Ulster v Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster v Connacht

Post by nonplussed »

The Ravenhill 'match experience' is fairly pish for old stagers like me and many here, I rarely attend unless taking my kids, who generally abandon me for their pals anyway. But they do enjoy it, I know many who do enjoy their pint, burger and yarn, and they enjoy their night out... but thats all it is, a night out. As I've said before Ulster rugby is a sports entertainment business, if seen through that prism, they do a decent job for many... not just for those of us who love the sport and hanker for days of yore (which probably werent as awesome as we remember, we were just younger, drunk and easier pleased... )

there are local clubs all over the province who provide a good standard of rugby, cheaper pints and spectators who arent TikToking their day away... and they would welcome newcomers with open arms... get yer hole down to your local club, you might just be surprised at the welcome and standard of rugby
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:19 pm Friday 5th at 7.35pm. Still nothing on tickets at time of posting.
Wednesday?
Exterminate all rational thought
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:52 pm Too warm for hoodies under jerseys?
What are the options when slightly warmer but enough for short sleeves?
Long sleeve jerseys. Or will the fashion polizie ban them too?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Nonplussed my local club are Club Universitario Rugby Murcia, I suspect the culture may nit be as awesome as that enjoyed by my pals in Armagh, Malone or the mighty Holywood. :thumleft:

Crouchie: The Band, my best memory of the Band is Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm Garth Hudson and the rest - I'd completely forgotten that shower you mention and yes I'll tell me Ma, Jesus tonight, they hadn't a feckin' clue.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

To be fair, Bulls playing Sweet Caroline during play and the crowd singing along whilst Leinster 3rds were getting cornholed was shockingly disrespectful. That's the Saffers- for you. Worse than Wendyball
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:44 pm
They try too hard to turn it into a big experience being at the match. All the lights, music for tries etc. Ruins the atmosphere.
And the big tellies!!!! >flog
www.stoutboys.co.uk
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

nonplussed wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:03 pm The Ravenhill 'match experience' is fairly pish for old stagers like me and many here, I rarely attend unless taking my kids, who generally abandon me for their pals anyway. But they do enjoy it, I know many who do enjoy their pint, burger and yarn, and they enjoy their night out... but thats all it is, a night out. As I've said before Ulster rugby is a sports entertainment business, if seen through that prism, they do a decent job for many... not just for those of us who love the sport and hanker for days of yore (which probably werent as awesome as we remember, we were just younger, drunk and easier pleased... )

there are local clubs all over the province who provide a good standard of rugby, cheaper pints and spectators who arent TikToking their day away... and they would welcome newcomers with open arms... get yer hole down to your local club, you might just be surprised at the welcome and standard of rugby
Ravers used to be a shytehole, but it was Feral, which I loved. Only matched since by the outrage over Payne's red card QF versus Sorries and the pitchfork mob afterwards lol
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
Surprised you got that one past the thought police.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:33 pm
BR wrote:
Glad I didn't bring to mind the wearing of thermals/skins/l-s tees under a short sleeved jersey - I could have ended up being exiled to the Exiles.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:44 pm When was the last time you heard a guldering "ULSTER, ULSTER" when we were defending our line or attacking our opponents line? Doesn't really happen any more.
Last Friday night actually and every other match this season, cos I'm the buck eejit that's gulderin' it.

Yer right though, not enough join in, so it prob doesn't come across on tele.

Rather than the crowd feeding off the team though - they do tk an extent - but are much more likely to feed off wot they think is an injustice by the ref or other officials.

One of our own being carded, or better still, an opponent not being carded when he has quite blatantly attempted mass murder on some or all of our beloved team.

That's wot gets the crowd going, and sometimes I think it's worth taking a card just to get the fans behind the players
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
BR wrote:
Glad I didn't bring to mind the wearing of thermals/skins/l-s tees under a short sleeved jersey - I could have ended up being exiled to the Exiles.
That's fine imo
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:32 pm Atmosphere? It's a joint effort, team and supporters.

It is a fact that the eternally stupid, like the poor will always be with us. I've heard estimates between 700K - 850K as the hammering the coffers of UR took thanks to this act of treachery to which the FIRFUCs were complicit. What level of Moron must you be to then consider that the game should be free gratis? Some people are just as dumb as a beg of racks.

Rant Ends.
Regarding the atmosphere I agree it is a joint thing. What boils my pi$h is the idea (not your idea) that the team are entitled to the atmosphere. They aren't. If they serve up awful boring rugby and show no passion themselves, the crowd react in kind.

The crowd do still get their dander up from time to time. If we get the stormers in a SF, I think it will be pretty electric.

Re the ice debacle, no blame attaches to IRFU, much though we might wish to have a scapegoat. Ulster dismissed the grounds team, and no one thought to put covers down during a massive (and accurately forecast) cold snap. Entirely ulster's fault.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

allezlesverres wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:01 pm
BaggyTrousers wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:32 pm Atmosphere? It's a joint effort, team and supporters.

It is a fact that the eternally stupid, like the poor will always be with us. I've heard estimates between 700K - 850K as the hammering the coffers of UR took thanks to this act of treachery to which the FIRFUCs were complicit. What level of Moron must you be to then consider that the game should be free gratis? Some people are just as dumb as a beg of racks.

Rant Ends.
Regarding the atmosphere I agree it is a joint thing. What boils my pi$h is the idea (not your idea) that the team are entitled to the atmosphere. They aren't. If they serve up awful boring rugby and show no passion themselves, the crowd react in kind.

The crowd do still get their dander up from time to time. If we get the stormers in a SF, I think it will be pretty electric.
Correct, it's a joint thing. I also think the gentrification thing is right, we're a more polite crowd than we were before. I also think the big reduction in peope standing is a factor. There's something about standing that builds an atmosphere, maybe there's more bodies packed together, feeding off each other. As for the age element. As an old bloke, I'm convinced that the younger generation are so used to merely watching at a distance or on a screen that they don't get really involved at a gut level.

By the way, did everybody get their emergency call on Sunday at 3.00pm? I didn't! presumably, when Armageddon comes, I'm dispensable, expendable, surplus to requirtements.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:46 pm
BR wrote:
BR wrote:
That's fine imo
So I can wear lycra type shirt under a short sleeved Ulster jersey (for standing watching a match) but not a long sleeved jersey?

Are there any rules about my kacks?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:46 pm
BR wrote:
BR wrote: Long sleeve jerseys. Or will the fashion polizie ban them too?
That's fine imo
So I can wear lycra type shirt under a short sleeved Ulster jersey (for standing watching a match) but not a long sleeved jersey?

Are there any rules about my kacks?
You can't even get long sleeve jerseys!?

Boxers, no briefs.