Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: Contract Situation

Post by HammerTime »

The problem is there are so many below average that one or two above average gets cancelled out. Kitschoff and Evers on they’re own next season won’t make any difference whatsoever to us. It’ll be the same old story at the end of the season. Vermeulen and Sutherland were anonymous at the weekend. No one likes a top name signing like me but it needs to be 3 at the very least and in the pack alone. As things stand with us falling further and further behind Leinster and even the other provinces … I’d be happy enough to have a 2 or 3 years without any top money signings and use the money to revolutionise/professionalise schools and underage rugby.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:33 pm Aaron Sexton to 2025.
How many minutes he he played? Been around a few years now and almost nothing to show.
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

bangorboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:52 pm
How many minutes he he played? Been around a few years now and almost nothing to show.
Same could be said about a lot of our players tbf.
John Andrews is a solid player, happy that he has signed on. What is the story with Reid? He's barely featured this season. Thought he'd be a promising enough player but seemingly fallen down the Dan McF black hole for young forwards.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

So that's Reid, Andrew and Sexton to 2025.

What's the list looking like now, @Neill_M ?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dave wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:40 pm So that's Reid, Andrew and Sexton to 2025.

What's the list looking like now, @Neill_M ?
2023 / Unknown List

LHP - Rory Sutherland (short term)
THP - Gareth Milasinovich, Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen
Lock - Sam Carter, Iain Henderson
Backrow - Duane Vermeulen, Sean Reffell
SH - Michael McDonald, John Cooney
10 - Ian Madigan, Jake Flannery
Centre - Luke Marshall, Angus Curtis
Back 3 Player - Rob Lyttle, Jacob Stockdale, Craig Gilroy, Will Addison
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

I heard a bit of a puzzling rumour - that we’re letting both JTA and Milo go

Which would leave us with 5 looseheads contracted for next year, but just 2 tightheads - wondering if we have a new TH lined up, or whether, thanks to Petrie screwing up our budget next year with frozen pitch-gate, Andy Warwick is going to switch across??
..one more thing
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Columbo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:53 pm I heard a bit of a puzzling rumour - that we’re letting both JTA and Milo go Image

Which would leave us with 5 looseheads contracted for next year, but just 2 tightheads - wondering if we have a new TH lined up, or whether, thanks to Petrie screwing up our budget next year with frozen pitch-gate, Andy Warwick is going to switch across??
Was the source of this rumour on very strong recreational drugs?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Columbo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:53 pm I heard a bit of a puzzling rumour - that we’re letting both JTA and Milo go Image

Would surely need to keep one of JTA / Milo.

Would Ulster's share of the gate receipts from Saturday not cover #pitchgate? Ulster got 35% (ball park €800,000) of approx €2.5 Million if you assume €50/ticket from Saturday.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:I heard a bit of a puzzling rumour - that we’re letting both JTA and Milo go Image

There would have to be another tighthead lined up if true. Like one of Petrie, Dan, Bryn would have to have lost the plan. It's full on faulty towers mode.

Warwick doesn't cover it well. TOT potentially not available post RWC. Marty not due back until ??? There should quite easily be a case for another NIQ. Or else a sloppy second elsewhere from another province is on route, but I don't think there are many going spare.
wanderer
Novice

Post by wanderer »

Cockatrice wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:05 pm I recall reading sometime ago that Ulster had something like £7m of a price cap on wages … excuse me I am incorrect but recall reading that was the amount..

If so I think it puts us above most of not all English clubs.
I may be wrong but always feel that people are comparing apples and oranges when comparing a provincial wage bill with an English club wages cap.

I think the English cap excludes what they can pay for 2 (?) marquee players. They also get credits for EQ players and maybe England players.

So their wage bill can be much higher than their headline wages cap.

Sorry, no time to check the actual situation. Their number of marquee players might be falling too. Their wages cap is definitely falling.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

wanderer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:29 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:05 pm I recall reading sometime ago that Ulster had something like £7m of a price cap on wages … excuse me I am incorrect but recall reading that was the amount..

If so I think it puts us above most of not all English clubs.
I may be wrong but always feel that people are comparing apples and oranges when comparing a provincial wage bill with an English club wages cap.

I think the English cap excludes what they can pay for 2 (?) marquee players. They also get credits for EQ players and maybe England players.

So their wage bill can be much higher than their headline wages cap.

Sorry, no time to check the actual situation. Their number of marquee players might be falling too. Their wages cap is definitely falling.
I believe the English cap is £5MN for season 23/24 with 1 marquee player allowed outside the budget.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I’d like them to take a look at Scott Wilson.

There is potential there.

Not sure who is behind him though?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:28 pm

Would surely need to keep one of JTA / Milo.

Would Ulster's share of the gate receipts from Saturday not cover #pitchgate? Ulster got 35% (ball park €800,000) of approx €2.5 Million if you assume €50/ticket from Saturday.
If they did then it makes up for £750,000 that they lost in December for the moved game
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So It Is wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:28 pm
John Andrews is a solid player, happy that he has signed on. What is the story with Reid? He's barely featured this season. Thought he'd be a promising enough player but seemingly fallen down the Dan McF black hole for young forwards.
Reid not good enough at top level
Exterminate all rational thought
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
So It Is wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:28 pm
Reid not good enough at top level
What about for Ulster though?