Leinster v Ulster Mon Jan 1 5:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Leinster v Ulster Mon Jan 1 5:15pm KO

Post by Dharper »

Re Sheridan…is he still studying at uni in Dublin, maybe exams are coming up which could explain absence.
I’m a massive fan of his, he’s abrasive, and I love that, especially when frankly there’s been times players have gone missing against big packs. You want that kind of attitude and player around the squad, and he’s already physically in good enough shape to handle himself at this level.

As an aside I loved the exchange of the pundits at the munster Leinster match over RG Snyman, central contracts, and Leinster. DOC went off on one big time, Jackman let slip Leinster had too many central contracts and Heaslip was his typical Leinster biased self….and that was before the presenter used the term “financial doping” re Leinster…..I was loving it.

Personally I don’t think on this occasion there is an issue with the move. Expecting to have 2 NIQ second rows on the books is unrealistic.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Please don’t suggest rational explanations for Sheridan’s absence.

The preference is for conspiracy theories or incompetent selection policies.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Looking for a ticket for this, anyone got a spare?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:37 am Please don’t suggest rational explanations for Sheridan’s absence.

You're correct Justin. We should trust DF and his team that have delivered so much - inserted a backbone of steel into the team , turned Ravenhill into a fortress to be feared, and wrung every bit of potential from what little talent we have. Our Alex Ferguson or David Moyes at PNE for football equivalents... :scratch:
Exterminate all rational thought
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Well one way of banishing conspiracy theories is to come out and say So-And-So is unavailable because of studying/missus about to have a kid/personal reasons etc. They do it for injuries ffs, why not in this case?

Most folk would understand and he would gain more credibility, but instead he looks like very inconsistent.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Give the results yesterday and fixtures to come tomorrow, likely we'll drop,out of the top 8 altogether, possibly 10th, dependent on results. Losing to both Jocks has killed us.
That Leinster bench is a statement.
The top 8 looks extremely competitive. Bennetton currently second albeit with two wins vs Zebre.

We have some gnarly fixtures in the latter half of the season- 2 in SA and Lenster/ Turnips to finish.
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

So It Is wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:23 pm Well one way of banishing conspiracy theories is to come out and say So-And-So is unavailable because of studying/missus about to have a kid/personal reasons etc. They do it for injuries ffs, why not in this case?

Most folk would understand and he would gain more credibility, but instead he looks like very inconsistent.
Correct. Poor selection or poor stakeholder management. Absence of rational explanation does Dan no favours.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:Please don’t suggest rational explanations for Sheridan’s absence.

It's hardly because he has exams FFS Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

thecrouch wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:47 am Looking for a ticket for this, anyone got a spare?
HM King Charles III has a spare . . . allegedly.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:42 pm
So It Is wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:23 pm Well one way of banishing conspiracy theories is to come out and say So-And-So is unavailable because of studying/missus about to have a kid/personal reasons etc. They do it for injuries ffs, why not in this case?

Correct. Poor selection or poor stakeholder management. Absence of rational explanation does Dan no favours.
++ 1. Straw man stuff. I'm going with poor selection policy, which is a constant, ( also are McNabney, Rea the greater, Crothers or McLoughlin injured?- all have higher ceilings imo) or has Matty remortgaged?
We also have Irvine as a 20 yo lock at over 2m.....
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

If youngsters aren't t yet ready and there are alternatives then fair enough. My worry is that ulster is wholly reliant on 3 locks, one of whom is limited by the IRFU and regularly injured and another is a journeyman (AOC) who probably wouldn't even be in the top dozen IQ options at lock across the provinces. No lack of effort but low ceiling already reached.

Not seen enough in Izzy yet to see if he's good enough but ulster really need to be looking at developing alternatives. Anger term projects for one of the current backrowers maybe?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:24 pm Give the results yesterday and fixtures to come tomorrow, likely we'll drop,out of the top 8 altogether, possibly 10th, dependent on results. Losing to both Jocks has killed us.
That Leinster bench is a statement.
The top 8 looks extremely competitive. Bennetton currently second albeit with two wins vs Zebre.

We have some gnarly fixtures in the latter half of the season- 2 in SA and Lenster/ Turnips to finish.
We’re going to find ourselves in a similar position to Munster last season, we’re going to be sweating it at the end of the season as to whether or not we even make the champions cup next year.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm If youngsters aren't t yet ready and there are alternatives then fair enough. My worry is that ulster is wholly reliant on 3 locks, one of whom is limited by the IRFU and regularly injured and another is a journeyman (AOC) who probably wouldn't even be in the top dozen IQ options at lock across the provinces. No lack of effort but low ceiling already reached.

Not seen enough in Izzy yet to see if he's good enough but ulster really need to be looking at developing alternatives. Anger term projects for one of the current backrowers maybe?
Bart, We have 2 x 6"6' Ireland U20 locks in the Academy... Why not get them gym time and bulk them up?... we saw Irvine once and he didn't disgrace himself.. Munster starting to see the fruit of blooding forward yoot, and as for Leinster, this wouldn't even be an argument.

Most of us here would sacrifice a season to blood these guys- we couldn't be any worse off? There is a tranche of decent young Ulster forwards coming through it seems- all at an age where they will still fill out and improve considerably if managed properly....
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:41 pm
Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm If youngsters aren't t yet ready and there are alternatives then fair enough. My worry is that ulster is wholly reliant on 3 locks, one of whom is limited by the IRFU and regularly injured and another is a journeyman (AOC) who probably wouldn't even be in the top dozen IQ options at lock across the provinces. No lack of effort but low ceiling already reached.

Bart, We have 2 x 6"6' Ireland U20 locks in the Academy... Why not get them gym time and bulk them up?... we saw Irvine once and he didn't disgrace himself.. Munster starting to see the fruit of blooding forward yoot, and as for Leinster, this wouldn't even be an argument.

Most of us here would sacrifice a season to blood these guys- we couldn't be any worse off? There is a tranche of decent young Ulster forwards coming through it seems- all at an age where they will still fill out and improve considerably if managed properly....
' if managed properly....'
I was feeling lifted by your post until that last bit. Now I just feel depressed again. 😒
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

promenader 2 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:33 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:41 pm

' if managed properly....'
I was feeling lifted by your post until that last bit. Now I just feel depressed again. 😒
Sorry Prom. It's my one constant across the last decade or more. I think we've had some decent talent, poorly developed, stalled or even leaving rugby altogether... McBurney, Chris Taylor etc comes to mind.