Ulster Coaches

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Ulster Coaches

Post by bootlaced »

I suppose I should have done a poll but still can't work out how to do it so in the meantime I would like to ask your opinion on whether or not our coaches are up to the job? and can they provide the mentorship to motivate the players, and secondly scare the beejayus out of them not to f e c k up again, :evil: :scratch:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Coaches

Post by Big-al »

Ask me in May

Remember what Sir Alex Ferguson said this week about cows?????
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

[quote="Big-al"]Ask me in May

Remember what Sir Alex Ferguson said this week about cows?????

thats the problem Al it should be asked now :wink:
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

yeah, we should judge them at the end of the season but on current performances you have to wonder...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
rich123
Novice

Post by rich123 »

1, DH and SL have sorted their end out
2, We have 3 World Cup winners, a lion, numerous internationals from several countries and some promising young players.

After the last 2 performances, and lets face it every other game we've sneaked through this year which is every game we've played. There appears to be something lacking.

So many good players dont all suffer a dip in form at the same time.

I dont accept the pish that were a developing team we need time to gel! The honeymood period is over for both players and coaching staff. The management with all their faults have delivered in terms of players, facilities, match night experience for fans. The only bloody thing thats not right is the most important is what happens on the pitch.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

For me the jury is still out. Wannenberg when he came here was a beast, but since then his form has dropped noticeably. Ruan hasn't shown too much yet which is a bit of a disappointment. Think we have improved a bit the past few games, but concerned the total is less than the sum of all the parts. Would definitely give them to the end of the season but that's how I would judge is today.
Binman
Novice

Post by Binman »

BM is a good schools rugby coach but there is little in his cv to suggest he is qualified to coach at ML level let alone HC. He was a stop gap appointment who did enough last season to merit the chance to prove himself. Unfortunately the early weeks of this season suggest that we need a new coaching team at HQ.
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

If you look at Joe Schmidt with Leinster. Here's a guy that has spent the last few years as a backs coach in one of the top clubs in Europe. He helped Clermont win the T14, and they arguably were good enough to win the H-Cup if not for Brock James choking at the RDS. He's experienced and saw first hand how a top quality outfit is run. He has inherited quality players and has good assistant coaches. I believe Leinster have done a good job in their recruitment of him.

Now lets look at who we hired after Matt Williams bug****d off. A former Ireland skills coach under Eddie O'Sullivan, which is to his credit. He's coached Malone, Instonians and Ballynahinch. Not to be disrespectful to the guy, but is that the kind of experience that helps build a team capable of competing with the best in Europe? Did he get selected mainly for his enthusiasm for Ulster Rugby to win? You can't argue with his desire to win, but does he have skills to achieve that desire? I really do hope that Shane Logan and David Humphries are looking around the globe for top quality coaching staff. You can buy a team of world-class players, just like Toulon, but that doesn't make them successful. Good coaching counts for a heck of alot, and this is the area I think we must focus on recruitment for next season.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Husky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:11 pm

I really do hope that Shane Logan and David Humphries are looking around the globe for top quality coaching staff.
Its all well and good saying that now, but Ulster, as much as we want to think it arnt a top club, not in the world, not in europe, on our own small island were 3rd best out of 4 which is nothing to shout about.

The only way a top coach is ever going to come here is if we become a very very good team who actually win a few things and then someone thinks "ooh theres a good side, I could go on there and make them a great side" or we take on another Matt Williams type character who's looking for a second chance ....... When does Dean Richards suspension end :lol:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
ArticDonkey

Post by ArticDonkey »

This is such a bitchy thread...give BMcL to the end of the season at least before you make up yer minds. Pienaar & co knew when they signed who the coaching staff were, or...er...maybe they might not have exactly heard of them but none the less they still signed. Ferris also just penned a new deal along with a few others. Ferris could have easily been snapped up by another club but he chose to stay with Brian McLaughlin the former PE teacher as head coach. I'm not an apologist for BMcL or the other coaches but do not blame them for recent defeats, that was down to the players alone, unable to catch the ball. Anyone who thinks you can simply add in a few SA internationals and suddenly we win every game will be somewhat dissapointed, it will take time for the team to gel. At the end of the season, however, the BMcL's performance will be judged on results. Lets see how he does.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by ArticDonkey » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Ferris could have easily been snapped up by another club but he chose to stay with Brian McLaughlin the former PE teacher as head coach.
Did he really??

