Gibbes Waikato bound - confirmed

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Gibbes Waikato bound - confirmed

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Right but didn’t the improvement in the pack and defence actually coincide with JG slinging his hook, JP getting involved and Rory’s rallying cry?
No way of knowing. Since we blame the guy charge when it goes badly shirley we should give Jonno some praise for the recent improvement with a dung squad.

I think Andy Farrell had a lot to do with the defence. Payne isn't officially a coach but still he is better than Les Kiss.
From what I have heard Farrell was never actually here so if defence improved it was down to JP
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:From what I have heard Farrell was never actually here so if defence improved it was down to JP
Or lack of LK.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
Rooster wrote:From what I have heard Farrell was never actually here so if defence improved it was down to JP
Or lack of LK.
Well that is another angle to be honest
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cockatrice wrote:What many are missing is that Gibbes was far from fully committed to the cause here from the off-set... just look at his conditions to put to UR for coming 1. He had to be in NZ at Xmas and 2. Depending on that visit to NZ he would have to revise his situation.
Do you know that for fact?

I do suspect he was not fully committed from very early on in his contract with Ulster, but I seriously doubt those two conditions being made for him to come in the first place.

My understanding was that none of the stuff about his mum's illness were known when he signed, but that was the reason he went home at Christmas and the reason he put in his notice to leave. If that wasn't known, why would he have put the conditions in?

The French stuff is all a bit of a confusing horlix on top, and I have no idea if or when he might go there, but does anyone believe that his mother is not as ill as as alleged, and it was a made up story to justify Jonno's leaving?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I have heard the same as Cockers, was known before he signed that he could be heading home at any stage
Rory Best
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

One thing i got from that Best article was the bit about Fanning suggesting D4 were holding Bryn responsible for the McF debacle, even though, it has been suggested it was leaked from D4. Now, just think for a minute, who made a statement congratulating Bryn and Co. saying (in a round a bout fashion) he had nothing to do with the McF appointment?

That's a bit fishy for me. Stating you've nothing to do with the appointment, then a few days later, the name is leaked before things can be put in place to ensure McF can come preseason. Call me cyncial, but sounds to me like the death throes of some clown trying to scheme and put sh1t onto others and just maybe get them fired and saving his own snake ass..... But hey, i'm probably a bit too cynical.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BR wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Right but didn’t the improvement in the pack and defence actually coincide with JG slinging his hook, JP getting involved and Rory’s rallying cry?
Biggest turning point was Kiss's long overdue departure. IMHO
I'm sure you're not alone in thinking that but I'm not so sure.

He left on 31 Jan and it took until 6 April to get a win (bar the gimme against the Saffers).

Hardly a typical 'new manager bounce' was it?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

justinr73 wrote:
BR wrote:

He left on 31 Jan and it took until 6 April to get a win (bar the gimme against the Saffers).

Well I think it was more fundamental than new management bounce (I hope so). I think things needed to changed properly and it would have been foolish to try that overnight. It also coincided with all the other shîte that was happening.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep - I guess we'll never really know.

At least Gibbes managed to pull one final masterstroke by pretending to drop Gilroy and giving him a point to prove, when he knew all along that Charles was going to wimp out :lol:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:
BR wrote:

You wouldn't have had that with Jonno being already in the place. The changes did come though. The team is playing a lot differently to the disastrous LK era.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He's only taking it as a courtesy. It would be rude not to.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Dave wrote:He's only taking it as a courtesy. It would be rude not to.
He's been similarly polite to Ulster and Waikato in the past 12 months, so I am thnking that the above might well be a serious comment
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

He's been torn apart on Off the Ball

Matt Williams says it's a bun fight in Ulster
Tears into IRFU committees
Too many non ulster players contracted
Very difficult environment

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote:
justinr73 wrote:
BR wrote:

You wouldn't have had that with Jonno being already in the place. The changes did come though. The team is playing a lot differently to the disastrous LK era.
Moore was already at West Brom.

L K would have won the league save for indiscipline by Lutton.

There’s no evidence at all that Gibbes brought anything to the party and i’d carry the treacherous dog to La Rochelle myself when my Achilles heals.

Les’ biggest mistake was bringing the half-hearted mercenary to the club in the first place.