Ireland u20s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ireland u20s

Post by kingofthehill »

Setanta wrote:Correct!
Who wasn’t deemed worthy enough of making the squad at the start. You couldn’t write it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:Summary please.

How did the ulster boys go?

This is a poor u20 side that seem to just implode at certain points in games. Very poor decision making at times. They butchered a few tries. Byrne jnr isn't great in my view. The whole thing is a bit rudderless. In this tournament I've seen both of today's starting wingers play centre and at least one of the starting centres played wing earlier in the competition. I'm not sure that helps.

Lowry was excellent but in truth he rarely had the ball in hand. The first time he got the ball, deep in his 22, he stepped two players and setup a counter attack that almost resulted in a try at the other end. He tackled so well against some huge Jap/Tongan wingers. I want to see him at 10 now.

Hume was decent and had a few line breaks. He needs to improve his defence but being shifted onto the wing when usually operating in the centre may be an issue.

Agnew was solid. He grafted all game long. Not much gets past him.

Dunleavy had a half off the bench. He won a very crucial turnover. Ireland were camped on their own try line for multiple phases. He came up with the jackal and won the penalty. If Japan had crossed the whitewash at that point it would have been much more difficult for Ireland to hold on. Didn't do much else of note.

Stewart played much better than against SA. He had a few snipes that resulted in linebreaks. Scored a try. He seems to have learned from his charge down as he was marshalling troops to provide cover before box kicking. He needs to find some consistency in his game now.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Summary please.

How did the ulster boys go?

This is a poor u20 side that seem to just implode at certain points in games. Very poor decision making at times. They butchered a few tries. Byrne jnr isn't great in my view. The whole thing is a bit rudderless. In this tournament I've seen both of today's starting wingers play centre and at least one of the starting centres played wing earlier in the competition. I'm not sure that helps.

Lowry was excellent but in truth he rarely had the ball in hand. The first time he got the ball, deep in his 22, he stepped two players and setup a counter attack that almost resulted in a try at the other end. He tackled so well against some huge Jap/Tongan wingers. I want to see him at 10 now.

Hume was decent and had a few line breaks. He needs to improve his defence but being shifted onto the wing when usually operating in the centre may be an issue.

Agnew was solid. He grafted all game long. Not much gets past him.

Dunleavy had about 15 mins off the bench. He won a very crucial turnover. Ireland were camped on their own try line for multiple phases. He came up with the jackal and won the penalty. If Japan had crossed the whitewash at that point it would have been much more difficult for Ireland to hold on. Didn't do much else of note.

Stewart played much better than against SA. He had a few snipes that resulted in linebreaks. Scored a try. He seems to have learned from his charge down as he was marshalling troops to provide cover before box kicking. He needs to find some consistency in his game now.
Cheers

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Odds on Lowry playing more games at 15 than at 10 next season?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jackie Brown wrote:Odds on Lowry playing more games at 15 than at 10 next season?

Joe's orders. Carbery must remain no. 2 for Ireland.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Odds on Lowry playing more games at 15 than at 10 next season?

If Louis is out for an extended period as expected, we need a fullback. I like the idea of a young fella gaining some experience away from the spotlight at 10. So there's an opportunity to give him some game time there.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:

If Louis is out for an extended period as expected, we need a fullback. I like the idea of a young fella gaining some experience away from the spotlight at 10. So there's an opportunity to give him some game time there.
Agree Snipe but you are forgetting one thing.....this is Ulster Rugby we're talking about and when would they try something as sensible as that, or for that matter even contemplate such a thing.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Playing Lowry at 15 today was just irresponsible from the coaches in such an important game.

He’s never played 15 before and if it had of went wrong I’m sure quite a lot of people on here would of judged him for it. Can’t get my head around the decision at all.

Lowry and Hume will be Ulster 10 and 12 next year at some stage and yet they have been played at 14 and 15 by the national side. It’s just absolutely crazy.

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZUvX57H1PE

Link to a recording of the game if anyone wants to see our lads in action.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

kingofthehill wrote:Playing Lowry at 15 today was just irresponsible from the coaches in such an important game.

In addition to that how irresponsible was it to leave him out of the original squad and call him up at short notice before drafting him in to the starting 15? The whole thinking with regards to the backline was chaotic at best and the commentators touched on the fact that wingers starting today had played at centre during the the tournament and centres starting today had previously played on the wing.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

There is something very much amiss with this u20 setup
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Dave wrote:There is something very much amiss with this u20 setup
Correct
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Dave wrote:There is something very much amiss with this u20 setup
Correct
Has Nucifora written all over it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

23 to face England on Friday at 7:15pm (On RTE2 in theory)

15. Jake Flannery (Munster) 14. Conor Phillips (Munster) 13. Liam Turner (Leinster) 12. David Hawkshaw (Leinster) (C) 11. Jonathan Wren (Munster) 10. Harry Byrne (Leinster)* 9. Craig Casey (Munster) 1. Josh Wycherley (Munster) 2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Connacht)* 3. Thomas Clarkson (Leinster) 4. Charlie Ryan (Leinster)* 5. Niall Murray (Connacht) 6. Martin Moloney (Leinster) 7. Scott Penny (Leinster) 8. John Hodnett (Munster)

16. John McKee (Leinster) 17. Michael Milne (Leinster) 18. Ryan Lomas (Connacht) 19. Brian Deeny (Leinster) 20. David McCann (Banbridge RFC / Ulster) 21. Cormac Foley (Leinster) 22. Sean French (Munster) 23. Rob Russell (Leinster)
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Neill_M wrote:23 to face England on Friday at 7:15pm (On RTE2 in theory)

15. Jake Flannery (Munster) 14. Conor Phillips (Munster) 13. Liam Turner (Leinster) 12. David Hawkshaw (Leinster) (C) 11. Jonathan Wren (Munster) 10. Harry Byrne (Leinster)* 9. Craig Casey (Munster) 1. Josh Wycherley (Munster) 2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Connacht)* 3. Thomas Clarkson (Leinster) 4. Charlie Ryan (Leinster)* 5. Niall Murray (Connacht) 6. Martin Moloney (Leinster) 7. Scott Penny (Leinster) 8. John Hodnett (Munster)

16. John McKee (Leinster) 17. Michael Milne (Leinster) 18. Ryan Lomas (Connacht) 19. Brian Deeny (Leinster) 20. David McCann (Banbridge RFC / Ulster) 21. Cormac Foley (Leinster) 22. Sean French (Munster) 23. Rob Russell (Leinster)

oh dear - disappointing that we don't have a few more deemed to make the grade...or am I missing something?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: