Belfast restaurants

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Belfast restaurants

Post by justinr73 »

justinr73 wrote:Have got The Ginger Bistro lined up on Saturday.

Lovely sounding lass on the phone to take the booking.
And on Sunday I'm dining with my future in-laws (first time I've had to say that .....) at their Belfast favourite.....

Villa Italia!

Can't wait to try it!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Belf ast restaurants

Post by justinr73 »

Happy enough with the fritto misto and the lamb at Villa Italia. Great value. Old school venue, ideal for a Sunday and the pizzas looked tasty.

The Ginger Bistro was excellent. Friendly staff and, unusually, customers (although it was just before the game). Scallops and duck for my intended and fritters and beef for me. Nice bit of cheese too but it was a shame it seemed to come straight from the fridge.

Had the worst pint I've ever had in the Woodworkers after the match. Some lemon lambic crap. It was like trying to drink battery acid.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:

And on Sunday I'm dining with my future in-laws (first time I've had to say that .....) at their Belfast favourite.....

Villa Italia!

Can't wait to try it!
Jaysus Justin you've had a hell of a weekend of firsts. >EW Pleasure to meet you. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I had a bite to eat and a clatter of stout on Saturday afternoon in Sweet Afton, great seat looking at a screen about 10 feet bang in front of us, across from the end of the bar, to watch Castres smash Saints.

Food was cheapish, cheerful & tasty, the stout was nectar compared to the muck we drank at Spanners.

Would make an excellent venue for a day watching the "Not the Heiny" if Ulster were away & I know they were showing the Ulster game in the bar on Saturday. They did put on Wendyball at 5.15 but we were only missing Sorrybastards v Scaaaalets and were about to head to Spanners anyway.

Good spot.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
justinr73 wrote:

Villa Italia!

Can't wait to try it!
Jaysus Justin you've had a hell of a weekend of firsts. >EW Pleasure to meet you. :thumleft:
You too sir - the highlight of my weekend of course!

I'll add Sweet Afton to the list. Belfast is not short of fine places to eat and drink. What with my culchie future in-laws and my own countrymen, I've got my work cut out in terms of explaining why I come over as much as possible! Needless to say, the ones who do come love it.

Apart from the culchies.

I'm yet to experience the delights of Bangor but will nip up on the train at some point for sure,.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So, the Barking Dog. Would have been good to have been able to finish our gin and tonics before the starters and mains were wheeled out.

Cafe Conor. Top notch Ulster fry.

Buskers. Nice staff and good grub

The Morning Star. Tasty Sunday lunch and an extra mark for the Morrissey look a like the night before.

Off to the Albany before the game tomorrow.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Was in the Basement Bar & Grill - Donegall Square east, acros the road from the Housing Executive - during the week. Steak sizzler was fecking exquisite.
It's the hope that kills you.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote: acros the road from the Housing Executive - .
>Off_Topic_Man I know but worth it.

I give you the only known recording to use the Housing Executive in a lyric. (1:34)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnRz_pspYc

Thanks to the late Gerry Anderson for originally bringing that to my attention. :salut:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

big mervyn wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote: acros the road from the Housing Executive - .
>Off_Topic_Man I know but worth it.

I give you the only known recording to use the Housing Executive in a lyric. (1:34)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnRz_pspYc

Thanks to the late Gerry Anderson for originally bringing that to my attention. :salut:
I listened fully through, missed it and only then saw your mention of the point it's at.
To save others the torture, use this link instead and listen for no more than 5 seconds
https://youtu.be/wKnRz_pspYc?t=1m32s

"Oh Liam you tried the Boxin' the Housing Executive too.."

I reckon that Seamus Marron chap is up there, collabarating as we speak, with the one and only William McGonagall
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

WeeWorld wrote:I reckon that Seamus Marron chap is up there, collabarating as we speak, with the one and only William McGonagall
Yep. He definitely bears comparison.

There's an equally excrutiating wan about AP McCoy, but you'll be glad to hear, I can't find a recording :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

big mervyn wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:I reckon that Seamus Marron chap is up there, collabarating as we speak, with the one and only William McGonagall
Yep. He definitely bears comparison.

There's an equally excrutiating wan about AP McCoy, but you'll be glad to hear, I can't find a recording :lol:
Thank god :lol:
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

WeeWorld wrote:To save others the torture, use this link instead and listen for no more than 5 seconds
https://youtu.be/wKnRz_pspYc?t=1m32s

"Oh Liam you tried the Boxin' the Housing Executive too.."

Aye, but then you'd be depriving yerself of:

and if you do not know him
well listen a while to this.
For he brought great fame to his town and hame
when he starred in Schindler's list

:lol: :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

What did Pat Lam eat?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Time for the next thrilling instalment....

The fry at Slim's Healthy Kitchen was better than I expected, largely because of the Cumberland sausage whirl. Decent poached eggs but the homemade baked beans were nothing to write home about. The whole thing could have done with a bit more bread and fat. Obviously.

I won't be rushing back to La Bastille, although the onion soup was good. I'm not sure the staff got on, which came to something of a head when one of them turned up with the main and blamed the other fella for not clearing the starters away. Also, there was a table of noisy Surrey types in the corner - precisely the kind of people I come to Belfast to get away from.

However, Holohans At The Barge was excellent. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff and 3 fine courses. We had starters of mackerel/crab and pigeon breast, mains of smoked haddock boxty and hake/mussels and desserts of STP and custard tart with rum and raisin ice cream. Very tasty indeed and well priced at £90, inclusive of a Jawbox and tonic, a bottle of cider and the house white.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Genuine question: are either OX or James Street South as good as they're supposed to be, or has all this over-hyped in-flight magazine nonsense gone to my head?