Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:18 am
HammerTime wrote:I never liked the 6/2 bench split. Ship an injury or two in the backs and your fooked. Plus it must be ridiculously frustrating for the likes of Madigan, Lyttle etc. Should be set to a max 5/3 forwards/backs. Doaks kicking was so incredibly pointless that it had to be coming from McFarland. Hume, Lowry, Doak and McIlroy haven’t turned up this season.
Can't argue. I've only turned up once.
When will we experience Dave Ja Vu?
I wasn't even able to watch it live in it's entirety.

I'll have to wait for the re-run. Classic dave.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:06 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:18 am
HammerTime wrote:I never liked the 6/2 bench split. Ship an injury or two in the backs and your fooked. Plus it must be ridiculously frustrating for the likes of Madigan, Lyttle etc. Should be set to a max 5/3 forwards/backs. Doaks kicking was so incredibly pointless that it had to be coming from McFarland. Hume, Lowry, Doak and McIlroy haven’t turned up this season.
Can't argue. I've only turned up once.
When will we experience Dave Ja Vu?

Will it be on TV?

When will it be announced?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Great contest, as I had predicted.
I think it will be good for both teams to have had a full on match before the European action starts next week.
Our forwards really took it to Ulster and the backs, especially Ringrose, clicked in the second half.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Who was ours by the way once hendo went off?

AOC I think - he certainly spoke to the ref a few times.
Hope is not a strategy.
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

So far this season Doak has been less than inspiring. He models himself on Ruan and sees himself as having the apparent time over the ball Ruan achieved without having Ruans pace to the ball, his vision on the way to the ball and pass when over it. He needs to get clattered a few mor re times to get a reality check and then work forward again from there.
The game yesterday turned on the Cooney incident whcih was by all accounts a straight Red having said that I thing the Healy red was as harsh as the Hume and Timoney Yellows.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Shameful that Ringrose got in tor 2 tries. The whole world knows that he never passes. Jonny Bell better start earning his corn. Our defence was pathetic.
Hume's form has fallen off a cliff.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

After a disgraceful performance like that, will Ulster really be an attractive proposition to top flight players?
Ulster have been choking mental midgets for the last 15 years, and we don’t have the personnel to change that.
Surely the superstar players will have silverware at the top or almost the top of their wish lists, and Ulster won’t win a single thing for the next 5 years, as that championship mentality and ruthlessness just doesn’t exist. The players seem to be content to ponce about in their BMWs, and be z list local celebrities, but when the pressure comes on, and they need to grow a pair, they are totally incapable.
It’s easier for them to roll over and get their wee tummies tickled.
Why would any top end player look at that and say “I want to be a part of that”? Apart from the money, which they could probably get at several other clubs.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

‘And one for James Hume, you have to earn the right to posture and strut, and if you think beating a Leinster B side gave you that kudos, then more fool you.’
This! Our backs are not in good form bar McCloskey, Marshall and Moore (when playing in position).

The second half was grim viewing, but I think Cooney and Henderson going off injured didn’t help. Also a couple of poor decisions like contesting the line out just before half time and contesting a couple of others on the 5m line. Better to get properly set for a massive defensive shift, for we all knew what coming. Thought the scrum generally went ok. Also a couple of poor ref decisions, but that happens every match to all teams.

At least we won’t be complacent going into Europe :)
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

I think money talks more than anything tbh.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Hume literally did an interview saying he was still not fully fit. Yet still started. Fitness comes before form.

Ulster's status as bottle merchants, remains. No change on that anytime soon. More plucky defeats to look forward to though.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:Hume literally did an interview saying he was still not fully fit. Yet still started. Fitness comes before form.

Ulster's status as bottle merchants, remains. No change on that anytime soon. More plucky defeats to look forward to though.
You can throw stockdale into that mix also. I'm seriously worried about his drop off on pace this season, especially since the last ankle injury. On this form he is nowhere near getting back into the ireland set up and looks like he needs a good 6 week preseason (which he ain't going to get). Marshall must be close to selection for next week given humes form. Can we afford to play people into fitness in big games?
Burns hasn't played in 5 weeks yet still needs strapped up to hobble through a game. The guy is a trier but it points to a serious issue with our s&c. Our failure to score points in the 2nd half of a game again raises it head from last year. Again is this a fitness issue?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Stockdale has lost all confidence.
How does he get back?
I've no idea.

Doak can't simply go from being the bee's knees to being the most over-rated player ever.
The endless box kicks must be playing to instructions.
Could be that he believes the earlier hype and needs a kick in the backside to bring him back to earth.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I can understand why Doak kicked

At the time Burns was hobbling and Ulster were a forward and back short so box kicks in to Leinster 22 was a possible means of running the clock down.

Some may consider the execution was poor but if the follow up was close the most likely thing the catcher would do was call mark when inside the 22 and kick back into touch for another Ulster line out .

With a nobbled outhalf and two in the bin speedy service by a scrum half is the last thing his team mates want thank you — run the clock down .

When is a knock out by elbow to the jaw not a red card when you play Leinster in the our Dee Sss
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:
Dave wrote:Hume literally did an interview saying he was still not fully fit. Yet still started. Fitness comes before form.

You can throw stockdale into that mix also. I'm seriously worried about his drop off on pace this season, especially since the last ankle injury. On this form he is nowhere near getting back into the ireland set up and looks like he needs a good 6 week preseason (which he ain't going to get). Marshall must be close to selection for next week given humes form. Can we afford to play people into fitness in big games?
Burns hasn't played in 5 weeks yet still needs strapped up to hobble through a game. The guy is a trier but it points to a serious issue with our s&c. Our failure to score points in the 2nd half of a game again raises it head from last year. Again is this a fitness issue?
We have a nice little collection of players with great promise who like to throw in stinkers when it comes any kind of pressure.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

It’s a shame that the likeable Dan Soper, and not Dan McFarland is the coaching teams representative at the meet the fans evening on Tuesday. In saying that I hope he feels the heat a bit. No one in the local media have the balls to criticise the team/players/staff when it’s justified let’s hope there’s a few tough questions asked from the fans.