Is there a God?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Is there a God?

Post by againstthehead »

I really hope I don't offend anyone by posting this - but it is a genuine question! Been doing some reading recently - trying to broaden my horizons and I would appreciate it if you folk could post some links or books either proving or indeed disproving christianity or indeed religion in general!
I'm a bit of a sceptic - but to be honest, I don't really know much of the 'facts' and would like to learn more! in particular, i'd like to know about how the bible was compiled!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Is there a God?

Post by mikerob »

You could check out some of Richard Dawkins books, like "The God Delusion" for "the case for the prosecution".
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Can of worms with this one ath, i guess it has to be the bible, but it's not for me.....so i'll take my leave.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Case for Christ by Lee Strobel is a good book. God's Undertaker, has science buried God? by John Lennox is an excellent read. Mere Christianity by CS Lewis is also very thought provoking. The Reason for God by Tim Keller is another very good book. There's a lot of good stuff out there actually...the Evangelical Bookshop in Belfast directly over the road from RBAI would have loads of apologetics/philosophical books on this subject
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

screwtape letter by cs lewis is an excellent start IMO. basically a series of letters from an apprentice devil to his more senior uncle. all about how he is setting out to trick humans into turning away from God, where he's going wrong etc - at the very least it's an entertaining read, also highly thought provoking.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

'The New Creationism' by Paul Garner is a good book. So is 'God's Undertaker' as DHK says. 'Does God believe in Athiests' by John Blanchard is long and quite hard to read, but wins the best title competition.

I find Dawkins hard work and hard to read, mainly because he is so outrageously arrogant. There are others who share his views, but are less belligerent and therefore more readable. Even if IMHO they are wrong.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

To be honest I think it is all very well reading what other's opinions are in their books but the overall question as to whether a supreme being exists or not is based on belief rather than facts.There is simply no factual argument in either direction.The problem with most if not all commentators is they are arguing from a defined position and will find "evidence" to support their already arrived at conclusions.

The only thing I can really do is look at it as coldly as possible from a probability perspective.

The question I would ask is does it make any difference if there is a supreme being or not? Would somebody fundamentally change the way they live their life if they discovered their belief/non belief could be proven to be wrong or even right for that matter? *

* possibly excluding not for profit religious preachers/teachers.

* maybe some people's religious beliefs are sufficiently strong to make it an integral part of their life.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Snipe Watson wrote:'Does God believe in Athiests' by John Blanchard

John Blanchard is my new hero. That title is mega :D
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

DHK wrote:God's Undertaker, has science buried God? by John Lennox is an excellent read.
A good Armagh man he is and very interesting to talk to :salut:
If you ever see of him having a debate it is well worth attending.
http://johnlennox.org/
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Rooster wrote:
DHK wrote:God's Undertaker, has science buried God? by John Lennox is an excellent read.
I'm lucky enough to have heard him give a lecture at Uni and then spoke to him afterwards, he was a really nice man. One of the first things he said right at the beginning of the talk was something like, "You may be able to tell from my accent i'm not from round these parts, I'm lucky enough to be from Northern Ireland!" or words to that affect :salut: :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

DHK wrote:
Rooster wrote:
I'm lucky enough to have heard him give a lecture at Uni and then spoke to him afterwards, he was a really nice man. One of the first things he said right at the beginning of the talk was something like, "You may be able to tell from my accent i'm not from round these parts, I'm lucky enough to be from Northern Ireland!" or words to that affect :salut: :red:
His family owned a department store in the centre of Armagh but John has been away for years now but still makes the occasional trip back.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

againstthehead wrote:Is there a God?
Does this give you any clues http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8360228.stm

:wink:
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

Shan wrote: The question I would ask is does it make any difference if there is a supreme being or not? Would somebody fundamentally change the way they live their life if they discovered their belief/non belief could be proven to be wrong or even right for that matter?
I think that whilst there is the belief of a "Supreme Being", certain "supreme" human beings feet are kept firmly on the ground!
IMO, everyone needs someone to be answerable to, even Obama, Putin, Hu Jintao et al

This would be a lovely conversational topic for a quiet night in the pub with a few friends and more than a few beers :drunken:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

This would be a lovely conversational topic for a quiet night in the pub with a few friends
Did it frequently over a period of years! Don't recall it coming up in the last 30 years however.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

Rooster wrote:His family owned a department store in the centre of Armagh but John has been away for years now but still makes the occasional trip back.
Had the best coffee shop I can remember, with the big swing doors like something from a John Wayne Western, cream donuts and a coke, magic, and who can forget the Jolly Roger toy shop?

Reminds me of the agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac who sat up all night wondering if there was a Dog..........
"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...