Ian Madigan

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Ian Madigan

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Sorry to hear of his retirement. I would have liked to have seen him play a lot more. He always seemed to give of his best and he saved Ulster from losses on occasion. :salut: :salut: :salut: I preferred him to Billy Burns as an Ulster and Ireland player. He never seemed to get his due reward or recognition.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ian Madigan

Post by rumncoke »

Dog he was a GAA convert who could kick but hadn't a clue as to when or when not to pass

When at leinster was highly over rated and got found out and moved on
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

But apart from that……?!
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:43 pm Dog he was a GAA convert who could kick but hadn't a clue as to when or when not to pass
Yes! Number one criteria for becoming an Irish International.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Madigan was not a "GAA convert" in the sense that he was a late comer to rugby. He played football and GAA, as well as rugby, growing up, which is commonplace with talented kids down here. I wish him well on his retirement.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

His attitude was first class when he was here and should have had a few more starts. I wish him well.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Sorry there isn't another year or two in him, especially as we look a bit light at 10.

A really good lad during his time here.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

By GAA convert I " mean someone who grew playing GAA more than rugby and possibly GAA first -ie his ball handling skills are those of a GAA -catch and kick" play who could cross to rugby due to the kicking element at which he excelled - lots of length and accurate off the tee and out of hand.

But as stated his" passing " as a rugby player left a lot to be desired .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I thought that by "GAA convert" someine had kicked him between the posts. :shock: :?

In spite of his alleged "shinner boots*", I wish him well and thank him for his service to Ulster, which I believe extended to more than what we witnessed on the field of play.

* I'm not a fan of his alleged political views, but I support his right to peacefully hold those views
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:53 pm I thought that by "GAA convert" someine had kicked him between the posts. :shock: :?

In spite of his alleged "shinner boots*", I wish him well and thank him for his service to Ulster, which I believe extended to more than what we witnessed on the field of play.

* I'm not a fan of his alleged political views, but I support his right to peacefully hold those views
Not sure what the alleged political views were :scratch:

There was nothing particularly controversial about a citizen of the Irish republic displaying the flag or referencing 1916. I believe Madigan did it as a tribute to an ancestor, a non combatant medic, who treated the wounded. He also recently defended the singing of Zombie as an anthem of peace.

Interestingly, you may recall that Leinster won the relevant game 19-16
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:55 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:53 pm I thought that by "GAA convert" someine had kicked him between the posts. :shock: :?

There was nothing particularly controversial about a citizen of the Irish republic displaying the flag or referencing 1916. I believe Madigan did it as a tribute to an ancestor, a non combatant medic, who treated the wounded. He also recently defended the singing of Zombie as an anthem of peace.

Absolutely - I agree Merv. I simply say I am not of the same political persuasion, nor do I cast any nasturtiums in his direction for that - unlike some who did "allege" unattributed political views - eg, "shinner boots".
I do heowever wholeheartily defend anyone's rights to hold whatever political views they want - so long as they do that peacefully and without coercion of those who hold differing views.
I have no idea what you are referring to re Zombies - is oit a Halloween thing? A bit early, no?
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:23 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:55 pm

Absolutely - I agree Merv. I simply say I am not of the same political persuasion, nor do I cast any nasturtiums in his direction for that - unlike some who did "allege" unattributed political views - eg, "shinner boots".
I do heowever wholeheartily defend anyone's rights to hold whatever political views they want - so long as they do that peacefully and without coercion of those who hold differing views.
I have no idea what you are referring to re Zombies - is oit a Halloween thing? A bit early, no?
Where have you been Grumps? The singing of the Cranberries classic "Zombies" post SA game has prompted some faux outrage amongst some republican types who think a song about the Warrington bomb shows too much pro Brit bias :roll:
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:41 pm Where have you been Grumps? The singing of the Cranberries classic "Zombies" post SA game has prompted some faux outrage amongst some republican types who think a song about the Warrington bomb shows too much pro Brit bias :roll:
No, still dunno wot yer on about.

Zombies? :scratch:

Aliens maybe ... >crazy1

Had been away from this planet for a while - seems it's all kicked off while I was away????

BTW, my grandfather was a noncombatant in 1916 too, but a lowly stretcher bearer rather than a medic.

Some Germans blew him up at a wee place called the Somme - you may have heard of it - it was in the news and all the papers . . . . in 1916.

Some medics patched him up (it wouldn't have been Mad's granda, maybe?) and sent him back to a place called Wipers.

Some Germans gassed him there. We wondered was it something personal.

Maybe he should have learnt the lesson of his first wounds and avoided no-man's land. Dangerous place apparently.

He survived that too, but had a bad chest all his life before his premature death a couple of years before I was born.

I've never felt the need to wear rugby noots with 1916, or indeed 1917 on them, but hey, each to their own, eh?
I'm not arguing -