Big World of Rugby

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Big World of Rugby

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Joe Biden just called the All Blacks the Black and Tans Image
Even worse, he admitted he was related to Rob Kearney.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:26 am
big mervyn wrote:Joe Biden just called the All Blacks the Black and Tans Image
Even worse, he admitted he was related to Rob Kearney.
To be fair, he could bore for Ireland .
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Following a wide-ranging investigation, it can now be reported that:

At a president's dinner in Dublin last month, a prominent figure in Irish rugby said "Who gives a f--- about women's rugby?" during a speech made by IRFU president, John Robinson, when he referenced the strides the union has made with the women's game
There have been "horror stories" around team selection, with players being missed off emails or not even told they've been dropped for a match
Players were refused protein supplements in the build-up to the team's historic tour to Japan last November
Players were not properly consulted about the IRFU's decision to change the colour of the women's team's shorts from white to navy blue because of period concerns
The IRFU refused to explore the option of a "hybrid contracts" – which was a specific request from players – with the union instead favouring a "full-time or nothing attitude"
John Cronin, the current director of rugby at Dublin-based Railway Union RFC, one of Ireland's most successful and progressive rugby clubs, says the union has a deep-rooted problem when it comes to women's rugby due to its "archaic" governance and structure.

'An old-boys culture pervades the IRFU'
"An old-boys culture tends to pervade the organisation that can be quite hostile to women's rugby," said Cronin. "Women's rugby has come along but they don't know how to care for it, because the governance hasn't evolved.

"On the few occasions when the IRFU has tried to include women, they seem to confuse the difference between diversity and inclusion. Their solution is often to co-opt women who have no role in women's rugby into positions but that's diversity – it's not inclusion.

"Inclusion is including those who represent women's rugby."

The IRFU said such claims are "objectively untrue" and that it is investing "millions" in the development of the women's game at both a professional and community level.

In a statement, it added: "We have seen consistent growth in participation of women and girls, testament to the work going on across the country to attract more females to the game. The IRFU has a dedicated Women's Committee and Women's Advisory Group, who are tasked with overseeing the growth of participation by women and girls in the game."

Part of an article posted in the Telegraph.
The sad reality is that the article is true. The IRFU is misogynistic and I would say that most of the posters on this forum are also.
When was the last time that Ladies rugby was mentioned on this forum?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I believe her
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Not mentioning weemin's rugby is hardly mysogeny.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Some of my best friends are women.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Plenty of spit
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

The absolute state of these comments. Demonstrating Jetstream's point precisely.

This forum is a man's club where women are derided, dismissed and ignored ("Andy Brace thought he'd get away from the wife but has to listen to Joy Neville in his ear, har har, insufferable women", and STILL harking on about the woman in the trial nearly 5 years later, barely any discussion about the women's game whatsoever).

Jetstream highlights this story and out come the Paddy Jackson jibes. What is the relevance of saying these things if not to be a complete pr!ck about women?

Grow up and come back to me if you want to talk about the women's game instead of taking the p!ss.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

To be fair, if Paddy was a woman, we'd still be supporting her.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's full of loyalists too. Shut down the forum. The moderation is non existent. Baggy offered his moderating services but was declined. Better to have this sexist free for all.

I will never ever stop harking back to that trial. Ever. Never moving on. If you think that makes me sexist then your logic is flawed. That is a generalisation. I will deride anything and everything. Regardless of race, class, creed, religion (especially religion as it's all a pile of balls), gender, sex etc... Everyone is on notice and no topic is out of bounds. I actually spend most of my time deriding men (ooh matron).

Fcuk the king and the pope, and everybody and everything.

You're all kunts. Including me.

Have a lovely day.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

shamalicious wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:22 am The absolute state of these comments. Demonstrating Jetstream's point precisely.

This forum is a man's club where women are derided, dismissed and ignored ("Andy Brace thought he'd get away from the wife but has to listen to Joy Neville in his ear, har har, insufferable women", and STILL harking on about the woman in the trial nearly 5 years later, barely any discussion about the women's game whatsoever).

Jetstream highlights this story and out come the Paddy Jackson jibes. What is the relevance of saying these things if not to be a complete pr!ck about women?

Grow up and come back to me if you want to talk about the women's game instead of taking the p!ss.
I don't think this forum is a man's club

Regrettably this reaction betrays a hypersensitivity which can destroy the main legitimate argument.
This is not a gender point.
I read the same post about Andy Brace but took the main point to be over interfering TMOs ( of any gender) ruling the roost over the match referee.....who is supposed to be in charge?I

Else the game will turn into a version of American football with a red flag stoppage every 10 seconds.

See how naive I am
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

And Andy Braces wife ould be male for all I care
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Well saying you ‘don’t give a f***’ about woman’s rugby is an unnecessarily crass way to put it, it is also true of the rugby-viewing population at large… this is the unfortunate truth that women’s rugby advocates keep bumping into. The real world isn’t anything like rugby twitter or the BBC - where in these days of social media as self-marketing, and ingratiation with the right in-group, for any high-profile rugby twitter account or journalist to suggest that they aren’t interested in woman’s rugby would be the gravest of faux pas… as a result inside the rugby twitter bubble it’s easy to believe that interest in woman’s rugby is much higher than it actually is.

I have tried to watch woman’s rugby from time to time, but the honest truth is that it’s pretty terrible. Sorry but that’s just what I see. When you’re used to watching the men’s pro game, it’s like an average quality schools game run at 3/4 speed. Good luck to the women themselves, because I always have respect for people who have the passion to play or follow low profile sports (in fact men’s rugby falls into this camp!! I often find myself looking forward to ‘big days’ in rugby which aren’t remotely in the radar of football-following mates, and vice versa!) but I find the constant call for ‘more investment’ frustrating.

The only goose laying a golden egg in Irish rugby is the senior men’s team - all 4 provinces, not to mention age grade, sevens etc are all varying degrees of loss-making and requiring central subsidies. So the rationale for subsidising all of these other teams is precisely to keep in place the goose laying the golden egg!

And that is not the case with woman’s rugby. The TV deals on offer are modest, and honestly will stay that way. Money being ‘invested’ in Irish women’s rugby is pure cost, with no feedback loop to the only game in town that pays the bills - and ‘investment’ in the woman’s game has to come at the expense of something else, it’s zero sum. So what should we cut? Smaller provincial squads? Fewer or lower quality NIQs? Cuts to U20s investment, one of the crowning achievements of the IRFU in recent years?

Good luck to women players and fans of the teams but there should be more acknowledgment of some simple facts - investment in women’s rugby will amount to a pure subsidy, and require cuts elsewhere; in any case pro contracts will always be much smaller than in men’s rugby; women’s rugby will never have the profile or interest of men’s rugby because it’s fundamentally a poorer sport and spectacle. And pointing this out doesn’t make anyone a ‘misogynist’
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think all rugby is terrible. Watching players develop neurological issues isn't my idea of fun. You're sick if you enjoy it.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bobbievee wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:19 am
shamalicious wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:22 am The absolute state of these comments. Demonstrating Jetstream's point precisely.

I don't think this forum is a man's club

Regrettably this reaction betrays a hypersensitivity which can destroy the main legitimate argument.
This is not a gender point.
I read the same post about Andy Brace but took the main point to be over interfering TMOs ( of any gender) ruling the roost over the match referee.....who is supposed to be in charge?I

Else the game will turn into a version of American football with a red flag stoppage every 10 seconds.

See how naive I am
Seems as though satire isn’t the strong point of Shamalicious. Thanks for explaining it to him/her/they Bobbi.

(this is the same Shamalicious that posted “wtf is this ‘player of the match’ crap” on 28 Dec 2018 - not so holier than thou after all….)