Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Ireland)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Irel

Post by Big-al »

Burns is on the bench now though.

He was unavailable for the last few weeks.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Irel

Post by justinr73 »

Murphy had given Cooney a whole one minute’s break in four games (after he was finally certain Montpellier’s 7 aside team weren’t going to stage a recovery).

Shanners isn’t due a start for another three years.

Doak kind of had to go back to 9.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

TheBoat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:39 pm Greg Jones? Are we a decking crèche?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I think it’s nice of UR to give Greg a farewell appearance.

At the end of the game, he’s going to do a lap of honour with all the other players’ kids.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Ulster only have 2 scrum halves capable of starting. Not great for Doak but we have to muddle through this season. At least he got a run of a few games for now.

Flannery should get a few games too. Best environment to see them both in
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Weather forecast looks good, dry night. No change on the betting spread, Ulster still 9 point favourites.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Jones provides a possible jumper if necessary and the alternative back rows won't feature frequently in 2 years time anyway.

Basically Murhpy has to see what he has and what he can dump and what he needs to make the team competitive in 2 years .

With so many flying the coup this year I don't expect much difference next year its a rebuild situation. leinster have basically a very settled squad and alternatives compared to Ulster with like for like replacements ie a full back for a full back rather than a wing slotting in . The only like for like Ulster have is in the front row. Other players get slotted in as needs must.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Alternatives to Jones won’t feature for 2 years?

Mcnabney, Mcloughlan and Crothers have featured this season.

Jones has been having these ‘last chance’ games for at least 3 seasons now!!

He won’t be any better than winter 22/23.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

rumncoke wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 pm Jones provides a possible jumper if necessary and the alternative back rows won't feature frequently in 2 years time anyway.

Basically Murhpy has to see what he has and what he can dump and what he needs to make the team competitive in 2 years .

With so many flying the coup this year I don't expect much difference next year its a rebuild situation. leinster have basically a very settled squad and alternatives compared to Ulster with like for like replacements ie a full back for a full back rather than a wing slotting in . The only like for like Ulster have is in the front row. Other players get slotted in as needs must.
Leinster slotted in an outhalf/centre at full back last weekend.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 pm Alternatives to Jones won’t feature for 2 years?

Mcnabney, Mcloughlan and Crothers have featured this season.

Jones has been having these ‘last chance’ games for at least 3 seasons now!!

He won’t be any better than winter 22/23.
And he's gone at the end of the season. Totally pointless. Either of those 3 are the future and should've got the chance Dan like selection and ballix. Do we want to win ffs? :duh:
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He’s fed up of having to pick kids.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Whether guys are staying or leaving we have a smallish squad, and we don’t know re levels of fitness. Even if it doesn’t mean sense, truth is we may just need game mins off players even if they are leaving end of season.
I’d also say although out of contract etc end of season if by some miracle RM said to Dublin I need him it could happen. Either way for some guys it’s a final shop window opportunity for some for future employment etc.
I think pretty much every decision is easily explainable, bar backrow. Greg’s hit a level, the pups may just surprise Murphy - Scott Wilson is a super scrummager-6mths ago, he was behind 2 guys who couldn’t scrum. Play the feck pups!!
We have a free run to audition everyone, if we fail to reach Champs trophy so be it. We need to be 100% certain of the future for the start of pre season. In the challenge cup we played Clermont and Montpellier I’m sure we would still get crowds. UR in terms of knowledgeable rugby crowds just needs to show a plan, conviction, and searing honesty….the true rugby fans will follow.
The true answers for success are within Ulster, all of Ulster…..anyone who doesn’t recognise that - needs to go. Only excellence is acceptable, job for the boys should be gone.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Dharper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pm
We have a free run to audition everyone, if we fail to reach Champs trophy so be it. We need to be 100% certain of the future for the start of pre season.
We missed out on the revenue of ONE champions cup game this season and it put a 750k hole in our finances. Missing out on ALL of the champions Cup games would be disastrous from a financial point of view.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

allezlesverres wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:24 pm
Dharper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pm
We have a free run to audition everyone, if we fail to reach Champs trophy so be it. We need to be 100% certain of the future for the start of pre season.
We missed out on the revenue of ONE champions cup game this season and it put a 750k hole in our finances. Missing out on ALL of the champions Cup games would be disastrous from a financial point of view.
A part of that alleged £750K would have been putting in place alternative arrangements and refunding tickets sold, including season ticket holders.

Missing all the Champions Cup games would not be so bad as they would be replaced by Challenge Cup games. True the calibre of opponent
may make a difference to the attendance, but If it looked like we could be somewhat successful in that competition, that would draw in some extra fans anyway. There's nothing like winning matches to encourage fans through the turnstiles.

All that said, I still want to be in the Champions Cup next season (and every season), even though it's unlikely I will be renewing my own season ticket, but that's for personal health reasons more than being pi$$ed off with Ulster - albeit the latter doesn't exactly help.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So I said to the guy next to me on the East Terrace, “OI, CAN YOU HEAR ME?”

Thanks to Jasper Carrott for that one.
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

3G pitch strikes again

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk