World Cup

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

World Cup

Post by Shan »

Well the football World Cup is only a couple of days away now. Anybody got much interest? For those that do who do you think will win and who do hope will win?

I'm shouting for England as you can see. :)

Ah I think they have a bit of a chance but Ferdinand is a loss for them.

It would be great to see a non traditional powerhouse to win but they won't. I think the semi finals will be Argentina v Spain and England v Holland or Brazil. Mostly teams that want to play something resembling football so this would be pretty good I think although I suppose one of the old warriors, Italy and Germany, could come and bore their way past one of these in the quarter finals.

Oh and I got Brazil in the pools we did at work so I may give them a bit of a cheer if they look like they have a chance.

What I like to see at World Cups is good football and the top players showing their skills at the top level. This year what I'm looking forward to more than anything is seeing if Lionel Messi can show his unbelievable talent at international level on the biggest stage.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: World Cup

Post by pwrmoore »

I think you've just brought Holywood Mike on side with your new avatar Shan :lol:

p.s. who is it?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:Well the football World Cup is only a couple of days away now. Anybody got much interest?
House has been declared a soccer free zone for the duration.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote:Well the football World Cup is only a couple of days away now. Anybody got much interest?
Will not be watching any match. Don't know which teams are playing other than England. Free match schedule posters went to the recycliing bin still folded and unopened.

Already sick of the event from watching TV (general) news programmes only.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Rooster wrote:House has been declared a soccer free zone for the duration.
cables wrote:Will not be watching any match.
ohhh i feel ill, what with all the gayness flying about...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

am intrigued to see how england will get on this time around. will likely as ever be hoping they get dumped out in the groups or last 16, and if they get past that perhaps start to show an interest in them and be marginally disappointed when they get knocked out.
scott parker should have gone, as should adam johnston. they will be a hard side to beat, but goals might be the issue for them. having said that, roy of the rovers stevie g is a hero and the ultimate footballer - can see him captaining england to the win, and then deciding to stay at liverpool.

spain havent been firing on all cylinders in the preparation games but should come good - waiting on torres, cesc, iniesta who were injured at the latter end of the season.
brazil and holland looking good, argentina finally beginning to look like a team that can win.

brazil/ivory coast/portugal/north korea group looks awesome. might try and find some reporting of the tournament from north korea - regardless of the results it is likely to be reported at home that they have won the tournament with a record number of goals.

winner to come from brazil spain holland or the argies. england an outside bet but not even worth touching them at the bookies because of all the english goons thrrowing the patriotic £10 at them.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Will not be watching any match. Don't know which teams are playing other than England. Free match schedule posters went to the recycliing bin still folded and unopened.

Soccer free party in our shed this weekend, plenty of rugby matches to watch throughout the day accompanied by beer and bbq steak.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Rooster wrote:plenty of rugby matches to watch throughout the day accompanied by beer and bbq steak.
manhood restored.
i'd recommend a Cohina Esplendida, a wifebeater vest and a spot of tree-felling between games.
i'd avoid lime in your beer - in fact stay well clear of the overpriced undertasting mexican stuff that guys who wear white belts drink when they've had enough blue wkd.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

pwrmoore wrote:I think you've just brought Holywood Mike on side with your new avatar Shan :lol:

p.s. who is it?
Hey Paul I'm sure Mike would be impressed alright. Her name is Keeley Hazell and this photo was done for the Rugby World Cup Final in 2007. Of course it didn't do England much good there so maybe I shouldn't be using it as it might jinx their football team now. :wink:

Definitely a handy bit of stuff I think.

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

cables wrote:

I know what you mean Cables. The feckin media can't help but ruin any event with overkill. Sky being the worst of course with their reports on the England Squad's arrival at their dinner table etc. Feckin drive you to drink it would. I don't watch TV anymore except the few programmes I really want to see such as rugby, racing and GAA. RTE News is relatively safe too although they can't help thinking we are England II at times. Still it's hard to blame them considering the amount of English Club jerseys in the country. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:having said that, roy of the rovers stevie g is a hero and the ultimate footballer - can see him captaining england to the win, and then deciding to stay at liverpool.
I assume this is a joke. Gerrard has been poor all season and has usually been poor at international level.

