Robbie Diack

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Robbie Diack

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Diack was MOTM in 26-16 win at home to Scarlets in Nov 2008 and in 13-6 win at home to Zebre in Dec 2013.
Christ Crucified Merv, I remember that 2013 match as the worst ever ....until the last year's under FOLK and the lads.

Why was GIRRID not MOTM, was it not him who scored the only try?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:There's a lot of horse biscuits being offered up as hobnobs here. Robbie has been a good team player, not international class, but solid. He has been defensively excellent, OK he made a lot of soak tackles, but he still made them and he was good in both set piece. He was OK at the breakdown and seemed to be effective enough in the maul. His carrying into contact was indeed pants, but that's the only aspect of his game that was really below the standard required.
I've always said it Snipe, you are a most generous soul. A very kind assessment, if a guy who like p is nowhere near legendary status of those with far fewer caps.

That apart I just can't get past his non-try in our home final at the RDS. Could have won that game after a gift 7 point start to Mexico and Lacey at his most "Ulster shall not win".

By the way Scrumptious, Darren Cave 209 224 points and dozens of assists.

That Sean Reidy eh? No Dave him, great try per game ratio for his position, just like Cave.
deliberately left out Cave, Bowe, Trimble and Cooney out as it would embarrass the rest of the squad ....Diack wasn't a Ferris but still has a reasonable points for tally and yes I remember that non try at the RDS along with a few weird substitutions
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Diack was MOTM in 26-16 win at home to Scarlets in Nov 2008 and in 13-6 win at home to Zebre in Dec 2013.
Christ Crucified Merv, I remember that 2013 match as the worst ever ....until the last year's under FOLK and the lads.

Why was GIRRID not MOTM, was it not him who scored the only try?
From the Irish News:

Paddy Wallace and Man of the Match Robbie Diack began to threaten the Zebre line and from their hard work, Payne scored his wonder-try.
In a dogged affair, Payne produced arguably the only moment of class when the centre weaved through three tackles to touch down between the posts, leaving Pienaar with the easiest of conversions.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Blackskulllad
Novice

Post by Blackskulllad »

Here's hoping Ludik doesn't stick around for another five years and slip down the pecking order. Otherwise here he will be remembered as a dave.

Interview with Robbie Diack | The Front Row Union
https://thefrontrowunion.com/2010/10/in ... bie-diack/
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Do "FRU Man of the Match awards" count?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:There's a lot of horse biscuits being offered up as hobnobs here. Robbie has been a good team player, not international class, but solid. He has been defensively excellent, OK he made a lot of soak tackles, but he still made them and he was good in both set piece. He was OK at the breakdown and seemed to be effective enough in the maul. His carrying into contact was indeed pants, but that's the only aspect of his game that was really below the standard required.
I've always said it Snipe, you are a most generous soul. A very kind assessment, if a guy who like p is nowhere near legendary status of those with far fewer caps.

That apart I just can't get past his non-try in our home final at the RDS. Could have won that game after a gift 7 point start to Mexico and Lacey at his most "Ulster shall not win".

That Sean Reidy eh? No Dave him, great try per game ratio for his position, just like Cave.
That moment of infamy at the RDS was always destined to be an albatross around Robbie's neck.
At the time I thought he must have feared he was going to be forced into touch, but watching it on TV, he had lots of room and should have barrelled through Sexton. So I'm left to write it off as a total brainfart.
Bad and all as it was, I don't think it should overshadow everything the guy has done.
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

That moment of infamy at the RDS was always destined to be an albatross around Robbie's neck.
At the time I thought he must have feared he was going to be forced into touch, but watching it on TV, he had lots of room and should have barrelled through Sexton. So I'm left to write it off as a total brainfart.
Bad and all as it was, I don't think it should overshadow everything the guy has done.
Unfortunately and in a nutshell this, and Robbie, is why Ulster are never winners...... Too soft, make wrong decisions at pivotal moments.
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Do "FRU Man of the Match awards" count?
Not in my book Merv, wee John's awful website is full of shyte...... though admittedly I'm not a fan since my last "meeting" with him about 6 years ago when he crept up behind me let go an attempted insult and scuttled off. He also gave a voice to crashing bore, Darkside/Gobshite late of this parish. From memory DsideGobshite was a member of the banking fraternity who liked to look down on people less fortunate than himself. Exactly the type of fücker I'd enjoy chinning..

I'd as soon read Munsterhalfwits as FRU and I never read it. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The non try was a symptom of a wider problem he had. He was routinely stopped in the tackle and driven back. It was a real momentum killer. I remember Kieron Marmion dumping him in a tackle down in Galway. I just remember losing any faith I had in him.

Anyway WTF do we know. Guess who said this:

"Actually, Robbie Diack has been the player of pre-season at the minute, he's knuckled down. There has been a lot of contact in training and he is putting his head were other people wouldn't. I can't wait to see him in the pre-season games when he gets out on the pitch because he didn't get a lot of game time last season."
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Dave wrote:The non try was a symptom of a wider problem he had. He was routinely stopped in the tackle and driven back. It was a real momentum killer. I remember Kieron Marmion dumping him in a tackle down in Galway. I just remember losing any faith I had in him.

"Actually, Robbie Diack has been the player of pre-season at the minute, he's knuckled down. There has been a lot of contact in training and he is putting his head were other people wouldn't. I can't wait to see him in the pre-season games when he gets out on the pitch because he didn't get a lot of game time last season."
pretty sure Steve was drunk that morning or had spent an hour with Slogan and was delusional...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Thr problem was he tried to barrel through sexton when he had no need to. I have no issues with players being held up over the line if the defender gets into a good position, but all diack had to do was fall over the line as directed by payne at the time. A truly horrendous decision which summed up our collective inablity to make the right choice under pressure.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Just had breakfast in GM on Newtownards road, food was good but by fûck some of the w@nkers and yummy mummy’s in their skin tight lyric jogging things would put you of your food, I dont want to look at bulging bliffs at that time of the morning, for god sake put a dress code in place .

Eggs Benedict and Ham were to die for, Coffee a bit bitter,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:Just had breakfast in GM on Newtownards road, food was good but by fûck some of the w@nkers and yummy mummy’s in their skin tight lyric jogging things would put you of your food, I dont want to look at bulging bliffs at that time of the morning, for god sake put a dress code in place .

Just had a great breakfast in Zaragoza, melon pineapple, endless coffee, good scrambled eggs and bacon and a clatter of orange juice.

Not a cameltoe to be seen.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Just had breakfast in GM on Newtownards road, food was good but by fûck some of the w@nkers and yummy mummy’s in their skin tight lyric jogging things would put you of your food, I dont want to look at bulging bliffs at that time of the morning, for god sake put a dress code in place .

Just had a great breakfast in Zaragoza, melon pineapple, endless coffee, good scrambled eggs and bacon and a clatter of orange juice.

Not a cameltoe to be seen.
What's the river level like? The whole city was in danger of floods a week or two ago. Last leg of the journey?
Big Neville Southall
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Cockatrice wrote:
Dave wrote:The non try was a symptom of a wider problem he had. He was routinely stopped in the tackle and driven back. It was a real momentum killer. I remember Kieron Marmion dumping him in a tackle down in Galway. I just remember losing any faith I had in him.

pretty sure Steve was drunk that morning or had spent an hour with Slogan and was delusional...
Preceeding it all with the word 'actually' denotes a little bit of surprise for 1F. I do recall Robbie having a nice run of form here and there, usually around contract renewal time maybe this was leading up to one of those.