Squad depth 2024/25

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

SUFTUM_19
Novice

Squad depth 2024/25

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Now that we’ve got Murphy lined up for the next couple of seasons, where do we sit on quality and depth for next year?

Coaching - Murphy needs the chance to build his own team imo. Newby leaving apparently, freeing up space for a skills coach. Bell and Grant will probably leave next season after their contracts are up. Getting Payne back should be a priority, either this season as backs coach, with Soper going back to skills, or as defence coach likely the season after. We should be keeping an eye on a few up and coming coaches - Gareth Steenson back in NI, Pienaar seems to want to come back by the sounds of it, Willie Falloon is highly rated and Louis Ludik was doing a good job at Instonians.

LH - Only Warwick and Reid signed up for next season. Could see TOT switch to LH, but feels dependent on Marty Moore’s fitness. We should keep EOS, looked good on Saturday and has potential to get back to his best with a run of games. Saunderson graduates from the Academy but don’t know much about him. Boyd, Doak and Boal all in academy - strongest prospect seems to be Boyd who can play on both sides of the scrum.

Hooker - Herring still no.1 as he does the basics very well, Stewart needs to improve his set piece to get ahead of him. Big hopes for James McCormick, been injured most of the season but hopefully can push past Andrew next season and challenge for a place in the 23. Andrew a solid operator as ever. Henry Walker looked decent in the U20s and Zac Solomon has already made his senior debut.

TH - If we can get Marty Moore, O’Toole and Wilson all fit and firing we are in a good place - TOT will probably swap to loosehead in that case. French meant to be leaving at the end of the season, but that does leave us a little light in depth, so one of the Academy props might need to hone in on that spot.

Locks - Hendy (when fit) and Sheridan are our best 2 second rows imo. Sheridan has huge potential, and should keep 6 as an option, but I think second row is his best position. Treadwell and O’Connor aren’t world beaters but very solid options, unsure whether the rumours surrounding O’Connor’s retirement are still true. Izzy, like Tom Stewart, has so much potential but needs to get his basics right. Really liked the look of him at 6 on Saturday though, would like to see more of that. Hopes and Irvine in the Academy seem decent prospects, hopefully they will get some game time.

BR - Timoney and McCann nailed on starters. Still unsure if Ewers is staying, we could probably do with signing someone if he’s off. Really like the look of Reffell, just always seems to be injured. If Marcus Rea can get back to his form from a few seasons back, he’ll be in the 23. Crothers looked good against Benetton, and alongside McNabney and McLoughlin can provide good depth going forward. Matty Rea and Greg Jones out of contract at the end of the season, think Jones will go this season and Rea next. Josh Stevens, Bryn Ward, Tom Brigg and James McKillop all seem to be good prospects coming though Academy.

SH - Cooney and Doak still no1 and no2, I still see Doak as a 9 long term, with no 9s in the Academy. Unsure if Michael McDonald is coming back from Connacht, or if Shanahan is staying - he’s been a great servant. Conor McKee seems to be the only prospect coming through but don’t know much about him.

FH - Rumours we’ve been talking to Aidan Morgan which would improve depth. If we manage to get him and Jack Murphy makes the move up, them two + Flannery all have the opportunity to make the 10 shirt their own next season. Also would give Doak a bit more flexibility. We have Humphreys Jr in the Academy, if he’s half as good as his dad we’ll be alright.

Centre - potential concern with Hume out long term, Addison rumoured to be leaving, and Marshall and Curtis retiring. McCloskey and Moore probably first choice next season, with Postlethwaite getting more exposure too. If we have signed De Klerk and Bearman from Leinster too that’s a good bit of business.
Unsure whether Ben Carson is being renewed for next season.

Back 3 - Hopefully Stockdale and Baloucoune can get back to their best next season as starting wingers. Kok looks like a really decent option though, think he’ll become a bit of a cult hero a la Toomaga-Allen. Lowry, McIlroy and Moore probably battling it out for the last spot in the back 3. Sexton, Moxham and Shea O’Brien all contracted until next season, hopefully they can become more involved. In the Academy, we have Rory Telfer, Lucas Kenny, Ethan Graham and Ben McFarlane - if one of them was able to break through next season that would be big - McFarlane looked very good at schools level tbf.
Alec Adoo MBE_
Novice

Re: Squad depth 2024/25

Post by Alec Adoo MBE_ »

Really enjoyed reading your detailed analysis of our squad for next season. I tend to agree with most of what you say however I unfortunately have to say that I don’t share your optimism for our existing options at 10. I don’t feel Doak has improved as a player at s/h over the last few seasons and looked severely limited in his few outings at 10, Flannery never has been and never will be an option and having watched Humph Jnr for the development squad and in club games over the past few years, he is very unlike his da in all facets of his game and sad to say he will never be an option to step up.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

On the coaching front, Willie F taking the reins with the Irish U20s. Neil Doak joining the coaching team as well - does that open a space in the UR Academy coaching the forwards? Imagine Doak will continue as backs coach alongside Irish U20s role.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Under Contract

