Friends of the Cancer Centre

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

tigerburnie
Warrior

Re: Friends of the Cancer Centre

Post by tigerburnie »

Still waiting, seems the kidney stone is not the only blockage, there's another in the NHS system too, oh well.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

One of the problems with the blockage is that by the time some patients actual make it into the operating theatre what was once a simple operation has become complex thus taking longer .

eg on the day I went for my biopsy the urologist had to send three patients home ( myself included )because what should have been a routine procedure had become more complex. Similarly an inguinal hernia operation should only take 45 minutes mine took an hour and a half due to the complexity of the operation due to the delay in operating .

It is a product of delay.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Sadly it's a product of political interference, the Tories get their way and they sell the NHS to the yanks and we will all have to buy private insurance.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

To friends with cancer, I offer this verse,
To show you that you are not alone in this curse.
Your journey is tough, and the road is long,
But know that you are strong, and your spirit is strong.

The battle is fierce, and the fight is hard,
But you have friends who will stand by your side, come what may.
We'll be with you through thick and thin,
In the darkest moments, we'll be your light within.

We'll hold your hand and lift you up,
And help you fight this battle with all our love.
We'll pray for your health and your recovery,
And support you every step of the way, until victory.

So, to friends with cancer, we say this with pride,
You are our heroes, and we are on your side.
You inspire us with your courage and grace,
And we know you'll emerge victorious in this race.

We'll always be here, and we'll never leave your side,
Together, we'll overcome this challenge, with faith and with pride.
You are not alone, and you'll never be,
We are here for you, friends, and we believe in thee.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Tiger
I put that idea into one of political myth --- there is nothing to be gained politically by sell off the NHS as such

The fact is the NHS is selling or sub leasing services to reduce costs and avoid unionisation

Eg my eye test previously performed at an NHS facility was transferred to a private provider --- I didn't pay for the service the NHS did

My Hernia operation was carried out at a private facility --again I didn't have to pay .

The problem the NHS has is matching staff and facilities -- the surgeon who did my hernia operation only had two assistants an anaesthetist and one theatre nurse -- he said if he knew the nature of the operation before hand he would have done it in a hospital where there would have been at least two more present.

As i say there is nothing to be gained by selling off the NHS but as can be seen by the little op above -- costs in NHS are maximised to match the risks involved or not involved.

The problem the NHS faces is demand exceeds supply I spent 9 hours in an ED department which was more like a social club for the local housing estates the waiting area being full of mammy -daddy and child who looked well as the really ill crowded the treatment area waiting the results of tests -- blood tests take about 2 hours to be returned --- it took the staff six hours to decide what to do due to the result -- do we--don't we -- do what's safest
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

For those with Prostate cancer it is a slow road basically because Prostate cancer itself is a slow illness where approximately 50% are semi benign if diagnosed early

The problem prostrate cancer has few symptoms but the risks increase incrementally past the age of 45
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

They are removing most of my prostate, not because it is containing cancer yet, it looks dodgy, is way too big causing me problems, but because I had a tumour removed from a kidney and they are going past the prostate to remove a 1 cm kidney stone they thought they'd kill two birds with one stone whilst they're in there, so to speak. I'd like to think they are being pro active and saving me grief later.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

A 1 cm kidney stone that’s some stone if it moved you’d be in agony big time.
I’ve had a few flakes which caused cold sweats and blood in the urine .
The Prostate bit sounds like a TURP can’t see how anything else would be of benefit unless to remove cancer .
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Well I've had most of the work done, the stone was zapped with a laser which then slightly damaged the tube, so I still have a stent in at the moment. They then lasered the Prostate and the material is being analysed for cancer, expect results in a couple of weeks, but my last PSA test result was low so not overly worried. The surgeon who removed my tumour from the kidney has left our area, so waiting for someone to give me the results from the last CT scan to see if I'm still clear. The catheter they sent me home with was removed on Thursday, so I am now doing a good impersonation of John Wayne having just got off his horse after a week in the saddle.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

and then just to kick me in the same area, we go and get humped in Dublin.................
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:59 pm and then just to kick me in the same area, we go and get humped in Dublin.................
So which was worse, the laser or Dublin?
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

solidarity wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:27 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:59 pm and then just to kick me in the same area, we go and get humped in Dublin.................
So which was worse, the laser or Dublin?
Ha ha, been to Dublin a couple of times a very long time ago, what small bit I saw was average, so Dublin is definitely worse lol.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Tiger had an oversized catheter for 23 days bladder spasms about 3 times day the most painfully thing I ever experienced it made that "Wheee" moment of removal seem like a miracle ,

They can have the results of Prostate removal in 24 hours -- its the decision of how to treat anything takes time --- which is made by a MDT multi disciplinary team which meets at best weekly to look at the "path" reports --- the existence of Easter may delay an notification .

The PSA level sounds good but high PSA may only identify a large Prostate or infection as well as cancer which is why any decision to biopsy now is based on PSA and MRI .
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Just been told the cancer still at bay kidney wise but no report yet on the prostate, I get the stent out next week, no anaesthetic apparently, is this a cost saving and I just get a piece of wood to bite on?...................................jeez ohh!!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Meanwhile back in the waiting is Bobby -- any word yet ?