Squad depth 2024/25

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Squad depth 2024/25

Post by justinr73 »

Lots of old and not so old English players heading for the Chunnel in the summer.

Saints are badly hit and, whilst Lawes is 35, Ludlum, Moon and Ribbans (last year) are all 27/28 and hitting their prime.

At least one of our boys has earned himself a lucrative move though,after impressing the French with his work over the last few years.

Book a table from July at Pierre Gagnaire’s three star place on rue Balzac in Paris and Shanners will bring you your water and maybe even a bread roll if you ask him nicely.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

9 confirmed leavers in the Summer.

Angus Curtis (Retired), Billy Burns (Munster), Steven Kitshoff (Stormers), Luke Marshall (Retired), Greg Jones, James French, Will Addison, Dave Ewers, Shea O’Brien
DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

So EOS hanging around then?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

O'Connor not leaving then, that rumour had been floating about all season.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

A lot of these guys could do with a really robust preseason with a massive focus on fitness. Marty looks like he has been doing a far bit of cycling lately. AOC and EOS look in dire need of some conditioning too. Get this lot up the dunes again.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

I thought EOS had a great game on Saturday against the Scarlets.

He played for the full 80 minutes and had a thundering run at the end of the first half - only to be taken down by a flying drop kick from Gareth Davies. I thought he scrummage well as well.

I'm pleased he is staying - he looks to be coming good again.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Off the Top wrote:I thought EOS had a great game on Saturday against the Scarlets.

He played for the full 80 minutes and had a thundering run at the end of the first half - only to be taken down by a flying drop kick from Gareth Davies. I thought he scrummage well as well.

Agreed. I don't think he was given much of an opportunity by Dan over the last 18 months or so. Glad he's staying.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Ds69
Novice

Post by Ds69 »

Neill_M wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:20 pm 9 confirmed leavers in the Summer.

Angus Curtis (Retired), Billy Burns (Munster), Steven Kitshoff (Stormers), Luke Marshall (Retired), Greg Jones, James French, Will Addison, Dave Ewers, Shea O’Brien
I thought shea was contracted to 2025?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Off the Top wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:48 pm I thought EOS had a great game on Saturday against the Scarlets.

Yes, he put in a very good shift and that run, leading to the yellow, saved our bacon.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Ds69 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:37 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:20 pm 9 confirmed leavers in the Summer.

I thought shea was contracted to 2025?
I believe so.

Could have come to an agreement, with the lad concentrating on his medical career.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Addisons form of late combined with humes injury makes the decision to let him go look foolish in hindsight. He would have been in a weak position to negotiate salary wise so unless it was his decision he could have been offered another year relatively cheap.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

jean valjean wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:28 pm Addisons form of late combined with humes injury makes the decision to let him go look foolish in hindsight. He would have been in a weak position to negotiate salary wise so unless it was his decision he could have been offered another year relatively cheap.
Nonsense on stilts. Addison has always been capable of a few decent performances but keeping him on as 13 cover given his injury profile would have been utter madness. We would in all likelihood be paying him to be injured alongside Hume.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The correct answer is that the decision to let him go was entirely logical at the time, due to question marks over his fitness and the financial constraints, but in the light of Hume’s injury and Addison’s decent showings in recent games, especially at 13, it would have been handy to keep him for another year.

However, it’s academic given he’s going to Sale.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Hindsight has 20-20 vision.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Not fussed re Ewers - there is enough young BR pups ready to get the exposure.

The good news is with a coach like Murphy who’s predisposed with young players, playing them isn’t perceived a risk as much, so we should be seeing a young side, and an increase in
“Ulster homegrown” of it!!

I’m genuinely excited about it.

I think this end season and next is shaping the squad, exposing the pups. A coaching shake up end of next season. By then The pups will have had a season of decent exposure. Then actual desired coaching tkt 25/26, with Murphy having a full season to show how far he’s rebuilding things at end of 2yr contract.

Good news is UR can start looking at coaching make up with Murphy over the summer with a season to get them signed up ready for 25/26.