Cornish Pirates

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Cornish Pirates

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Also a fan of ....... dark rum although how anyone can countenance Coke in it (or in brandy, whiskey or any other grown up liquor) is totally beyond me.
Coke and several other "soft" drinks are perfectly acceptable libations in their own way at the right time, but I have yet to find any spirit and soft drink combination which doesn't simply ruin two perfectly good separate drinks by mixing them into one.

Never been a fan of vodka, but did go through a phase when vodka and strongbow was a very acceptable beverage ..... buy double vodka and pint of strongbow; drink a mouthful or two of the cider; pour vodka into pint glass ...... enjoy!

What was I thinking! :shock:

(of course I also remember a period when it was common among students - of whom I was one - to have a pint of Bass or Smithwicks with a creme de menthe chaser! - possibly even with a Cornish pastie.)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Also a fan of ....... dark rum although how anyone can countenance Coke in it (or in brandy, whiskey or any other grown up liquor) is totally beyond me.
Coke and several other "soft" drinks are perfectly acceptable libations in their own way at the right time, but I have yet to find any spirit and soft drink combination which doesn't simply ruin two perfectly good separate drinks by mixing them into one.

Never been a fan of vodka, but did go through a phase when vodka and strongbow was a very acceptable beverage ..... buy double vodka and pint of strongbow; drink a mouthful or two of the cider; pour vodka into pint glass ...... enjoy!

(of course I also remember a period when it was common among students - of whom I was one - to have a pint of Bass or Smithwicks with a creme de menthe chaser! - possibly even with a Cornish pastie.)
Dromore RFC used to do a mean double shot of green aftershock in the bottom of a pint glass before pouring a pint om top

Easterby Out
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

In the sure and certain knowledge that I will confound and astonish in equal measure, I have yet to find a spirit that I enjoy drinking. I have tried most of the main contenders at one time or another and found all of them to be equally disappointing. My father was a Black Bush man until the end, I dare say he and Baggy would have had much in common in that respect and could have enjoyed a glass or twain. Sadly, I was always a great disappointment to him in that respect, but in latter years he did develop a great fondness for the fermented grape and that we did share.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

In the sure and certain knowledge that I will confound and astonish in equal measure, I have yet to find a spirit that I enjoy drinking. I have tried most of the main contenders at one time or another and found all of them to be equally disappointing. My father was a Black Bush man until the end, I dare say he and Baggy would have had much in common in that respect and could have enjoyed a glass or twain. Sadly, I was always a great disappointment to him in that respect, but in latter years he did develop a great fondness for the fermented grape and that we did share.

Snipe, I have never chided anyone for not enjoying spirits, my brother-in-law, a Devonian swallies pints like water but cannae lip a spirit of any sort, though like yourself he'll drink your wine cellar dry.

I don't trust teetotallers mind you, it's indicative of a range of character flaws, almost too numerous to mention. I once had an unfortunate who tried to impress me when seeking a loan by saying "drink" had never passed his lips. It was at that precise moment I decided he was a poor risk. In fairness, I had already read his business plan so the interview was to see if he had any redeeming features or undisclosed positives. None were evident, just more flaws. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Grumps I do occasionally enjoy a gin n'tonic & a slice............ though needless to say, never after lunch. >EW

I believe those who would sully whiskey or cognac with anything, barring perhaps a touch of water or ice if that is your taste, should be flogged in the market place. Mind you that Cream of the Barley crap & it's likes, they can do what they like with that filth, I'll not stand in their way.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I have been known to add soda to a drink
.[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1406720875800.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1406720875800.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406720875800.jpg (49.44 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Now some should try a Rusty Nail -- drambuie and Scotch I don't recommend them in great numbers otherwise you might be reminded of the taste for a week or two

But a very effective combination
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Now some should try a Rusty Nail -- drambuie and Scotch I don't recommend them in great numbers otherwise you might be reminded of the taste for a week or two

But a very effective combination
I would very occasionally have a wee Drambuie with a black coffee after a particularly long and sumptuous Sunday repas. Mind you I prefer a long and drawn out battle with a good whack of cheeses & a bottle of port.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

I've been off poorly for a week, so appologies for being late on this thread(though this illness may in part due to self imposed abstinence from Malt Whisky as there's no "r" in the month).
Double Diamond, now there's a blast from the past, was that available in norniron back then? Better than "bleedin' Watneys Red Barrel", but only just.
Never been much of a pasty man, nor Rum for that matter, Bourbon was the preferred choice for the "in his 20's young tb"(due to me doin' a Baggy and get bladdered rather badly on cheap blended Scotch as a teenager).
Now of course because of where I live I'm expected to eat Forfar Bridies(minging sludgy things) and Haggis, so I stick to cheese, but unlike Baggy, prefer an Islay Malt with mine rather than Port(though will not decline the offer of a free POrt, should one be going................................).