Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Autumn International squad

Post by solidarity »

BR wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:04 pm
Neill_M wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:20 pm
solidarity wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:48 pm Just watched Scotland v Australia. Niggly boys those Aussies but a very watchable game. I'm always impressed with Romain Poite as a referee. He knows that he can't see everything and has a lot of common sense.
Was his last international game today.
Probably for the best, given the blatant flying wedge from the lineout for Scotland's (otherwise very well worked) try. He looked long and hard to check when the ball was transferred, but seemed to forget about the new law completely.
Also he was hallucinating when he saw a swinging arm ahead of Hooper's disallowed try.
I agreed with the first decision. Technically, strictly accorrding the law, I think he was right, a theoretical maul was formed but, morally, I would have seen it as you do, Dave. With the swingiing arm, there was ceertainly a shade of contact with the face. Deliberate? The players eyes were looking in exactly the right place to give the impression that he was looking to do damage.

Anyway, bye bye Romain. I hope his autobiography comes out in English.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

solidarity wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:11 pm
BR wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:04 pm
solidarity wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:48 pm Just watched Scotland v Australia. Niggly boys those Aussies but a very watchable game. I'm always impressed with Romain Poite as a referee. He knows that he can't see everything and has a lot of common sense.
Probably for the best, given the blatant flying wedge from the lineout for Scotland's (otherwise very well worked) try. He looked long and hard to check when the ball was transferred, but seemed to forget about the new law completely.
Also he was hallucinating when he saw a swinging arm ahead of Hooper's disallowed try.
I agreed with the first decision. Technically, strictly accorrding the law, I think he was right, a theoretical maul was formed but, morally, I would have seen it as you do, Dave. With the swingiing arm, there was ceertainly a shade of contact with the face. Deliberate? The players eyes were looking in exactly the right place to give the impression that he was looking to do damage.

Anyway, bye bye Romain. I hope his autobiography comes out in English.
For the Watson try, it looks like three players latched. Which according to the new law is a penalty offence.
The swinging arm was harsh.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Maybe I'll watch it again, but i didnt see any aussies near the pod that could have mde it even a theoretical maul. For me its flying wedge under new lawm and the fact that oit happens from a lineout rather than a goalline ruck is irrelevant.

Contact with face, yes. But that is a long way off swinging arm. To me he was putting his hand to the ground and brushed the face of the player on the way. Ive used more force to waken my kids in the morning FFS. Subsequently he hits with force (and apparently legaly), but it seems poite was only interested in the initial contact. And that is my prob with him as a ref. He makes his decision (fair eniugh) and then goes upstairs fir validation of that decision and ignores any evidence outside the aspect at which he is looking.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:14 pm Maybe I'll watch it again, but i didnt see any aussies near the pod that could have mde it even a theoretical maul. For me its flying wedge under new lawm and the fact that oit happens from a lineout rather than a goalline ruck is irrelevant.

Contact with face, yes. But that is a long way off swinging arm. To me he was putting his hand to the ground and brushed the face of the player on the way. Ive used more force to waken my kids in the morning FFS. Subsequently he hits with force (and apparently legaly), but it seems poite was only interested in the initial contact. And that is my prob with him as a ref. He makes his decision (fair eniugh) and then goes upstairs fir validation of that decision and ignores any evidence outside the aspect at which he is looking.
Save yourself the time, there was no maul. It should have been an Aussie penalty.

One of the two different camera angles shown did seem to suggest that his arm was swinging somewhat unnaturally. I think he could have been given the benefit of the doubt, but it seems that the head contact law is being very strictly and literally enforced. On balance I think this is a good thing.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Snipe Watson wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:31 pm
BR wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:14 pm Maybe I'll watch it again, but i didnt see any aussies near the pod that could have mde it even a theoretical maul. For me its flying wedge under new lawm and the fact that oit happens from a lineout rather than a goalline ruck is irrelevant.

Save yourself the time, there was no maul. It should have been an Aussie penalty.

One of the two different camera angles shown did seem to suggest that his arm was swinging somewhat unnaturally. I think he could have been given the benefit of the doubt, but it seems that the head contact law is being very strictly and literally enforced. On balance I think this is a good thing.
OK looks like my memory is playing me false on the maul. :duh: All the same, a smart try, if you can get away with it.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:23 pm

OK looks like my memory is playing me false on the maul. :duh:
All the same, a smart try, if you can get away with it.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Solids
You carry the almost unique distinction in this forum of rethinking your standpoint on presentation of an alternative interpretation.
More power to your elbow!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
He also couldn't see the slap to the face on Hooper.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Poite couldn't even do that right. "Clearly a swinging arm" - would be high danger. That's red card. No mitigation.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Bobbievee wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:27 pm Solids
You carry the almost unique distinction in this forum of rethinking your standpoint on presentation of an alternative interpretation.
Must stop that or I'll be expelled/blackballed/cancelled/...
:D
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

solidarity wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:56 pm
Bobbievee wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:27 pm Solids
Must stop that or I'll be expelled/blackballed/cancelled/...
:D
A wise man changes his position when his information changes! Solids knows this... be like Solids :thumleft:
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Hendy and Herring doubtful for Ireland after PCR tests.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

No changes to the 23.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Wouldn't be surprised if ireland do a haka now.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Kiwi try