Or did he sign on the word of Logie and Humphs that BMcL wouldnt be in charge after this season :stir:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

ArticDonkey wrote:This is such a bitchy thread...give BMcL to the end of the season at least before you make up yer minds. Pienaar & co knew when they signed who the coaching staff were, or...er...maybe they might not have exactly heard of them but none the less they still signed. Ferris also just penned a new deal along with a few others. Ferris could have easily been snapped up by another club but he chose to stay with Brian McLaughlin the former PE teacher as head coach. I'm not an apologist for BMcL or the other coaches but do not blame them for recent defeats, that was down to the players alone, unable to catch the ball. Anyone who thinks you can simply add in a few SA internationals and suddenly we win every game will be somewhat dissapointed, it will take time for the team to gel. At the end of the season, however, the BMcL's performance will be judged on results. Lets see how he does.
Artic - Agree with some of what you say but not the bit about everything being down to the players. Yes there were a number of errors yesterday but I really don't know why we were trying to play a relatively expansive game in the conditions. Our poor execution and lack of patience/discipline in the opposition 22 has been a regular feature throughout the season and this is not down to the players alone.

To be honest, the "blame the players entirely" line gets used a lot in sport as yes, ultimatley they are the ones on the pitch, but I don't always think it's correct to lay all of the blame at their door.

I had reservatinos about the choice of coach at the outset, given his lack of experience in a similar role at anywhere near this level, but you are right that we need to see how things pan out over the next few months.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

If we have good coaches,then not only will the players be extremely motivated to play,but they will play to a particular game plan and have a plan B when things come unstuck,this imho is a way to gage a coaches impact on the field of play,can someone explain to me what our gameplan has been in any of the games so far this season let alone having a plan B,sure we have had injuries and other outside influences but a good coach can plan for these things,our coaches at the moment don't seem to be able to come up with the goods,and as an aside some of our more experienced players should also cop some of the blame.
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

bootlaced wrote:If we have good coaches,then not only will the players be extremely motivated to play,but they will play to a particular game plan and have a plan B when things come unstuck,this imho is a way to gage a coaches impact on the field of play,can someone explain to me what our gameplan has been in any of the games so far this season let alone having a plan B,sure we have had injuries and other outside influences but a good coach can plan for these things,our coaches at the moment don't seem to be able to come up with the goods,and as an aside some of our more experienced players should also cop some of the blame.
Agree Bootlaced. been saying this for a while, surely McL & Co are on borrowed time IF they cannot deliver the said goods with what is argueably our best squad in some 10 years?

I wasn't expecting an overnight miracle even with the signings of Pienaar and the others but I do expect better than what is being delivered at the moment.

My other big concern about our signings is, IF we drop out of the HC and drop down the ML table what is that going
to do to their mental attitude .. that is something the coaching staff have to turn around, and judging by our lack of
ideas (technically) to turn games around, I doubt they are capable of turning attitudes around :?
ArticDonkey

Post by ArticDonkey »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by ArticDonkey » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Ferris could have easily been snapped up by another club but he chose to stay with Brian McLaughlin the former PE teacher as head coach.
Did he really??

Or did he sign on the word of Logie and Humphs that BMcL wouldnt be in charge after this season :stir:
I think Humph/Logie would have promised 1F one of their daughters for him to stay...so you might be right!
Bart S wrote:To be honest, the "blame the players entirely" line gets used a lot in sport as yes, ultimatley they are the ones on the pitch, but I don't always think it's correct to lay all of the blame at their door.
I can see where your coming from but based on what I saw from last night BMcL must have been pulling his hair out everytime we dropped the ball or butchered a move in Embra's 22. I think the players should shoulder the blame for this one.
bootlaced wrote:If we have good coaches,then not only will the players be extremely motivated to play,but they will play to a particular game plan and have a plan B when things come unstuck,this imho is a way to gage a coaches impact on the field of play,can someone explain to me what our gameplan has been in any of the games so far this season let alone having a plan B,sure we have had injuries and other outside influences but a good coach can plan for these things,our coaches at the moment don't seem to be able to come up with the goods,and as an aside some of our more experienced players should also cop some of the blame.
None of us are privvy to such information as to what BMcL's game plan might have been but I'm sure it included catching the ball and making tackles. Although in fairness I think plan B was bring on humph, maybe it should have been done earlier but then PW may have had to do at least 70mins first under Deccies orders. Who the hell knows?