Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by Bart S »

A strictly hypothetical one - Which Irish qualified player do you think would make the biggest difference to the current Ulster team/squad?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Furlong
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Gareth Steenson...... playing devils advocate.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Conan......an 8 to get us over the gainline. Perhaps unpopular on this forum, that said despite his age Sexton would be my choice of back.....an actual 10,a leader, would probably tell LK his tactics are brad pitt, and would change them on the pitch, plus he’d give out to any guys not pulling their weight. He’s no nice guy on the pitch, and doesn’t accept losing well.....a characteristic a few ulster players could do with displaying more often.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Sexton would complain about tactics all he likes but unless he came with a magic wand to transform our pack that's all he'd be doing along with losing.

Conan and Stander are good calls but I'm staggered that people can't see the game starts and ends with having a competitive front five.

We don't and haven't had a decent one in case it's escaped people's attention and to suggest any other position to be strengthened as a preference baffles me somewhat.
The likes of Furlong and Healy carry brilliantly as well making them gold dust in rugby terms.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Sexton would complain about tactics all he likes but unless he came with a magic wand to transform our pack that's all he'd be doing along with losing.

Conan and Stander are good calls but I'm staggered that people can't see the game starts and ends with having a competitive front five.

We don't and haven't had a decent one in case it's escaped people's attention and to suggest any other position to be strengthened as a preference baffles me somewhat.
The likes of Furlong and Healy carry brilliantly as well making them gold dust in rugby terms.
The problem there is that there are no areas of the team that can't be improved, yes you need a good front 5, you can win some games with a good front five & middle five to win the game for you with the ball the front five provide.

What is undoubtedly true is that you cannot win games with the best three-quarter line in Europe :roll: if you have a crap front 5.

I hope Bryn has a magic wand because right now we have some 4/5 great players on the wrong side of the hill, NIQs, most of whom report sick often, a load of decent but not top class players, Chaz for a few more months, then Hendy, Louis and Stockcube, Cooney at a pinch who has done well by dint of not being p. You have a 10 who is not a 10 & will soon be gone, two young gentlemen missing, Throw in a DOR who couldn't pick his nose and it's all looking like it could die on its feet.

Still, I'll soon be supporting Real Madrid and forget about rugby, Ulster dead in the water after Nucibast'ardfora refused to throw the lifebelt, Ireland dead to me, the SDC a dull reflection in a dusty mirror of the tournament the Lionels and Frere Grenouille ruined and who cares about the bladdy RWC? Who knows, maybe the Pro20 will come to a Spanish city near me. :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

We bought the wrong Charlie, instead of Charles Piutau we should have got Charlie Faumuina but then maybe Faumuina ain't with Esportif
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Is it possible for Ulster to fight on two fronts, or should they concentrate on the pro 14?

Any details from the A side vs the pirates?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
connachtfan
Novice

Post by connachtfan »

muscles wrote:We are sadly getting used to expectations being dashed year after year. What would you guys like to see happen on and off the field this season that might represent the start of a realistic upward curve?
The main problem you boys have is this expectation nonsense you keep banging on about. You need to start thinking like a Connachtman, never expect anything and you'll never be dissapointed and I must say it's really great.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

connachtfan wrote:
muscles wrote:We are sadly getting used to expectations being dashed year after year. What would you guys like to see happen on and off the field this season that might represent the start of a realistic upward curve?
The main problem you boys have is this expectation nonsense you keep banging on about. You need to start thinking like a Connachtman, never expect anything and you'll never be dissapointed and I must say it's really great.
I try that - but every so often we get a small run of success and I get my hopes up even though logic tells me I shouldn't :lol: :banghead: :lol: :banghead:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

connachtfan wrote:
Would you send that in an email to our CEO, bring him back to earth with his expectations
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

ADM wrote:A disappointing weekend in La Rochelle for Ulster - fire us through some listener questions for tomorrow's podcast that you want us to discuss!

Bart and Kanbei we like your Academy questions so they will be answered this week!
Enjoyed the most recent episode, keep it up. One query is that while listening in the car it only plays over one speaker. Is this an issue with the sound encoding or how it is recorded? I have heard of this before as a problem with some podcasts.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Can we discuss
1. how Not to get into an arm wrestle against bigger packs
2. How to have a back three with a canon of a left / right boot on each of the wings for long clearances to relieve pressure.
3. How that means Tommy & Glu should not feature on these occasions due to being s**te with the boot. (As great servants of UR I’ll not add)

Thx
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
ADM
Initiate

Post by ADM »

Here we go all, Episode Six is up and available HERE!

This week we discuss errors from Ulster in La Rochelle, Levani Botia's legs, why it doesn't get any easier this week, the Junior Cup quarter-finals and we answer four listener questions!

Don't forget, we are available on iTunes and Soundcloud.

Feedback is appreciated as always!
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Still waiting for someone to ask why FOLK is Ulster's DOR when it's clearly obvious he hasn't a scooby what he's doing. He's chased players away and is continuing to do so.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.