Question for Cables

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Question for Cables

Post by big mervyn »

How does McGlock's win/loss record in competitive matches to date compare with his 2 predecessors?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Question for Cables

Post by Jackie Brown »

Would be an interesting stat for sure.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Not really, MW didn't have Ruan, Johann, Pedrie, etc.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

All that matters is that Brian has taken Ulster to two QF's (maybe more) where as The two previous coaches haven't! :cheers:
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Then again McCall won 2 trophies - we haven't won anything since.

A favourable spin can be put on most stats
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

2? :scratch:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

Ardglass2 wrote:Then again McCall won 2 trophies - we haven't won anything since.

A favourable spin can be put on most stats

McCall only won the 1 trophy with Ulster, the league in 2006, Solomons was coach when we won the Celtic Cup in 2003
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

There you go. You come home from Ravenhill, have your supper, pour a wee drink, talk to Cordelia briefly and logon only to find a request.

I do sometimes respond to requests but other times I just let them slide - I do what I want to do.

BR has previously observed my tendency to include caveats and I do so again now. Others have already posted at least some of what would be my caveats on this one.

I am not trying to be smart when I say that posting Mcl's stats along with the prior 2 Ulster coaches would probably not give Big Merv the information he really wanted IMO. The last 2 were Williams (3) and Williams (2) - Matt and Steve.

Going from the 1995 season Ulster have had 9 coaches. The first 3 (season each) only had 23 games between them and the overall win/loss ratio was 7:16.

Steve Williams only had 8 games and a ratio of 1:3.

The significant players (number of games) have been Williams (1), Solomons, McCall, Williams (3) and McLaughlin with 41, 63, 86, 33 and 73 respectively.

My records tend to major on capped games. Morocco and the Ireland XV were capped games. Do I include these - questions, questions. I decided to leave them out. Only IIC, Celtic and ERC games have been left in (hopefully).

Then you have the draws. Do I leave them in as - 0.5 of a win? Left them out of these calcs.

In ranked order of W/L:
Solomons = 2.05
McLaughlin = 1.45
McCall = 1.13
Williams (1) = 0.85
Williams (3) = 0.68

Surely a travesty to present Harry as next to bottom when he is the only ERC Winning coach? #nonreply

Loved doing that last bit of typing, although in twitter terms I really do not know what exactly it means.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cheers mate. That's pretty much what I was looking for - might have include the draws as halves though :lol: Gives you the option of working out the %ages.

Alan Solomons' record certainly looks extremely impressive on paper.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Must be an Aussie. :lol:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Not really, MW didn't have Ruan, Johann, Pedrie, etc.
Or a brain................ but he did gurn a lot about a "yang toime" what did he want, a few ould lads my age?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

D'ye like cricket Cables? Would have thought your penchant for statistical exactness would be admirably suited to the noble game.
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Totally different era and just shows how amazing it was for a small provincial team like Ulster to win the European Cup when they did, Ulster and Ireland much more professional now.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

cables wrote:There you go. You come home from Ravenhill, have your supper, pour a wee drink, talk to Cordelia briefly and logon only to find a request.

I do sometimes respond to requests but other times I just let them slide - I do what I want to do.

BR has previously observed my tendency to include caveats and I do so again now. Others have already posted at least some of what would be my caveats on this one.

I am not trying to be smart when I say that posting Mcl's stats along with the prior 2 Ulster coaches would probably not give Big Merv the information he really wanted IMO. The last 2 were Williams (3) and Williams (2) - Matt and Steve.

Going from the 1995 season Ulster have had 9 coaches. The first 3 (season each) only had 23 games between them and the overall win/loss ratio was 7:16.

Steve Williams only had 8 games and a ratio of 1:3.

The significant players (number of games) have been Williams (1), Solomons, McCall, Williams (3) and McLaughlin with 41, 63, 86, 33 and 73 respectively.

My records tend to major on capped games. Morocco and the Ireland XV were capped games. Do I include these - questions, questions. I decided to leave them out. Only IIC, Celtic and ERC games have been left in (hopefully).

Then you have the draws. Do I leave them in as - 0.5 of a win? Left them out of these calcs.

In ranked order of W/L:
Solomons = 2.05
McLaughlin = 1.45
McCall = 1.13
Williams (1) = 0.85
Williams (3) = 0.68

Surely a travesty to present Harry as next to bottom when he is the only ERC Winning coach? #nonreply

Loved doing that last bit of typing, although in twitter terms I really do not know what exactly it means.

Cables - thanks for that :salut: . I wouldn't ask you to dig any further but I'm sure that a graph of McCall's ratio would look pretty interesting. From what I recall, it would be a very low win ratio for almost a season and a half, then an exceptionally high one for around another year (think we went from New Year unbeaten when we won the CL and started the following season really well) and then pretty much freefall thereafter.

As is often the case, stats only tell part of the story.

ps. Big Merv - I checked out your stats http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... e=allround. 212 wickets in 52 tests at 28.38 is pretty impressive for a guy who was more famous for his 'tache and sledging abilities!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: ps. Big Merv - I checked out your stats http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... e=allround. 212 wickets in 52 tests at 28.38 is pretty impressive for a guy who was more famous for his 'tache and sledging abilities!
[/quote]

More test wickets than Thommo, even if the barsteward did have a slightly better average. They used to say my run up was like a wardrobe rolling down a hill, but hey, the stats don't lie.
Big Neville Southall