All Blacks vs Ireland

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: All Blacks vs Ireland

Post by big mervyn »

ColinM wrote:Heaslip and Darcy out of final test. Paddy W being flown out for it.

He should have refused to get on the plane what a waste of time.
Seems ridiculous. Last game. It's a dead rubber and Cave's already there as cover. :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

big mervyn wrote:
ColinM wrote:Heaslip and Darcy out of final test. Paddy W being flown out for it.

Seems ridiculous. Last game. It's a dead rubber and Cave's already there as cover. :scratch:
I wouldn't be surprised if PW is going to be bench cover for the 10/12 slot with ROG starting at at 10 and Sexton at 12, as it finished yesterday.
I felt it worked really well yesterday however, if that is the selection DK goes with for next week, who knows what will happen...............???
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Samstew wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if PW is going to be bench cover for the 10/12 slot with ROG starting at at 10 and Sexton at 12, as it finished yesterday.
I felt it worked really well yesterday however, if that is the selection DK goes with for next week, who knows what will happen...............???
We'll get beat
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

Samstew wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if PW is going to be bench cover for the 10/12 slot with ROG starting at at 10 and Sexton at 12, as it finished yesterday.
We'll get beat[/quote]

Even the mosy optimistic of us would go along with that :(
What I meant was, would that system work as well as it did yesterday or will the AB's find a way of making it look like the worst selection DK has made??
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Perhaps he is going to try a backline with Paddy, Darren and Andy T as a unit :?
Nah really silly idea :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

I really struggle to see the logic in calling PW up at such a late stage. I understood he was on his hols in the Algarve so that's a flight back home today, pack and back to UK tomorrow for a very long flight to NZ. While he may well have been on the call up list and maintaining some form of training regime he will arrive sometime on Tuesday and that barely leaves enough time to adjust the body clock far less get in the groove with the rest of the team. It seems like an entirely futile and costly exercise for the 3rd match in an already lost series.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

hard to argue with any of those points Horslips, seems like a spectacularly pointless manoeuvre.

watched the first half and thought we'd ran our race by about the 45th minute. I've seen bits and pieces of the second half via highlights and the NZ lads got absolute carte blanche at times. the intensity was superb but it will take so much out of the team. having said that if we play with that level of commitment and a little more rugby then the 6N should be a sight to behold. The back row in particular was immense but I feel that is at least in part explained by a big Heaslip performance, something that's frequently been lacking in green recently.

hopefully DK can get the slo-mo video of some appalling decisions drummed into the squad over the next few days and angry up the blood for the last test. it'd be a real shame to have that performance bookended by two batterings.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Trouble making Ireland supporters or just the usual moaning Kiwis overreacting?

I'll go for the second option as the generalisation and hypocrisy is just a bit too much.....plus they won't like the fact we nearly beat them....just imagine what they'd be saying if we had won.....
Christchurch police are "disappointed" with the drunk and disorderly behaviour of some fans during last night's All Black test match.

Senior Sergeant Scott Banfield, head of Christchurch's team policing unit, said five people were arrested and 16 people were evicted from the new AMI Stadium for alcohol-related disorder.

Police also attended a number of alcohol-related incidents in the stands during the match, including assaults and offensive language.

"It was silly little things, like some people sitting in the wrong seat, that sparked a fight. Maybe if people weren't intoxicated they would have dealt with it a bit more maturely.

About 28 people were turned away from the stadium before the game even began because they were "already heavily intoxicated", Banfield said.

"You're paying good money to see the game ... and they never even got into the game."

Most of the troublemakers were Irish supporters who "demonstrated they can't handle alcohol", he said.

"We've got our own drinking culture in New Zealand which we're trying to sort out and if that's a representation of what they do in their own country they've got big problems over there.

"I think they just have to understand .. if they're in Rome do as the Romans do. We don't drink to a point where we fall over so much in our country."

One of the arrested people included a naked woman who ran onto the field during half-time.

Some of the arrested people would receive pre-charge warnings, but the streaker was likely to be sent to the Christchurch District Court for disorderly behaviour, Banfield said.

Several people told stadium staff they had had enough of the offensive language and bad behaviour around them and left before the game had finished.

"There was pretty poor behaviour out there. It's pretty sad when people say 'look we're out of here .. we've got kids and things and the language around here is terrible'."

