What Stu does at 12 is the golden ticket. Guys with his speed of thought and action who can create in tight spaces are like hens teeth. That's where he is best used. Payne and Piutau are both better fullbacks than Stu, but nobody is a better 12. I rest my case............

For Now
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:To celebrate the resigning of Stu Olding, I think it only fair to point out that Ulster are currently wasting a golden opportunity to see what kind of 10 Olding can be, for when that is need - like now for example. Instead we play a man who Ruan Pienaar was unwilling to pass to in the first 20 minutes, instead we played a flake who can no longer handle even Pro12 level the previous week, but who unlike Barbara has at least been blessed with talent in his career.

Baggy - out of interest, the talent the guy has, do you think with a run of games and some work during the summer he could end up being a serious rival to PJ for the 10 jersey, or do you see his role there as a back up?
I see him as our best 12, but with the ability that no other current Ulster player, barring Paddy, has to play 10. Paddy has more control with the boot, the one facet which I'm yet to be convinced about with Stu. So back up in case of need.

I like the idea of Stu being a back up in case of need at 10, but I want him to be outstanding at 12 and be the first pick in that shirt.

For the record, though he's still learning, I think Paddy is a seriously talented at 10 and a better passing game, especially in traffic, than any 10 in the last 20 years in Ireland. With him becoming increasingly good at placekicking now that the job is finally his, I reckon he will challenge Sexton seriously and has been in better form than Janny this season.

Anyone remember the Toulouse game at home? Yeah me too, one of the very best bits was Paddy pinning penalties deep into their 22 to set attacking positions, hos accuracy was magnificent, like O'Gara. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

What I like about the idea of Olding at 15 is it gives him freedom to enter the line at first or second receiver when it's on and do the damage we know he can, but frees him from taking the repeated crash ball collisions both ways. Only thing I'd question about him at full-back is his ability under the high ball at the highest level but other than that, he should be capable of playing full-back to the highest level.

But I doubt I'll be too displeased by whatever Kiss/Schmidt do with Olding as long as he's on the pitch, that's the beauty of a player that ridiculously talented.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Totally chuffed at this news. From what I have seen of him so far I am convinced that 12 is his spot. I hope that he is not labelled as a utility back, being shifted from pillar to post each outing. The guy has the potential to be one of the greats and I hope playing in one position gives him the opportunity to succeed. :cheers:
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jockster wrote:
Russ wrote:Giteau has played 9 for Australia

I put Olding in the same bracket as Matt
I'm shocked but I agree with you for once!! Stuart is our equivalent of Matt Giteau-- personally I see him as a 10-12.
People seem to agree with me a lot
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

UR see Stuart as a flyhalf.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

The Great Mike Gibson played outhalf initially but really shone when playing centre. SO reminds me of him.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

scrum5 wrote:UR see Stuart as a flyhalf.....
They do?