All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 RWC

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Feck all use to me, living in Ireland will be a distant memory. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Still I suppose the favourable treatment the hosts get might help get out of the pool.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I think we'll manage without you. Tis my Spanish friends I feel sorry for.

>TLGH
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

The Italians are out of the race. Down to Ireland, France and South Africa.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

They are NAT getting any money from us til Ruan is aloud to stay!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:They are NAT getting any money from us til Ruan is aloud to stay!
Ruan is gone but the flegs and anthums debate should be good
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:They are NAT getting any money from us til Ruan is aloud to stay!
Ruan is gone but the flegs and anthums debate should be good
Ulster is British
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Flegs & Anfums raised it's head around the subject of the Weemin's RWC. Let's face it, that Givan bloke and his friends have thrown a brave wheen of semolians at Ulster Rugby in he last clatter of years.

Previous experience suggests that in some way the DUPers will want some return on their pounds sterling. If the MInister for Communities has thrown his toys out over Ruan Pienaar's disgusting treatment from the horrible FIRFU HQ, I see some friction ahead.

How funny I would find it if the horrendous DUP put a big huge massive Spanner in the works of the horrendous FIRFU in their RWC bid ............. or before that, the DUPers are impatient as a rule.

Currently I have nothing but contempt and ill-will towards that shower ofbastards in D4.

I understand the "turkeys voting for Christmas" analogy but there comes a time in life when you have to just stop thinking of the long term and get up on your hind legs and say, "no, with this I will not put up, may the leg hairs of a thousand tarantulas pierce your eyeballs and burn like feck, yaDublinbastards".

I have reached that stage, no money of mine will line the pockets of the FIRFU until change comes, albeit too late to save Ruan's happiness. I hope several past presidents choke, yea until death, on their next jolly somewhere at the expense of Irish Rugby.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Seems any Italian bid was tied into their 2024 Olympics bid which has been withdrawn so both fall. Given the pattern of switching between NH and SH, South Africa out of the running with it between France and Ireland?

Interesting to note that in any NH RWC held, games have spread beyond the designated host country with votes no doubt being secured on such a basis. Ireland going to Chicago in November to play NZ could have benefits for their bid also.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Neill_M wrote:Seems any Italian bid was tied into their 2024 Olympics bid which has been withdrawn so both fall. Given the pattern of switching between NH and SH, South Africa out of the running with it between France and Ireland?

Interesting to note that in any NH RWC held, games have spread beyond the designated host country with votes no doubt being secured on such a basis. Ireland going to Chicago in November to play NZ could have benefits for their bid also.
It is interesting that the mayor Miss Raggi says that they are still paying off the debt since the 1960 Olympics, now since it is Italy that is probably correct.
Olympic venues built by other cities around the world often became “empty skeletons”, abandoned and forgotten, she said.
She cited a study this year by Oxford University which found that the cost of hosting the Games was often far more than initially forecast.
The report, published in July, concluded that “for a city and nation to decide to stage the Olympic Games is to take on one of the most costly and financially most risky types of mega-project that exists, something that many cities and nations have learned to their peril.”
When you think about it it is pretty well correct, look at the London venues for example, costs were totally wrong, and venues are not all in use.
The rugby is a bit different as existing venues are generally used although some upgrading is normally needed but they do continue in use after the event.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

All London Olympic venues are in weekly if not daily use ...
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Russ wrote:All London Olympic venues are in weekly if not daily use ...
Yup, there weren't that many purpose-built venues anyway and some that weren't going to be used after the games (like the venue used for basketball) were built so they could be easily dismantled. The athletes village has been sold off as flats with a big price tag attached...
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:
Yup, there weren't that many purpose-built venues anyway and some that weren't going to be used after the games (like the venue used for basketball) were built so they could be easily dismantled. The athletes village has been sold off as flats with a big price tag attached...
So they are not all in use then if some were dismantled what happened the bike track ?
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote:
mikerob wrote:
So they are not all in use then if some were dismantled what happened the bike track ?
The velodrome is still there but it is heavily used for professional and amateur competitions. Even if you wanted to go as an individual for a whizz around the track, these sessions are booked up weeks in advance. They hire out the central bit surrounded by the track for exhibitions as well, as this is only really used for the professional races.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

They still fecked up on costs though
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote:They still fecked up on costs though
Has there ever been a multi-billion pound construction project that has come in under budget? The final figures were more than the initial guesstimates but initial budgets shouldn't be trusted for huge projects anyway as there needs to be a level of detail to plan against. There really wasn't a big cost overrun once they had proper plans.

The objective wasn't purely to build sports venues but to regenerate the area and attract housing, retail and employment.That seems to be heading in the right direction so far anyway, and the benefits of this take 5 or 10 or more years to happen.