Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by ADM »

Episode Five is now available, and it can be accessed HERE!

This week we discuss stinging the Wasps, preparing for the brutes of La Rochelle, a big week of Senior Cup quarter-final action, what Ulster's next move with Marcell Coetzee is and how long a certain Director of Rugby is under contract for...

Also this week you can win some signed Ulster Rugby merchandise by going to the Belfast Telegraph Sport page and liking and sharing the podcast post. But you'll have to listen to the podcast itself to find out what you could win >EW

We are also available on Soundcloud and iTunes, simply search for Ulster Rugby Round-Up and the episode will be there, along with previous episodes as well.

Enjoy, and keep the feedback coming!
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Thanks Adam. Enjoyed listening to this so well done to you and the other guys. And congrats on answering the Less Kiss contract question when no-one else seemed to know!

It would be nice to have a feature with one of the new coaches about how they are finding life at Ulster and also one at some stage with Kieran Campbell about the Academy and what we are doing to try to increase the amount of home grown talent which comes through and goes on to be successful for Ulster.
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Adding to the Academy question, would like to know what the panel think about Henderson being the only internationally capped forward that the Academy has produced in the last 10 years or so.

I know the current crop is looking promising but still a massive failure on Ulster's part and would say it's the main reason we are currently in the situation we are i.e. relying on foreign imports rather than them supplementing what is already here.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

couldn't find the Kiss contract answer can anyone oblige...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

End of next season. Its at the very end.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I can see what will happen. He's about to be sacked then wins the post-season baabaas super grand finale. Five year contract signed.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ADM
Initiate

Post by ADM »

A disappointing weekend in La Rochelle for Ulster - fire us through some listener questions for tomorrow's podcast that you want us to discuss!

Bart and Kanbei we like your Academy questions so they will be answered this week!
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Alex Codling doing good things at Ealing, did he leave or was he pushed?
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

scrum5 wrote:Alex Codling doing good things at Ealing, did he leave or was he pushed?
Couldn't work under Kiss

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
muscles
Novice

Post by muscles »

We are sadly getting used to expectations being dashed year after year. What would you guys like to see happen on and off the field this season that might represent the start of a realistic upward curve?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

muscles wrote:We are sadly getting used to expectations being dashed year after year. What would you guys like to see happen on and off the field this season that might represent the start of a realistic upward curve?
We have been treading water since Anscombes last season.
Muller Court and Afoa were not replaced and as a result we always creaked up front when the pressure came on

Poor tactics and selection haven't helped.
Attack wise we look exhilarating at times through individualism but look clueless against a set defence, with a lack of ball carriers in the side though Cotzees injury has cost us massively.

Defensively by contrast we look so easy to break down and I'm not too sure what system we play at times.
Don't think the players do either.

Expectancy levels are not great, we are what we are, a reasonably good pro14 side at home carried by individual talent amongst a team.of average Joes.

Leinster has certainly showed how a teams talent can be maximised through good coaching to create competitive intensity within their squad.
However they have 3 British Lions in the front row alone which are nice foundations to build upon for any side along with carriers galore.

I just think in terms of an upward curve until we unearth or buy some class in the front five and pack we will always have a soft look about us.
In the meantime it will be the same as, out of Europe at the group stage but threaten the league play offs until the crunch comes and we come up short lacking players with the mental and physical strength to front up when it matters.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
scrum5 wrote:Alex Codling doing good things at Ealing, did he leave or was he pushed?
Couldn't work under Kiss

Couldn't eat sandwiches under Allen Clarke.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Guys, before the season started we looked forward to seeing this team start - even just once

Payne, Trimble, Cave, Olding, Piutau, Jackson, Cooney, Van der Merve/Diddies, Rory, Herbst/Kane, Bustedcock, Tredders, Deysel, Henry/Reidy, Coetzee

Of that 15, 4 may never play for Ulster again, the captain was broken in a box-ticking exercise, Last years captain is in horrible form, 2 props have yet to play a minute, and the eejit picking the team has gone back to using the lottery machine left behind by Doakie.

We have not had our sorrows to seek. With Ulster why does it always seem to be the big players who get damaged?

Adam, perhaps you might like to discuss what are reasonable expectations in light of the above.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Guys, before the season started we looked forward to seeing this team start - even just once

Payne, Trimble, Cave, Olding, Piutau, Jackson, Cooney, Van der Merve/Diddies, Rory, Herbst/Kane, Bustedcock, Tredders, Deysel, Henry/Reidy, Coetzee

Of that 15, 4 may never play for Ulster again, the captain was broken in a box-ticking exercise, Last years captain is in horrible form, 2 props have yet to play a minute, and the eejit picking the team has gone back to using the lottery machine left behind by Doakie.

We have not had our sorrows to seek. With Ulster why does it always seem to be the big players who get damaged?

Adam, perhaps you might like to discuss what are reasonable expectations in light of the above.
What did hendooooo do to you?

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Guys, before the season started we looked forward to seeing this team start - even just once

What did hendooooo do to you?

Who says we don't have strength in depth :lol: