Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Cricket season

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:57 pm Why the hook shot with 7 runs required and exposing the absolute tail of leach and Jimmy A......who abso!utely did not deserve to be out in this position
I guess the cavalier approach from start to finish is all part and parcel of "Bazball".

Might be a different reaction if it happens in a deciding Ashes test mind.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

That was nothing to do with Bazball.

Foakes had been turning down runs and chipping away valiantly, alongside the stoic Leach, until then.

His downfall was the usual combination of pressure and (arguably) poor decision making, compounded by poor execution.

Always batting in glasses and never a helmet tended to discourage me from hooking!
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:39 pm
justinr73 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:37 amBugger.
Stayed up to the wee hours following that.

Really thought Jimmy was going to score the winning runs.

You can't say Stokes doesn't provide entertainment.
I stayed up as well. Completely wrecked my sleep for the rest of the week. I can face listening to the likes of Jim, Sammy and Gerry (Kelly)

Only time I usually pull an all nighter is on Thursday nights at election time. Like to see who is going to be leading the uk then a few hours kip before
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:39 pm You can't say Stokes doesn't provide entertainment.
yes you can! :whistle:

Stokes doesn't provide entertainment.

There - I said it. :duck:

Not a fan since his court case days. I didn't find any of that entertaining. I doubt the others involved in the incident found it entertaining either.

But hey, none of that matters because he plays for Engerland and "provides entertainment" :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:20 pm
big mervyn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:39 pm You can't say Stokes doesn't provide entertainment.

Not a fan since his court case days. I didn't find any of that entertaining. I doubt the others involved in the incident found it entertaining either.

But hey, none of that matters because he plays for Engerland and "provides entertainment" :roll:
I'm a still a bit confused about that case.

Was he just being a thug or gallantly standing up for two gay blokes after initially being a bit homophobic himself?

Maybe someone can clarify.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:48 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:20 pm

I'm a still a bit confused about that case.

Was he just being a thug or gallantly standing up for two gay blokes after initially being a bit homophobic himself?

Maybe someone can clarify.
I have my own opinion, but wouldn't wish to express that in case BBC won't employ me as a pundit or cricket presenter.

I'm quite prepared to do Walkers crisp ads too if required.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Another boring game of Test cricket….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64937730
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So that’s Duckett getting the fastest 150 at Lord’s (beating Sir Don’s record) and being one of three and the first since Hobbs to score a hundred runs before lunch there.

Pope then gets the fastest ever double hundred in England (beating Sir Ian’s record).
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:20 pm So that’s Duckett getting the fastest 150 at Lord’s (beating Sir Don’s record) and being one of three and the first since Hobbs to score a hundred runs before lunch there.

Pope then gets the fastest ever double hundred in England (beating Sir Ian’s record).
Sirs Don and Ian (Lord Beefy these days of course) never got the chance to play against Ireland

Let's face it. We really shouldn't have got Test status. I know other fledgling test nations struggled at first, but cricket is a national game and obsession in the former colonies that play.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well I didn’t like to say….!

Ireland had a decent side for a good few years, of course, but they were all pretty much finished by the time Test status was granted.

The fact that the glorious Brexit has effectively ended the chances of the lads getting experience in County Cricket (even the Brits amongst them) isn’t helpful.

Tector is one we might have encouraged to follow in the bootsteps of the likes of Morgan and Joyce.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:20 pm So that’s Duckett getting the fastest 150 at Lord’s (beating Sir Don’s record) and being one of three and the first since Hobbs to score a hundred runs before lunch there.

TMS factoid
If Eng win and Stokes doesn't bowl, he will become the first captain in history to win a test match without batting bowling or keeping wkt in the match.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Mike Brearley may as well have not batted.

Good stuff by Ireland today.

Stokes pretended his knee was fine but it didn’t look like it when he took the catch.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

The days of having a professional captain who didn't bat or bowl much are long gone. In my youth I watched Lancashire quite a bit. They were captained by the late Jack Bond who didn't bowl and rarely had much of an impact on the score board when batting. He was though a great leader who brought the best out of the rest of the team. Definitely worth a place in the side.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:19 am Mike Brearley may as well have not batted.

Good stuff by Ireland today.

Stokes pretended his knee was fine but it didn’t look like it when he took the catch.
Mike had a big brain though. Think he averaged about 22

On the evidence Stokes shouldn't be in the side for the first test. England would have much better balance without him at the moment.

Michael McNamee isn't bad on the TMS team but I wish he would stop being so deferential to 'Sir' Alastair Cook. By all means use the title to introduce him but leave it at that.
Big Neville Southall