Dear Bryn

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Dear Bryn

Post by stickinout »

kingofthehill wrote:
Columbo wrote:
ColinM wrote:
Columbo wrote:I think Bryn is ok in his recruitment/management role - but not doing his own thing, I.e. within a proper framework driven by proper CEO and strong head coach

He is absolutely not a potential CEO. He has no relevant experience
What good recruitment did he do again? Did he sign any non cornerfleg clients?

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
no this is what I mean by within a good framework - I think he’s technically fairly able, as in managing negotiations etc. I think the big thing that has been missing is no over-arching strategy - due to weak head coaches/CEO. So signing Piutau is an example of a smashing piece of recruitment for a club like Ulster - but also an example of a terrible piece of recruitment in the context of a club with limited resources that had plenty of good back 3 players, but had been crying out for back rows for years...
Anyone who remotely follows Ulster would know that ulster didn’t need to sign a back 3 player when piutau was signed.

Absolutely correct. His signing was a right head scratcher for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Columbo wrote:
ColinM wrote:Any signs he can negotiate with people outside the esportif stable?

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
i honestly don’t know, are all the guys he signed esportif? That is a very fair question though..

(And the esportif connections with Ulster are certainly a bit queasy)

I raised concern over potential conflict and whether it had been disclosed.. both Bryn and Constable have business links together outside UR but I suspect no one here would think any of that is of any concern..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Wee Woman wrote:Didn’t Cooney ask to come to Ulster?

Don’t think anyone can claim credit for that if it was instigated by Cooney himself.

Think he said himself the day Ruan left he told his agent to contact Ulster.

Thanks John :thumleft:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I think recruitment over the past four years has been less than good... from a big signing that we didn’t actually need to sub standard cast offs. It has left us with what we are told is a lack of core leadership and experience in key profile age groups which may take years to fix... this is incompetence and similar to the RHI scandal were no one is responsible.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:I think recruitment over the past four years has been less than good... from a big signing that we didn’t actually need to sub standard cast offs. It has left us with what we are told is a lack of core leadership and experience in key profile age groups which may take years to fix... this is incompetence and similar to the RHI scandal were no one is responsible.
Part of that leadership vacuum must also be chalked down to the disastrous Longwell years in the academy. NIQ signings need to be much more strategic and far higher quality. Deysel may come good, but Hond is an embarrassment. If Marcell breaks again we send him back and Rodney needs to learn some professionalism. Hope if he is retained, it's on a pay for play contract.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:I think recruitment over the past four years has been less than good... from a big signing that we didn’t actually need to sub standard cast offs. It has left us with what we are told is a lack of core leadership and experience in key profile age groups which may take years to fix... this is incompetence and similar to the RHI scandal were no one is responsible.
Part of that leadership vacuum must also be chalked down to the disastrous Longwell years in the academy. NIQ signings need to be much more strategic and far higher quality. Deysel may come good, but Hond is an embarrassment. If Marcell breaks again we send him back and Rodney needs to learn some professionalism. Hope if he is retained, it's on a pay for play contract.
I agree that the Academy years were wasted under Longwell and as a result we have suffered... I have said for years that NIQs needed to be of higher standard frequently using Diack as the template only to be chastised. As for Deysel I could understand if this was some youngster coming through but at his age I would cut him loose now. With regard the HOND why is he still here and if there isn't as appears to be the case some clause that says we can't get rid of players then whoever is responsible needs to make changes... More props to go apparently and I hope Rodney is also out failed to live up to past promise elsewhere and lets move forward with O"Toole as he can only get better..
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
I agree that the Academy years were wasted under Longwell and as a result we have suffered... I have said for years that NIQs needed to be of higher standard frequently using Diack as the template only to be chastised. As for Deysel I could understand if this was some youngster coming through but at his age I would cut him loose now. With regard the HOND why is he still here and if there isn't as appears to be the case some clause that says we can't get rid of players then whoever is responsible needs to make changes... More props to go apparently and I hope Rodney is also out failed to live up to past promise elsewhere and lets move forward with O"Toole as he can only get better..
Hond signed a 2 year (poss 3 year) and has bought a farm in ballymena. Why would he care if he isn’t involved,he’s still getting paid a substantial amount of money.