"It was disappointing. Overall [it was] a fantastic game, a real test, but to have people's alcohol levels so high, it took a real shine off the game."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/7 ... rugby-fans
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

One of the arrested people included a naked woman who ran onto the field during half-time.
Cool sort of night for that sort of carry on :shock: wonder was she Irish or one of their own ? also how many fans arrested were Irish and how many NZ ?
Storm in a teacup and selective reporting I would think.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Shan wrote:Trouble making Ireland supporters or just the usual moaning Kiwis overreacting?

I'll go for the second option as the generalisation and hypocrisy is just a bit too much.....plus they won't like the fact we nearly beat them....just imagine what they'd be saying if we had won.....
My guess would be a bit of both. Unfortunately some people just can't hold their drink but as the game went on, my guess was the Ireland supporters were getting increasingly boisterous because Ireland were still in it while the kiwis got increasingly annoyed that Ireland weren't rolling over and getting stuffed.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The problem is playing night games gives some too much time to drink before the match and they arrive the worse of the wear as they say and then continue until they become obnoxious.

It happens

Why the surprise !!
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Having watched the match and the highlights there is one point in the second half when Ireland I think lose possession close to Mcfaddens Touch line and Mcfadden looks towards Owens as if to say did you see that .

It is one of the reasons why I say Mcfadden is not an International play the ball play --to the whisle because while he 's looking at Owens the ABs are progressing down the pitch. Very few players can influence referees if they have missed something drawing a refs attention to an on going offence a la Springer can have results ....but if he has missed the offence he's not going to blow the whisle just because you look at him.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Meg The Lab
Novice

Post by Meg The Lab »

Shan wrote:Trouble making Ireland supporters or just the usual moaning Kiwis overreacting?

Christchurch police are "disappointed" with the drunk and disorderly behaviour of some fans during last night's All Black test match.

Senior Sergeant Scott Banfield, head of Christchurch's team policing unit, said five people were arrested and 16 people were evicted from the new AMI Stadium for alcohol-related disorder.

Police also attended a number of alcohol-related incidents in the stands during the match, including assaults and offensive language.

"It was silly little things, like some people sitting in the wrong seat, that sparked a fight. Maybe if people weren't intoxicated they would have dealt with it a bit more maturely.

About 28 people were turned away from the stadium before the game even began because they were "already heavily intoxicated", Banfield said.

"You're paying good money to see the game ... and they never even got into the game."

Most of the troublemakers were Irish supporters who "demonstrated they can't handle alcohol", he said.

"We've got our own drinking culture in New Zealand which we're trying to sort out and if that's a representation of what they do in their own country they've got big problems over there.

"I think they just have to understand .. if they're in Rome do as the Romans do. We don't drink to a point where we fall over so much in our country."

Some of the arrested people would receive pre-charge warnings, but the streaker was likely to be sent to the Christchurch District Court for disorderly behaviour, Banfield said.

Several people told stadium staff they had had enough of the offensive language and bad behaviour around them and left before the game had finished.

"There was pretty poor behaviour out there. It's pretty sad when people say 'look we're out of here .. we've got kids and things and the language around here is terrible'."

"It was disappointing. Overall [it was] a fantastic game, a real test, but to have people's alcohol levels so high, it took a real shine off the game."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/7 ... rugby-fans
First apologies for the thread I started asking why PW was sent to New Zealand. I now realise it could have been posted here, but there you go.

Concerning the drunken behaviour referred to here. IMO it probably was Leinster supporters. Managed to witness some of their antics at Twickenham similar to what was seen at the game on Saturday. We even had one guy tell us "you're just like Rangers supporters, a shower of orange barstewards"
On a personal note, he was wrong on three points. I don't support Rangers, I'm not in the Orange Order and I have two parents, so how he was able to make those judgements is beyond me.
I've just swallowed a whole bag of scrabble squares. My next visit to the toilet could spell trouble.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ColinM wrote:Didnt think much of the interview McCaw gave after either, zero credit given to Ireland
Why would he give credit to Ireland?

A good sportsman would have credited Ireland for the improvement on the week, dominating the scrums in the second half, not letting them play the game they wanted to etc. Just proper order IMO, when you win you credit the opposition for the good things they did, no matter how big or small the win. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

ColinM wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
ColinM wrote:Didnt think much of the interview McCaw gave after either, zero credit given to Ireland
Why would he give credit to Ireland?

A good sportsman would have credited Ireland for the improvement on the week, dominating the scrums in the second half, not letting them play the game they wanted to etc. Just proper order IMO, when you win you credit the opposition for the good things they did, no matter how big or small the win. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Which is exactly what Pocock did in giving credit to the Welsh at least twice in his interview after after the Aussie game.