RWC - Group B

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

10 or 15 only
Initiate

Re: RWC - Group B

Post by 10 or 15 only »

He has now been promoted to captain for the Scotland game, Matfield being injured.

Our Ruan may well be ready for some rugby when he returns to his adopted home.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Hate to say it but Fourie Du Preez made a big difference.
As he always has done. Hardly the biggest surprise. Du Preez is one of the best scrum halves of the last 20 years.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
As he always has done. Hardly the biggest surprise. Du Preez is one of the best scrum halves of the last 20 years.
Yes. But he is looking past his best. Was very impressed by that little 18 year old SH for Georgia. Played like a veteran and was not about to take any shiit from anyone. Tiny Tanaka for Japan is a great wee player too. Sorry to see that Matawalu of Samoa is out injured. Another exciting 9.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

How does Richie Gray keep being selected? He's brad pitt.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Spiffsson wrote:
Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Yes. But he is looking past his best. Was very impressed by that little 18 year old SH for Georgia. Played like a veteran and was not about to take any shiit from anyone. Tiny Tanaka for Japan is a great wee player too. Sorry to see that Matawalu of Samoa is out injured. Another exciting 9.
He's not the player he was, but he's still fairly effective.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

againstthehead wrote:Boks, Samoa, Scotland, USA and Japan make up group B.

Boks are obviously the stand-out side, however, if they win the group they end up playing the runner-up of Group A so not much of a prize as that's likely to be England or Ozzie. The boks haven't exactly been setting the Southern Hemisphere on fire having lost all 3 Rugby Championship games. However, that doesn't tell the full story as they should have beaten ozzie away and were robbed by the ABs on their home turf. They should be reasonably comfortable in this group and will be strong contenders for the title.

2nd spot is up for grabs. Scotland and Samoa have different strengths and weaknesses so I'm finding it hard to separate the two of them. Indeed, if either of them underestimate Japan or the USA they could get a rattle as those sides will be throwing the ball about. Although my head says Scotland as they'll have a bit more structure, I'm gonna go with Samoa as I love the passion and physicality the Samoan guys bring to the game.

Doesn't quite have the heavyweights of Group A but enough in there to keep it interesting.
So much for punting on Samoa. They'll be hugely disappointed with their performance in this RWC. Japan will take the plaudits and rightly so. The Boks came out pretty strong but they're going to have a tough route through to the final now. Decent group though.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Samoa were a good bet but for me were the biggest disappointment in the world cup.
The way they succumbed to Japan and South Africa was so unlike them.

Scotland I have been impressed with particularly the way in which they have managed when the pressure has come on when they would have folded in the past.
In each of their games when the opposition has put the heat on they have responded by not panicking and sticking to their game plan.
Their half backs and back row have been key to that.

They have achieved their ambitions now and can have a free lash at Australia and still emerge with credit no matter what the outcome will be.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

This has been the weakest group by some distance in my view.
Samoa have been poor.
Scotland were lucky to get Japan on a four day turn around.
South Africa have played in fits and starts and are a better team without De Villiers and Matfield.
Japan have been the stars of the group and probably competition.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Snipe Watson wrote:Japan have been the stars of the group and probably competition.
Should they win today they'd be the first ever team to win three matches and not qualify for the quarter-finals.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Japan have been the stars of the group and probably competition.
Should they win today they'd be the first ever team to win three matches and not qualify for the quarter-finals.
I would love to see Japan march on in rugby terms. It would be great to see another top class country develop. Japan is a wealthy country, so they don't need WR support like other smaller unions and you'd think it fits well with the Japanese psyche of honourable combat.
The next 4 years will obviously be key.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

What I'd like to now see is Japan being given tours and tests in the Northern Hemisphere Autumn

They play an attractive brand of rugby and let's not forget tore Wales a new one a season or 2 back
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:This has been the weakest group by some distance in my view.
Samoa have been poor.
South Africa have played in fits and starts and are a better team without De Villiers and Matfield.
Sadly Snipe, if you are being objective you have to add Ruan in with those two, with Fourie du Preez they have been a different class.

#4/5yrssolidrugbywilldothattothebest.

And yes by a long way the weakest and yes Scotland done a huge favour with the short turnaround Japan had.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:This has been the weakest group by some distance in my view.
Samoa have been poor.
Sadly Snipe, if you are being objective you have to add Ruan in with those two, with Fourie du Preez thay have been a diffeent class.

#4/5yrssolidrugbywilldothattothebest.

And yes by a long way the weakest and yes Scotland done a huge favour with the short turnaround Japan had.
Pienaar is crap. If I were Meyer, I'd send him home straight away.
You are right, du Preez is a fantastic player.