Eurotable

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Eurotable

Post by damianmcr »

We have to win it im told.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

If Clermont get to final its impossible even if we win it - if they don't we have to win it to get in top 6 at leicester's expense
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Yoda wrote:If Clermont get to final its impossible even if we win it - if they don't we have to win it to get in top 6 at leicester's expense
I was told on another thread that last year's winners are automatically top seeds regardless of points accrued.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

big mervyn wrote:
Yoda wrote:If Clermont get to final its impossible even if we win it - if they don't we have to win it to get in top 6 at leicester's expense
I was told on another thread that last year's winners are automatically top seeds regardless of points accrued.
No, strictly done on the points system AFAIK
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

ruckover wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
No, strictly done on the points system AFAIK
T'was BR, I think, that wrongly? put me right. Winners should be top seeds though or does that make too much sense?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

big mervyn wrote:T'was BR, I think, that wrongly? put me right. Winners should be top seeds though or does that make too much sense?
Winners should be top seeds, but ERC have to mess it up :roll: same way as Leinster were 2nd seeds, yet have to win away at Clermont to reach the final. Where's the sense in that?! :scratch:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

This has been clarified by others before and also recently.

The ERC Rankings are used to allocate teams who have qualified into the 4 Tiers. The most recent HC winner is automatically placed in Tier 1 irrespective of their ranking points.
The (ERC) rankings will establish four tiers of six teams each with the reigning Heineken Cup champions automatically going into Tier 1 along with Europe's other, currently, most successful teams.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Whoops, sorry merv, my bad :oops:

Cheers cables :salut:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Thanks Cables. The Oracle has spoken :lol:

We haven't been that high in the rankings since we won the Celtic League. Gotta be a good sign.

Embra must have run us pretty close for team of the week. S'pose it was the away win that clinched it.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Embra must have run us pretty close for team of the week. S'pose it was the away win that clinched it.
Clermont were pretty clinical for an away side too, don't forget, so they must have been in with a shout. Probably the fact that they were only playing an English team went against them :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Embra must have run us pretty close for team of the week. S'pose it was the away win that clinched it.
Clermont were pretty clinical for an away side too, don't forget, so they must have been in with a shout. Probably the fact that they were only playing an English team went against them :lol:
Aye, like when we beat Aironi last week and still went down in the rankings :lol:
Big Neville Southall
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

big mervyn wrote:Aye, like when we beat Aironi last week and still went down in the rankings :lol:
... and perhaps moreso as Aironi had been good enough to beat Munster recently.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Interesting that our qualifying group, which some didnt say was that hard, has the 2nd, 4th and 6th ranked teams in Europe according to this table in it.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I believe we are assured 2nd tier in the ERC rankings for 12/13. Currently 10th (ahead of Quins??) with only RCT and Edinburgh with the potential to pass us. And that is even if everyone above us qualifies.

France are guaranteed 7 places. So the remaining slot should go to either a non-qualifying English team (by ERC ranking), Cardiff or Connacht. Remains to be seen what happens to Aironi's place (I'm betting they wait to see how Biarritz get on, before deciding).
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

BR wrote:I believe we are assured 2nd tier in the ERC rankings for 12/13. Currently 10th (ahead of Quins??) with only RCT and Edinburgh with the potential to pass us. And that is even if everyone above us qualifies.

France are guaranteed 7 places. So the remaining slot should go to either a non-qualifying English team (by ERC ranking), Cardiff or Connacht. Remains to be seen what happens to Aironi's place (I'm betting they wait to see how Biarritz get on, before deciding).
The full scoop is already on this thread.

forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14162&start=15

Wasps are the team who would qualify if Edinburgh or Clermont win the HEC... however in today's paper there are stories about how they are in financial difficulties and could be about to do an Aironi. Bath are currently next highest ranked non-qualifying team after Wasps.