Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by rumncoke »

I smell some D4 in the mix -- too many leaving too few joining at this time

Looks like a lot of leinster might have beens could be transferred or might be's sent up on loan --

The Leinster squad is to settled for some of the maybes or the guys in the academy to develop .

Ulster have sent some on loan where the cover looks adequate but are thin in cover at this time in some other positions and Leinster have a large squad many not on the double salary kick .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

kingofthehill wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:58 pm
Columbo wrote:So we are letting go JTA and Milo. Unless we have a cunning plan that is bizarre, not to say stupid. And I don’t think looking to any academy player for tighthead depth is realistic.

I wonder if another loan is in the offing? That could potentially square what was said at the fans forum about no more signings. The problem is nobody really jumps out as a worthwhile signing - TH is a position of weakness for all the provinces in all honesty..
Nothing other than a money thing.

Stockdale downgrading to an ulster contract didn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Money? As in we couldn't afford to keep JTA?

It's very concerning if we have spent our budget and left ourselves with only 2 senior THs, one of which is 32 and has a very serious injury.

How can this be when you look at the long list of players leaving us, even with Kitshoff coming in this doesn't make sense.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Agreed.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Suspect JTA at his stage of career is looking more than a one year deal which is more than we can possibly offer. He could go to France on a 2-3 year deal post world Cup make a nice retirement fund.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

thecrouch wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:09 am
Columbo wrote:So we are letting go JTA and Milo. Unless we have a cunning plan that is bizarre, not to say stupid. And I don’t think looking to any academy player for tighthead depth is realistic.

I wonder if another loan is in the offing? That could potentially square what was said at the fans forum about no more signings. The problem is nobody really jumps out as a worthwhile signing - TH is a position of weakness for all the provinces in all honesty..

It's very concerning if we have spent our budget and left ourselves with only 2 senior THs, one of which is 32 and has a very serious injury.

How can this be when you look at the long list of players leaving us, even with Kitshoff coming in this doesn't make sense.
Kitshoff must be on big money and I assuming Ulster are covering it v down at Munster where they have a small group of wealthy fans who are covering Snyman's salary.

Ulster had to absorb Stockdale's contract from the IRFU even though they got a decent wedge of gate money from the R16 game v Leinster, did lose £700k over pitch gate and of course are spending anywhere between £600,000 - £1.5 Million on this plastic pitch......
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Neill_M wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:38 am
thecrouch wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:09 am

Kitshoff must be on big money and I assuming Ulster are covering it v down at Munster where they have a small group of wealthy fans who are covering Snyman's salary.

Ulster had to absorb Stockdale's contract from the IRFU even though they got a decent wedge of gate money from the R16 game v Leinster, did lose £700k over pitch gate and of course are spending anywhere between £600,000 - £1.5 Million on this plastic pitch......
It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Hendy’s central contract (assuming he gets one) will need topping up.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Plastic pitch is a Capital spend most likely not funded from income but any interest on the money borrowed would have to come from income and the money borrowed paid back over the expected lifetime of the pitch .

Similarly Ulster could be waiting to see who might be available after the World Cup — as I doubt if all the gaps in the squad will come from D4
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

thecrouch wrote:

Signings left won’t be big names.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Let's see what the dreggs of the IQ bargain basement has to offer....
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

:D
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

kingofthehill wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:09 pm
thecrouch wrote:

Worrying.

Doesn't even need to be a big name, it's going to be 3rd choice, but I hope it's not French or some other player from the Sydney Fishermans 3rd XV (been a while since we signed one of these in fairness).

We're one injury (which we currently have) away from someone like French playing every game for us. Insane.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I will be supporting Ulster tonight come what may. :fleg:
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Contract Situation

Post by kingofthehill »

thecrouch wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:09 pm
thecrouch wrote:

Worrying.

Doesn't even need to be a big name, it's going to be 3rd choice, but I hope it's not French or some other player from the Sydney Fishermans 3rd XV (been a while since we signed one of these in fairness).

We're one injury (which we currently have) away from someone like French playing every game for us. Insane.
French might be decent…..and a good family guy.

Last edited by kingofthehill on Fri May 05, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

I’d guess TH is the most difficult position to fill - if it’s all about money (and not NIQ nonsense) why not dispense with a couple of backs and a couple of back rowers - these positions would be easier to fill in the event of injuries from the Academy
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

kingofthehill wrote: French might be decent…..a good family guy.
Is he any good at rugby though? To be fair enough I'd be happy enough with someone like Ross Kane (no rumour just the sort of player I think that could improve our squad). I think it was his contract Milo took and for my money it was a downgrade. Not a world beater, but solid and one of our own. Had high hopes for him when he initially came through, injuries seemed to take their toll though.