Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Happier to see Jones there rather than Matty Rea.

Our back row is going to struggle. Jones, Refell and Murphy (from the bench) have had no game time. It's a selection head scratcher. Dan?

Fully understand squad rotation and managing player minutes, to throw 3 of 4 back row into a matchday 23 who have played next to nought shows no foresight.

Refell came with a bit of pedigree. Hopefully he can eventually put his hand up for 1st XV starting positions. Interested to see how he goes.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by justinr73 »

No doubt you were looking forward to seeing JOD and Matty Rea in a pretend to be hard (whilst fooling nobody) competition Dave?!
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

The Irish Independent haven't been paying attention to their autocorrect - Leinster have Ronan Kelleher at "hoover", and Connacht are missing "Finland Bealham" through illness.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:16 pm Happier to see Jones there rather than Matty Rea.

Our back row is going to struggle. Jones, Refell and Murphy (from the bench) have had no game time. It's a selection head scratcher. Dan?

Fully understand squad rotation and managing player minutes, to throw 3 of 4 back row into a matchday 23 who have played next to nought shows no foresight.
Maybe, maybe not.

We knew POM and Beirne weren’t going to be making a nuisance of themselves at the breakdown.

It’s not unthinkable that we’ll find it tougher to win next week.

Will be interesting to finally get a proper look at Reffell,
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:No doubt you were looking forward to seeing JOD and Matty Rea in a pretend to be hard (whilst fooling nobody) competition Dave?!
Without collar grabber in chief (POM) those two are just amateurs...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Happier to see Jones there rather than Matty Rea.

Refell came with a bit of pedigree. Hopefully he can eventually put his hand up for 1st XV starting positions. Interested to see how he goes.
Maybe Jones is besting Matty in training these days. With a fairly strong pack, otherwise, I would have preferred a youngster given a shot or Izzy having a run at 6.

Yes, it should be a good test for Refell. From what I've seen, he's a potential proper fetcher at openside. If he stays injury free, he could be a real asset.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Apropos of nothing in particular, I was approached by a very well turned out (and brought up) young man in a Galway pub after the match last week.

Seems he went to school with Izzy and held him in high regard.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Dave wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:55 pm

Maybe Jones is besting Matty in training these days. With a fairly strong pack, otherwise, I would have preferred a youngster given a shot or Izzy having a run at 6.

Yes, it should be a good test for Refell. From what I've seen, he's a potential proper fetcher at openside. If he stays injury free, he could be a real asset.
You’re luck you’ve seen him. He has been non existent in an ulster shirt this season. If he was to warm up in front of the terrace I couldn’t pick him out.

Hopefully he’s a decent old school flanker.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Big-al wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:48 pm
Dave wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:55 pm

You’re luck you’ve seen him. He has been non existent in an ulster shirt this season. If he was to warm up in front of the terrace I couldn’t pick him out.

Hopefully he’s a decent old school flanker.
18 minutes away to Llanelli in September would seem to be the extent of his URC game time so far.

https://all.rugby/player/sean-reffell
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

kingofthehill wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:43 pm 4 big guns won’t be available for Munster unless they plan on resting them for Europe which I can’t see. They went all out against Leinster and came away with one point. Surprised they didn’t try and target the ulster match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe they fancy their chances against us with a lite team?! I wouldn't put it past them, we're looking rudderless at the minute.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:03 pm Will continue to say it again and again Marty Moore is our most important player.

Only tight head we have had in the last eight years since Afoa departure that can lock a scrum.
That being said, and agreed with, the importance on scrummaging seems to be on the wane. I recall a game recently when the first scrum was in the 4oth minute.... even then, refereeing of scrums seems to be a lottery too.... Does he offer a lot more on the loose compared to Moore?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

While I agree throwing Jones and reffell into this game is a risk, I think we are stronger in all other areas of the pitch. Munster will make the breakdown a real battle and if we get parity there we should squeeze out a win. Need Duane to last a good 70 mins.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Interesting information from the BBC:
'Hume restores his centre partnership with Stuart McCloskey and Burns is named at scrum-half alongside fly-half John Cooney.'
Eejits :duh:
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:40 pm While I agree throwing Jones and reffell into this game is a risk, I think we are stronger in all other areas of the pitch. Munster will make the breakdown a real battle and if we get parity there we should squeeze out a win. Need Duane to last a good 70 mins.
On paper man for man, ulster have a considerably stronger side.

If the run on sides the only Munster players I’d have for ulster are wearing 6,7,10 & 15.

11-4 to ulster.

Ulster reserve props are a worry, Murphy & Flannery are as well to be honest.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Big-al wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:40 pm While I agree throwing Jones and reffell into this game is a risk, I think we are stronger in all other areas of the pitch. Munster will make the breakdown a real battle and if we get parity there we should squeeze out a win. Need Duane to last a good 70 mins.
On paper man for man, ulster have a considerably stronger side.

If the run on sides the only Munster players I’d have for ulster are wearing 6,7,10 & 15.

11-4 to ulster.

Ulster reserve props are a worry, Murphy & Flannery are as well to be honest.
Munster team spirit will pi$h all over any paper.