Nevin Spence: Always With Us

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

davejohnston
Initiate

Re: Nevin Spence: Always With Us

Post by davejohnston »

Was just thinking about this today. The doc brings it back - just 22, was a terrible thing.
No matter how much we bitch and moan about Ulster et al, this brings it all back into focus.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:I'll never forget his try in Bath where he hit the ground with a faceplant and then somersaulted.
Memorable Rooster, but my favourite was the one he scored at Dragons when he took the ball on the burst, scorched through the defence then beat three Dragons into the corner. Jackie used to have it playing on his posts, I used to watch it 4/5 times.

Bring it back JB. >EW
It is in this one as are all of his televised trys
http://uafc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15068
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Haha, would love too, but it was killing the dial up connections west of the Bann

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

This tragedy occurred just as I was starting to be introduced to UR so I never saw Nevin play. What a talent he clearly was, as well as being a good friend and a beloved family member.

The only minor consolation is that it couldn't have been handled better by all concerned and Emma is certainly an inspirational lady.

We lost my other half's uncle on the farm on Christmas Eve 2015 and her Da is lucky to be around from a previous incident.

I could be wrong but we don't seem to have as many of these awful incidents over here. I read about the lady in Armagh last week. Can more be done to prevent these accidents in NI?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:I'll never forget his try in Bath where he hit the ground with a faceplant and then somersaulted.
Memorable Rooster, but my favourite was the one he scored at Dragons when he took the ball on the burst, scorched through the defence then beat three Dragons into the corner. Jackie used to have it playing on his posts, I used to watch it 4/5 times.

Bring it back JB. >EW
Aye it's there a 1min 37. Bullied them in their droves. :cheers:

Recovered this off Bakebook, shows a bit more of it, pace, power & determination, that was Nev.https://www.facebook.com/ulsterrugby/vi ... 802774982/

Just watched the documentary, very well done. For all we spout about Ulster at times, in respect of Nevin his dad Noel & brother Graeme Ulster seem to have got just about everything right.

Well done indeed to those who put that together. >appl

Clearly, I don't share Emma's beliefs and hopes, but she is a wonderful young lady who is a credit to and an excellent spokesperson for the family and well, I just love her painting of Nevin, there is such life and energy in it. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote:This tragedy occurred just as I was starting to be introduced to UR so I never saw Nevin play. What a talent he clearly was, as well as being a good friend and a beloved family member.

The only minor consolation is that it couldn't have been handled better by all concerned and Emma is certainly an inspirational lady.

We lost my other half's uncle on the farm on Christmas Eve 2015 and her Da is lucky to be around from a previous incident.

I could be wrong but we don't seem to have as many of these awful incidents over here. I read about the lady in Armagh last week. Can more be done to prevent these accidents in NI?
Probably just that we're a very rural economy here Justin, with a lot of small family farms, and a greater potential for accidents.

It all seems a bit surreal looking back.

RIP Nev :salut:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

justinr73 wrote:This tragedy occurred just as I was starting to be introduced to UR so I never saw Nevin play. What a talent he clearly was, as well as being a good friend and a beloved family member.

Sadly not a lot can be done and it is no different anywhere else in the world, slurry gases kill, monitors are pretty useless as they trigger too easily at below dangerous levels to actually be much use. Cows run over people, that lady who died went to save her husband who got knocked over and the cow hit her, she has bred cattle for almost 40 years and knew how to handle them and the dangers.
Kids get knocked down by machinery as do adults, the vast majority of equipment has a lot of blind spots if reversing.
Education about dangers is as good as it gets but a lot of work is weather dependent and corners get cut and risks taken, sadly it will never change.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:

Probably just that we're a very rural economy here Justin, with a lot of small family farms, and a greater potential for accidents.

It all seems a bit surreal looking back.

RIP Nev :salut:
Rural community, small community. They happen in England too though :(

IIRC a former Northampton player was killed a few weeks after the Spences.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Bring it back JB. >EW
Aye it's there a 1min 37. Bullied them in their droves. :cheers:

Recovered this off Bakebook, shows a bit more of it, pace, power & determination, that was Nev.https://www.facebook.com/ulsterrugby/vi ... 802774982/

Just watched the documentary, very well done. For all we spout about Ulster at times, in respect of Nevin his dad Noel & brother Graeme Ulster seem to have got just about everything right.

Well done indeed to those who put that together. >appl

Clearly, I don't share Emma's beliefs and hopes, but she is a wonderful young lady who is a credit to and an excellent spokesperson for the family and well, I just love her painting of Nevin, there is such life and energy in it. :thumleft:
Agreed on Emma Spence, she came so close to death herself that day so I have nothing but admiration for her strength and for being able to be the voice of the Spence family since that awful day.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Im not sure i can watch this documentary

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Russ wrote:Im not sure i can watch this documentary

Don't tell me you've got yourself banned from YouTube now too!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Tell him Russ.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Favourite Nev Spence moment was not any of his Tries ironically, rather his mullering of Chris Robshaw in the preseason again 'Quins just before that fateful season. Pure levelled him. What a hit.
One thing Ulster does seem to be able to do is consistently churn out international standard centres and wingers, and its given me pause to ponder how good he would've been now @ what 27 or so?- would Ireland have needed Payne at 13 post BOD? Nope.
Carberry would be third choice in all honesty.
Exterminate all rational thought
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Tell him Russ.
BR wrote:

Not the thread for this kind of banter

RIP Nev

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Russ wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Tell him Russ.
BR wrote:

Not the thread for this kind of banter

RIP Nev
Nevin would probably laugh at the banter .... but perhaps best to keep it on topic :thumleft:

My overriding memory of him is not any of his tries or hits, it's simply his big beaming smile and his infectious laughter.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right