Where are they now?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Where are they now?

Post by Cockatrice »

Interesting comparison on the progress of Under 21 players here with the AB's and some others noteably our close cousins Wales.

Frequently we get the same message every year 'the futures bright the futures white' and how great our academy is compared to others but in truth this puts it into persepctive.

I recall indicating before that just because we have previously had strength in the Schools, U19 & U21 set up it doesn't mean that they all will become internationals in the following couple of years.

Class does in my opinion shine through no matter what the age but in our case we are programmed to beleive that players need to be 25-26 before they can get regular game time and at least 27 before they can don an Ireland shirt.

On a slightly different note I recall asking on the UR site did UR still have its (well announced at the time) link up with (I think) Wellington as an exchange for students or some young players. The idea presumably was that some of our players would get soem valuable experience playig in NZ if even for 6 months. Did it ever take place did any Ulster players make the journey. I don't know and they won't tell.

This week we seen another young Welsh lad take his opportunity in NZ with Jones playing himself into a shot at the test team. Unlike out players who will if we listen to the plan be OK in a couple of more years.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

totally agree CT and an interesting piece from the site where.htm

from finalists last year to 9-12 playoffs this year - ok with some different personnel
but given the number of players from other countries that have progressed at the very least to their domestic programmes, if not further to S12 or even full international set-up, it seems scandalous that most of last year's side are still on development contracts or playing AIL.
These guys need to be playing CL rugby - let's see if they're good enough

Hopefully the CL agreement from last Friday will allow the 'A' games McCall mentioned to go ahead during international weekends. I hope that these are not just used for fringe squad players but, especially during Autumn programme (when there aren't 21 games), that we get to see the likes of Ferris or Henry, Trimbleor Steenson
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

FB the above is an absolute must and surely an 'A' inter-pro series shouldn't be to difficult to organise. Trible et all need to be brought in sooner rather than later
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Certainly McCall mentioned fixtures against the Irish provinces and Scottish regions at 'A' level - I hope they go ahead
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Ding,

were the Tribles not the subject of a Star Trek episode? The game might start with only one Trible - but by the end of it there could be hunderds on the field :shock: :? 8)
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

pwrm it would be no tribble at all if we had hundreds of tribbles on the pitch might confuse the opposition and god knows we could do with the help. Anyway the Klingons have been trying to get rid of those furballs for years. Kirk out :P
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012