Injury Update

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Re: Injury Update

Post by Joe Schmo »

What a waste, hindsight is an amazing thing, but could the academy not have played last Friday night? Not that I care what happens the rest of the season.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

One for the medical people but Lyttle was walking around on the pitch after last weeks match after having come off with what even to the novice looked like a hamstring... now described as a significant injury... could this have been better protected and could doing so lesson any potential risk of adding to it..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Cockatrice wrote:One for the medical people but Lyttle was walking around on the pitch after last weeks match after having come off with what even to the novice looked like a hamstring... now described as a significant injury... could this have been better protected and could doing so lesson any potential risk of adding to it..
Was puzzled at that, assumed the injury must have been cramp and he came off as a precaution

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Is RICE still the goto protocol? If so, then at least two of those were broken.

Disclaimer: I might be wrong.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:Is RICE still the goto protocol? If so, then at least two of those were broken.

RICE is the protocol alright.
He was sitting on the bench with ice on it. If he came off around the 50 minute mark, he'd have had the ice off by 80. Don't think a few minutes walking round the pitch would cause a problem.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He should have been taken home by air ambulance.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:Is RICE still the goto protocol? If so, then at least two of those were broken.

He was sitting on the bench with ice on it. If he came off around the 50 minute mark, he'd have had the ice off by 80. Don't think a few minutes walking round the pitch would cause a problem.
I read an article at way back suggesting that strict adherence to rice in the first few hours is most critical. Reducing the blood flow decreases the intra muscular haemorrhage which can reduce the recovery period. It cannot undue the damage. Walking would increase blood flow as the muscle is forced to contract. It's not possible to rule out walking entirely but unnecessary walking might be deemed ill advised. You cannot use ice continuously but can rest and elevate for as long as you want.

I might be wrong and there is probably new evidence since that one article I read once (making me an expert).
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

I read an article at way back suggesting that strict adherence to rice in the first few hours is most critical. Reducing the blood flow decreases the intra muscular haemorrhage which can reduce the recovery period. It cannot undue the damage. Walking would increase blood flow as the muscle is forced to contract. It's not possible to rule out walking entirely but unnecessary walking might be deemed ill advised. You cannot use ice continuously but can rest and elevate for as long as you want.

I might be wrong and there is probably new evidence since that one article I read once (making me an expert).
I dunno Dave, I'm no medic.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Me neither. Let's never speak of this again.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Me neither. Let's never speak of this again.
"Non doctors" eh?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I thought it was PRICE now. i.e. don't play rugby in the first place
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

He left on crutches but that was just papering over the tear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Meanwhile Irish Examiner says Charlie not as bad as first thought, popped rib but will be 4 weeks at most out.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

Ah Dave, there's the Doctor - the Irish Examiner.
Actually, I would put the onus on the physio to get that Rice to the spot.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

"Top Doctoring ... It was like a merry-go-ICU on here last night"
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"