Heard ulster branch trying to assign him to Omagh in the hope he might not enjoy Ulster as much and leave. These are not my words!!

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Rockrugger
Novice

Post by Rockrugger »

Cockatrice wrote:He's been there for 4 years so whatever your view it is certainly not one of giving him a chance as that for me is enough time to base an assessment of anyones performance on..

I would only have a slight concern if his business interest with another ex player who previously owned a well known sports agency hadn't been declared to UR in case it should represent a potential conflict of interest.
Now we are talking!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I had a great Pie'n'Chip fundraiser night in Omagh Rugby Club a few years back. A great wee club, but they're not the sort of lads who'd have a bluffer like the Hond about the place.
If Rodders has been given another contract, then Bryn has yet another black mark on his copy book.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

kingofthehill wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Hond signed a 2 year (poss 3 year) and has bought a farm in ballymena. Why would he care if he isn’t involved,he’s still getting paid a substantial amount of money.

Heard ulster branch trying to assign him to Omagh in the hope he might not enjoy Ulster as much and leave. These are not my words!!

No better example why there is something fundemently wrong with our recruitment process and our contract management as to how a player can come here hold down an NIQ in such key position, get paid a shyte load of money, run a hard manual business and remain unfit and unable to play.. the persons responsible need reviewed.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Cockatrice wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Part of that leadership vacuum must also be chalked down to the disastrous Longwell years in the academy. NIQ signings need to be much more strategic and far higher quality. Deysel may come good, but Hond is an embarrassment. If Marcell breaks again we send him back and Rodney needs to learn some professionalism. Hope if he is retained, it's on a pay for play contract.

No better example why there is something fundemently wrong with our recruitment process and our contract management as to how a player can come here hold down an NIQ in such key position, get paid a shyte load of money, run a hard manual business and remain unfit and unable to play.. the persons responsible need reviewed.
Could UR not hire a private dick, get some telephoto shots of him humping bales, and get the contract nulled as we can prove he's riding us silly on the sick?
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

This bashing of the signing of Charles is really getting old.

We did sign a marque back rower for the same season, Charles’ signing did not prevent that.

We were only going to be allowed by D4 to sign a back. Already had a NIQ 9. Had paddy so certainly weren’t signing a 10. Had the two stu’s, cave, Luke and Jared covering centre. If anything you could argue that it was a very intelligent move given the decline of Tommy and AAT.

The sad fact is that if Marcell had stayed fit, Hond hadn’t been terrible, the irfu hadn’t shafted is over Ruan and some silly wee girl didn’t do something stupid then regret it we would have had a very different couple of years and Charles would have been central to that.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Eggs -- bar Paddy and Stuart --and IF Jared had not got injured you would have faced the same the same retirements AAT ,Bowe and the disappearance of Charlie.

The mess is the exile of Paddy and Stuart which adds two players into the equation which Neither the IrfU or Ulster permed for two years ago they might have hoped for another season out of one of the wings and an injury free Jared -- and there is the point of real neglect because it should have recognised and action last year that at least two backs would be needed this year .

D4 looking at the Irish team thought everything was rosy --- lots of talent coming through no need to worry it all come right in the end -- a lot of promise in the Academy --- untested and at least two years away from the necessary experience and physical requirements of the Professional game.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

stickinout wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Part of that leadership vacuum must also be chalked down to the disastrous Longwell years in the academy. NIQ signings need to be much more strategic and far higher quality. Deysel may come good, but Hond is an embarrassment. If Marcell breaks again we send him back and Rodney needs to learn some professionalism. Hope if he is retained, it's on a pay for play contract.

Could UR not hire a private dick, get some telephoto shots of him humping bales, and get the contract nulled as we can prove he's riding us silly on the sick?
Quite why UR can't simply terminate his contract is in my humble opinion beyond belie.. the fact that he is able to purchase a farm and presumably carry on the daily chores of a farmer whilst remaining unable to play sport which in turn is paying him a shyte load of money defies logic... no wonder we are seen as basket cases and whoever has his prints on this needs taken out and at least threatened of being shot unless sorted.. a simple clause was all that was needed in any contract yes UR seem incapable of the most basic business sense.. this isn't about signing a tube its about having to keep him and have him take up a space.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Given how high Charlie found himself in statistics I'd hate to see how bad Ulster would have been without him

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk