Stade Ferrero Rocher - Home

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stade Ferrero Rocher - Home

Post by Bart S »

Getting even 10 mins in that game when it was very much in the balance will do mcphillips good. Rea and Timoney will also hugely benefit from their involvement. In fact winning that game with 2 of our young guns in the backrow was particularly pleasing, given the quality of their opposition. Let’s hope we reap the benefits of that longer term.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
9 I literally couldn't disagree with you more, and of course, Ron'n who still clings to the belief that Girrid was unlucky rather than absolutely stupid on that day of infamy, 5/4/2014.

The Stade Rochelais winger did absolutely nothing wrong, effectively he made no attempt to contact Chuck but the angle of Chuck's defensive jump took him into the player's path. He did nothing whatsoever, as harsh a yellow card as you will ever see - mind you I was grateful for it, it opened the door into a game in which we weren't firing a shot.
Terrible post Baggy, make contact with a player in the air and you are adjudged not to be able to contest is a technical yellow, unless player lands on his feet. Charlie did play like superman today but fly he cannot.

You've lost the run of yourself using anything uttered by Ron'n to add weight to an argument in either direction. You really must be sick, wishing you and Mrs T a full and speedy recovery :stir:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:In my book it was a technical yellow but a yellow nonetheless. The La Rochelle player was stupid enough to give the referee a decision to make and with the help of the crowd Barnes duly obliged.

How we got away without a prop in the bin for a team penalty I'll never know. There were certainly enough scrum penalties conceded and dominance evident by La Rochelle to merit it.

I just wonder does the lack of a lump in the second row contribute to our scrum wows. Having said that I watched thon tighthead Antonio and for all the destruction he may have caused at scrum time he offered absolutely nothing away from set piece. He mostly stood in the same spot and only moved for a scrum or lineout. A contributing factor to a La Rochelles loss perhaps within the bigger picture. We were most certainly the busier side, difficult to play against with only 14 men contributing at all times.
9 I literally couldn't disagree with you more, and of course, Ron'n who still clings to the belief that Girrid was unlucky rather than absolutely stupid on that day of infamy, 5/4/2014.

The Stade Rochelais winger did absolutely nothing wrong, effectively he made no attempt to contact Chuck but the angle of Chuck's defensive jump took him into the player's path. He did nothing whatsoever, as harsh a yellow card as you will ever see - mind you I was grateful for it, it opened the door into a game in which we weren't firing a shot.

On the other hand, Cave's neat footwork with the loose ball to put Timoney in when the game threatened to get away again was deft and had Zebo done it, there would have been loud cheers and tobacco spits from the populace.

Watching from my deathbed, it strikes me the clarity you get when watching on the bax. Tommy frae Comber must be a feckin' expert.
Have to concur with Mr Trousers (get well soon)on this one.
I don't know what else the wing was supposed to do.
Game swung a bit on that.
They lost momentum from the early onslaught and we scored showing they weren't infallible.
I am reluctant to say the game hinged on that decision as when you are fighting and scrapping for everything you earn your reward.
Further difference was we kept our heads and did the right things at the right time whilst the French were looking for off loads and forcing play.
Cave particularly really settled things down when he came on also Cooney Best and Hendy led very well.
Also bringing CP in the game made a change.

At least we all know that we aren't as bad as we thought we were but clearly now putting all our eggs in one basket with the erc.
Paul O'connell said that you can only emotionally peak in performances about 4 times a season and it's obvious our side know that as we have been coasting with this game in mind.
We can see our season coming down to 4 games in the etc accompanied with usual dross in the pro 14 from now.
The best teams can do it week on week but we know our limits.

Lets take the win and lap it up for a change!
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Bart S wrote:Getting even 10 mins in that game when it was very much in the balance will do mcphillips good. Rea and Timoney will also hugely benefit from their involvement. In fact winning that game with 2 of our young guns in the backrow was particularly pleasing, given the quality of their opposition. Let’s hope we reap the benefits of that longer term.
That too Bart very pleased we have now twigged on when you give these guys a go it reaps dividends.
Break glass options no more please.
Inspector Brown
Novice

Post by Inspector Brown »

Liz Fraser wrote: Paul O'connell said that you can only emotionally peak in performances about 4 times a season and it's obvious our side know that as we have been coasting with this game in mind.
We can see our season coming down to 4 games in the etc accompanied with usual dross in the pro 14 from now.
The best teams can do it week on week but we know our limits.

Lets take the win and lap it up for a change!
Rule 1 never disagree with POC
Rule 2 always enjoy a win

However, the vast chasm of a gap between the levels is such that the abject shyte pumped out for the last month means that questions remain.
This wasn't a case of Ulster finding a higher gear for the big game, they found a new engine and gearbox.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Liz Fraser wrote:
Bart S wrote:Getting even 10 mins in that game when it was very much in the balance will do mcphillips good. Rea and Timoney will also hugely benefit from their involvement. In fact winning that game with 2 of our young guns in the backrow was particularly pleasing, given the quality of their opposition. Let’s hope we reap the benefits of that longer term.
That too Bart very pleased we have now twigged on when you give these guys a go it reaps dividends.
Couldn't agree more with these two posts. When I saw the team I was worried that we were too light on the back row but Rea and Timoney were really good today both in attack and defence. Their tacking was great and they were regularly getting over the mainline after the first 20 minutes and more so as the game went on. Just goes to show that the young uns need a few games to get up to speed but these guys have really stepped up when they have been given the opportunity. I hope they continue to get opportunities. We could be alright in the back row next year with Jordi coming in and, dare I say it, a fit Coetzee.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

promsandwich wrote:
Liz Fraser wrote:
Couldn't agree more with these two posts. When I saw the team I was worried that we were too light on the back row but Rea and Timoney were really good today both in attack and defence. Their tacking was great and they were regularly getting over the mainline after the first 20 minutes and more so as the game went on. Just goes to show that the young uns need a few games to get up to speed but these guys have really stepped up when they have been given the opportunity. I hope they continue to get opportunities. We could be alright in the back row next year with Jordi coming in and, dare I say it, a fit Coetzee.
No, don't you dare!!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Dave wrote:
promsandwich wrote:
Liz Fraser wrote:
No, don't you dare!!!
I dare >yahoo :salut:
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Cheers Quins. Still up against it next week. Dai Young has just said Europe is over now for them so praying for them to rest a few next week.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

No Haskell which adds to their absentees.
Strange, strange group this.
Quins show up despite being out of it so I'm not going to be giving it the nothing to play for bit, which they did when they no showed at Spanners.
Young will be livid and will demand a performance I would have thought particularly in front of home support.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Wasps won't be up for next week at all. They just lost to Quins. Quins.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Wasps game for a while I thought quins were going to lie down like lambs but from an Ulster point of view a vote of thanks is due to quins .

What wasps will do next week is the question - play for pride or save their ammunition for the Aviva and Internationals considering the effects of the red on the back row and the possible effect of any more cards and injuries will their heart be in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Away yes but teams don't tend to throw a home game.in front of their fans.
Even we don't do that.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy my point on Payne was that the Law was an Ass which lead to Payne being carded ,
My views of the law have not changed - that the game is meant to be played on the ground and a player in the air is guilty of reckless play especially if he jumps towards a player with a rising knee .
As the law is at the moment it was a yellow - the player on the ground played the player in the air .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No, I don't expect they would "throw" the game but they will have a 6 day turn around to there next avivabosh fixture.