LHP – Andrew Warwick (2025), Eric O’Sullivan (2024), Callum Reid (2025), Cameron Doak (xxxx), George Saunderson (xxxx)
Hooker – Rob Herring (2025), Tom Stewart (2026), John Andrew (2025), James McCormick (2024)
THP - Tom O’Toole (2027), Marty Moore (2024), James French (xxxx), Ben Griffin (2024), Scott Wilson (2026)
Lock - Alan O’Connor (2025), Kieran Treadwell (2026), Cormac Izuchukwu (2026), Iain Henderson (2025), Charlie Irvine (xxxx), Joe Hopes (xxxx)
Backrow - Nick Timoney (2025), David McCann (2025), Marcus Rea (xxxx), Greg Jones (2024), Matthew Rea (2024), Dave Ewers (xxxx), Harry Sheridan (2025), Reuben Crothers (2024), Sean Reffell (2026), Lorcan McLoughlin (2026), James McNabney (2027)
SH – Nathan Doak (2026), Dave Shanahan (2024), John Cooney (2025), Conor McKee (2025), Michael McDonald (2024)
10 - Jake Flannery (2026), James Humphreys (xxxx)
Centre - Stewart Moore (2025), James Hume (2027), Stuart McCloskey (2025), Ben Carson (2024)
Back 3 Player - Robert Baloucoune (2025), Ethan McIlroy (2025), Ben Moxham (2025), Jude Postlewaite (2026), Michael Lowry (2025), Shea O’Brien (2025), Aaron Sexton (2025), Jacob Stockdale (2025), Will Addison (xxxx), Rory Telfer (xxxx), Werner Kok (2026)

Coaches – Richie Murphy (2026), Dan Soper (xxxx), Craig Newby (2024), Jonny Bell (2025), Roddy Grant (2025)

Those with (xxxx), I don't know their contract situation. 2024 means their current deals are up in the Summer etc. Obviously if I have something wrong, let me know.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Alec Adoo MBE_ wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:45 pm Really enjoyed reading your detailed analysis of our squad for next season. I tend to agree with most of what you say however I unfortunately have to say that I don’t share your optimism for our existing options at 10. I don’t feel Doak has improved as a player at s/h over the last few seasons and looked severely limited in his few outings at 10, Flannery never has been and never will be an option and having watched Humph Jnr for the development squad and in club games over the past few years, he is very unlike his da in all facets of his game and sad to say he will never be an option to step up.
Likewise, I was reading this post optimistically until I got to 9/10. Key positions with . other than JC, third rate contenders,

Priority fix for the new team
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

A signing like Morgan might help but I'd feel very good about Murphy jnr heading this way. I'm enjoying young players getting a crack.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Morgan seems to be a short Brennan running 10 which could be interesting. Maybe wait a year and sign Damo.

In terms of the all important back row, it sounds like Ewers is going and I’d be surprised if Izzy at 6 is not an ongoing experiment.

A big, heavy lock would come in handy for a couple of years.
Ds69
Novice

Post by Ds69 »

Normally i cant add much to these types of threads but i did heard about Cameron Doak, doubtful he will make the grade, apparently doesnt have the work ethic/ drive. In fairness thats only one persons opinion.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Dave wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:24 pm A signing like Morgan might help but I'd feel very good about Murphy jnr heading this way. I'm enjoying young players getting a crack.
I think we shouldn't expect too much from Murphy this season, he's still very young. He'd be behind Flannery in terms of his career progression.

One for the future I would say.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Great opening post.

My biggest concerns are prop and half backs. I think we're short in both areas.

At prop, loose head is a big concern as neither Warwick or O'Sullivan (assuming we keep him) are anything other than decent players and Reid has yet to show anything of note.

Tight head is better thanks to the surprise emergence of Scott Wilson as an option, and we have a good option in O'Toole. Marty Moore, honestly I'm unconvinced about his level of fitness, I think outside of the scrum he is a liability on the field. If TOT does switch to loose then we have an issue at tight head. The numbers just don't add up.

At half back I think our issues are obvious. We haven't got enough of them and we haven't got a good enough 10. Doak is not the answer there.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

thecrouch wrote:
Dave wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:24 pm A signing like Morgan might help but I'd feel very good about Murphy jnr heading this way. I'm enjoying young players getting a crack.
I think we shouldn't expect too much from Murphy this season, he's still very young. He'd be behind Flannery in terms of his career progression.

Agree. Would be great to have him but I wouldn't be throwing him in to start big games at this stage.

Last edited by shamalicious on Tue May 14, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

thecrouch wrote:

Agreed. Speaking hypothetically of course. Murphy could be the long term guy, if he comes.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Dave wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:48 am
thecrouch wrote:

Agreed. Speaking hypothetically of course. Murphy could be the long term guy, if he comes.
He is.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Billy V leaving Sarries. Probably for acting the Brennan in Majorca.

He'll probably be off to France for big bucks, but if he is deemed enough of a liability (which would take some doing in France), we should be throwing some money at him. Sign him up to the Free Ps to purge his soul of his sins as a signing bonus . . .
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

So It Is wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:12 pm Billy V leaving Sarries. Probably for acting the Brennan in Majorca.

He'll probably be off to France for big bucks, but if he is deemed enough of a liability (which would take some doing in France), we should be throwing some money at him. Sign him up to the Free Ps to purge his soul of his sins as a signing bonus . . .
Joining Montpellier.