Eurotable

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

OneMore
Warrior Chief

Re: Eurotable

Post by OneMore »

Hadn't looked at this in a while, surprised to see Munster as low as they are. 15th like.

http://www.eurorugby.com/index.php
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

OneMore wrote:Hadn't looked at this in a while, surprised to see Munster as low as they are. 15th like.

http://www.eurorugby.com/index.php
They actually went up one place this week sespite losing in France. It's a rolling 30 game analysis, so a lot also depend on the result of the match being dropped.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:5th this week. Behind Leinster and the French Big 3. Looking down on the cream of English rugby.
There is a cream?

Big french 3 being Clermont, Toulouse and Toulon?
Indeed but in reverse. Toulon are 2nd and Toulouse 3rd. Clermont are just a smidgeon above Ulster. Could overtake them next week if all goes well on Friday.
Saw that, all well and good, we already have a minor dibs on claiming 2nd best but its thon crowd of Mexicans we have to aspire to displace.

Still and all mugs like Kofi who sneered at the thought of world domination must be preparing to shat their nappies.

I'm of course referring to NH as the world since their is no inter-hemisphere competition at club level. An American "world sense" if you like.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

we will be dropping a home win over connacht this week.

Clermont will drop a home win over leicester.

I suspect we need to Exeter to do us a favour if we're to climb to 4th this weekend, assuming we win in Glasgoshire
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

*if* Ulster qualify for the HEC qfs and Munster don't (and don't win the ACC...) it is likely that Ulster will be a first seed in the ERC rankings and Munster will drop down to second seeds.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

A win in Glasgow will still increase our stock because a. Glasgow are ranked higher than the Westies b. it's an away fixture and c. it's in the HC.

Clermont are dropping a home HC win so have more to lose.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

With the greatest respect Grumps, its not that simple, many other factors at play:

1) Points scored and points conceded (the points system encourages attacking rugby but it also rewards sides who lose a match by a narrow margin.).
2) Whether the game was played at home or away (bonus awarded to the away team).

3) Strength of the opponent (more points are awarded when playing against a top-ranked opponent as opposed to a weaker one).
4) Strength of the domestic league (Account is taken of the differences in playing standards of the various domestic leagues by applying coefficients for each country. These are based on the performance of each country's clubs in the Heineken Cup (and to a much lesser extent, the European Challenge Cup) over the previous three seasons. The approach is similar to that used by UEFA to calculate their football rankings for each country.
5) Importance of the game (more points are awarded for European Cup games and at the latter stages of all cup competitions).
6) Recent form feature (a unique weighting of the results ensures that a team's more recent performances are given more credit than those of earlier games. As a result, the rankings will usually reflect current form rather than a team's standing over its last thirty games.

With Weegies at 11 and away and in HC it will hold more potential points than a league game home to Connacht.

That said I couldn't be arsed looking at Clermont's position this weekend.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:A win in Glasgow will still increase our stock because a. Glasgow are ranked higher than the Westies b. it's an away fixture and c. it's in the HC.

Clermont are dropping a home HC win so have more to lose.
Aware of that, but if clermont win,
a. they too will have an away win, and
b. it's in the HC.

Home win over Tiggers against away win over Exeter - it's probably fine margins.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:With the greatest respect Grumps, its not that simple, many other factors at play:

1) Points scored and points conceded (the points system encourages attacking rugby but it also rewards sides who lose a match by a narrow margin.).
2) Whether the game was played at home or away (bonus awarded to the away team).

3) Strength of the opponent (more points are awarded when playing against a top-ranked opponent as opposed to a weaker one).
4) Strength of the domestic league (Account is taken of the differences in playing standards of the various domestic leagues by applying coefficients for each country. These are based on the performance of each country's clubs in the Heineken Cup (and to a much lesser extent, the European Challenge Cup) over the previous three seasons. The approach is similar to that used by UEFA to calculate their football rankings for each country.
5) Importance of the game (more points are awarded for European Cup games and at the latter stages of all cup competitions).
6) Recent form feature (a unique weighting of the results ensures that a team's more recent performances are given more credit than those of earlier games. As a result, the rankings will usually reflect current form rather than a team's standing over its last thirty games.

With Weegies at 11 and away and in HC it will hold more potential points than a league game home to Connacht.

That said I couldn't be arsed looking at Clermont's position this weekend.
Am aware of that baggie - thanks for the greatest respect, btw (never thought I'd get that on this board) :wink:

It was a simple response to a simplified statement by Big Merv ( :salut: greatest respect, big man) - it wasn't meant to be a definitive answer or statement of fact - simply a suspicion of mine that it could be close.

at the end of the day, this particular table doesn't mean a jot anyway - but it's nce to look at when we're up there. :D
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:*if* Ulster qualify for the HEC qfs and Munster don't (and don't win the ACC...) it is likely that Ulster will be a first seed in the ERC rankings and Munster will drop down to second seeds.
Not sure but it could also happen I think if we eliminate Saints & they don't win Amlin. They are already losing more points from 4 yrs ago 5 pts to our 2pts, but they are currently 3 ahead so effectively we start level with them.

Cardiff are the most vulnerable 1st seeds as they are losing 7 pts, same as Munster, from 4 yrs ago but they are currently on 20 pts to Munster's 23pts.

Leinster on 40 pts cannot improve, they can win 11 & are losing 11, currently 13 pts above Toulouse with 27 pts.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

You may well be correct Grumps, the ERC table on the other hand means a lot and is one you climb slowly but 1st seed status would be nice.

No.1 on Euro table simply carries bragging rights, but I'm pretty sure that Fit C will find it a comfort if we ever make it to no.1 after his apparently fraught statement on WD.

As for respect, I have been know to give it where deserved, several warrant it here, many chubes don't. Its a philosophical thing with me, we may be created equal but any Brennan could see through that melarkey, I would be happy if we all had equality of opportunity then chubes would have themselves to blame. Some are chubes through lack of education, some are chubes through there own efforts. I suspect most of our forum chubes come from the latter category.

Of course I'm not averse to taking the pish and
NEVER-FAKED-A-SARCASM-225.jpg
NEVER-FAKED-A-SARCASM-225.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 800 times
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

My head hurts from all this math :cry:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

ruckover wrote:My head hurts from all this math :cry:
Math ! MATH!!! I'm not normally a grammar nazi but I can't have that Yankie nonsense.

Maths or even better, hard sums please.

You miss Cables chipping in with a bit of clarity in these threads.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well, we didn't climb above Clermont last week and sit 5th on 89.00 a mere 0.04 behind Clermont and interesting 0.52 behind Toulouse.

Above that sit Toulon on 94.79 & Mexico on 100.

In terms of Rabo teams, Ospreys are third highest ranked but are 17 index points behind us.

It ain't science but it is comforting.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Aye these things are only "meaningless" when you're languishing in the bottom half of the table :lol:

Clermont needed that BP win to stay a hair's breadth ahead of Ulster. We're dropping last year's home win v Clermont this week and Clermont are dropping an away loss to Tiggers so we would probably need something really spectacular in Newport to make further progress.
Big Neville Southall