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote: winner to come from brazil spain holland or the argies. england an outside bet but not even worth touching them at the bookies because of all the english goons thrrowing the patriotic £10 at them.
Agree about the price on England. It is always the same with the bookies underpricing them knowing there are thousands of feckin idiots who will back them regardless of price. I was thinking about a little wager on Argentina but I'm not sure I trust Maradona to get it tactically right.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote: Soccer free party in our shed this weekend, plenty of rugby matches to watch throughout the day accompanied by beer and bbq steak.
Nice one. Rugby always Number 1, with the exception of Group 1 racing and a top class hurling match which I'd place on a par, and I'll only turn my attention to the football once the real business of the day is done.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
Rooster wrote:plenty of rugby matches to watch throughout the day accompanied by beer and bbq steak.
manhood restored.
i'd recommend a Cohina Esplendida, a wifebeater vest and a spot of tree-felling between games.
i'd avoid lime in your beer - in fact stay well clear of the overpriced undertasting mexican stuff that guys who wear white belts drink when they've had enough blue wkd.
No one drinks beer with lime down here and only girls under 20 and poofs drink wkd of any variety or colour, we dont do much Spanish whatever that is either, tree felling is ok though :thumleft:
Rory Best
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Shan wrote:Well the football World Cup is only a couple of days away now. Anybody got much interest? For those that do who do you think will win and who do hope will win?
As its known on another rugby forum - Wendyball. A little interest but won't be glued to it.

Who will win? The odds:

Spain 9/2 go on the lads
Brazil 13/2 look like they have a decent route to the final
Argentina 8/1 top class - the winners
England 10/1 no chance whatsoever - 10/1 is just the bookies guarding against a freak set of results
Holland 14/1 always decent if they can stop fighting with eachother
Germany 16/1 every pundit will have "you never write off the Germans" amongst their armoury of aging cliches.
Italy 20/1 good odds for current champions
France 25/1 Am I alone in hoping they are humiliated?
Portugal 50/1 Surely a better bet than France?
Ivory Coast 66/1 Plenty of talent not enough depth
Serbia 80/1 Veni Vidi Vechi - well not quite but they have Vidic and not a lot else
Mexico 80/1 May as well dance on their hats :mexicanred: but interesting to see UTD's new striker
USA 80/1 A nation expects - but yet again very few will know how they got on
Chile 100/1 Freezing cold outsiders
Cameroon 100/1 Roggah Millah playing again ?
Paraguay 100/1 One of two landlocked countries in S America............err thats about all really.
Uruguay 125/1 Apparently these have broken with their traditonal role as cloggers and are very attractive
Ghana 150/1 Will celebrate 50 years as a republic during the tournament - try and enjoy that guys.
Nigeria 150/1 Will be too busy with emailing news of lottery wins or offers to export funds thru; YOUR bank acct
South Africa 150/1 Hope they aren't humiliated as hosts.
Denmark 150/1 We'll never forget you John Jensen
Australia 200/1 Stick to the leather on willow mates.
Greece 250/1 Remember 2004 - no chance.
Switzerland 250/1 Stick to being financial whores collecting all that crimainal money! Oh and cuckoo clocks &Toblerone
South Korea 300/1 Not this time lads
Slovakia 400/1 Allied (forcefully) to Nazi Germany at the outset of WW2 later turned when writing hit the wall
Japan 400/1 Too small - sorry
Slovenia 500/1 Anyone know an interesting(or even a boring) fact about them? Franc is most popular boys name!
Algeria 1000/1 1982 victims of disgraceful fixed match W.Germany 1-0 Austria where both of these went through
Honduras 2000/1 One of the parties to the Football War with El Salvador during 1970 qualifiers
North Korea 2000/1 Clear winners - as reported by Kim Jong Il who has already personally scored the winning goal
New Zealand 2000/1 Given the beating you are about to inflict on Saturday I hope you get stuffed :lol:

Given my miniscule hovel in Spain I will be hoping my (second) homeland will do the business just to prove that the European win wasn't a flash in the pan and that they can actually form a national team from wildy different cultures/regional differences/ancient emnities.

Of course the highlight of the tournament will be the inevitable wailing and nashing of teeth when England get dumped out. As one who has endured 44 years of hurt listening to them about 1966 it is my due reward to revel in their discomfort when they fall to some undeserving rabble to whom they taught the game :D

England were left between a rock and 2 hard cases when Rio made his exit (it turns out he is the first player ever to collide with Emile Hesley and be the one to go down). Which of two lowlife scumbags to appoint as captain, Gerard or Terry? Could only be Gerard as he had recently dropped the bomb on Terry and would have looked a complete Roman Poite by reappointing him. So the man who should have been jailed as a bar room bully will instead carry HM Queen's hopes on his shoulders. Beside him will be a variety of self-important lowlife of varying degrees - e.g Ashley Cole. How early they leave the tournament depends on whether Rooney 1) stays fit 2) finds form. Very ordinary team.

All a bit wordy? Well I did say I'm not overly interested. :shock:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Ahh....the beautiful game!

I'll be rooting for England until they're knocked out then for romantic reasons it's Brazil and Holland, though i've got to say that Spain look the part.
Anyway...here's hoping for some great football, no matter who wins.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.