Piutau to Bristol

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jamsodonnell
Novice

Re: Piutau to Bristol

Post by jamsodonnell »

scrum5 wrote:Putting aside the IRFU for a moment and needing their approval for all contracts but the reported £500k Charlie was on could have probably got you Eben Etzebeth or David Pocock
Piutau had a two year contract. It was obvious it wouldn't be extended by us or indeed him. I think that he lit up Kingspan on many occasions and was usually a delight to watch. Was he exactly what we needed, well probably not, but I for one enjoyed him being here. To say that we could have got Etzebeth or Pocock is nonsense and symptomatic of a gross misunderstanding of the belief that all players from all countries are available to Ulster. I imagine that Bryn and especially his connections with Esportif scour the world for the few worthwhile players who are available. A list of players for two years hence will already be made and tentative plans set.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Tender wrote:We still see you Shan. Trot along now and see if you can't get yer jollies where you haven't been unveiled.
I won't waste my time ignoring you.
:lol: :lol:

I like being entertained for free.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Gary wrote:Shan, I agree he was a waste of space...only finished our top try scorer and the league's player of the season. We needed somebody better than that. :roll:
League player of the season. Feck he must be brill. :D

OK I overegged it by saying waste of space Gary. The time of my post may explain the reason behind that. I think "Againstthehead" made a good point.....probably a lot better than the one I attempted to make.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jamsodonnell wrote:
scrum5 wrote:Putting aside the IRFU for a moment and needing their approval for all contracts but the reported £500k Charlie was on could have probably got you Eben Etzebeth or David Pocock
Piutau had a two year contract. It was obvious it wouldn't be extended by us or indeed him. I think that he lit up Kingspan on many occasions and was usually a delight to watch. Was he exactly what we needed, well probably not, but I for one enjoyed him being here. To say that we could have got Etzebeth or Pocock is nonsense and symptomatic of a gross misunderstanding of the belief that all players from all countries are available to Ulster. I imagine that Bryn and especially his connections with Esportif scour the world for the few worthwhile players who are available. A list of players for two years hence will already be made and tentative plans set.
The major problem is not the cost or availability of any player but the requirement of them needing to be signed off by Dublin and that ballicks Nuckibollocks
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

jamsodonnell wrote:
Shouldn't have named players but the money would have been better spent on a top quality 2nd row or back row player...I agree Charlie at times was a joy to watch not just his silky skills but the sheer brutality of his hits on opposition players be it going forward or in defence, I wish him well this season and in seasons to come...as a side note you'd have to wonder why Nucifora allowed this signing in the 1st place....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Who reported £500K? :shock:

Last report I saw was a piffling £400K :lol:

Having said that, I think I will now report it as £600K (although I could be wrong) >EW

Still, it can now be said that he was on a reported £600K. :D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Having said that, I think I will now report it as £600K (although I could be wrong) >EW

apologies it was reported as 700k Euros :duh:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/u ... 06973.html
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If he's getting paid in euros, he'll be minted. If not, still minted.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Still a season left lads. Lets see how he does this one?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote:
Shan wrote:
scrum5 wrote:I and many others said it before he signed and I still feel the same, he is a luxury player that we could not afford....

Yet again Scrum you prove you are one of the few people who actually know what is what. This guy is not what Ulster need. He is a guy who added into a top team has licence to perform a few thrills to energise the folk who want to be entertained. That is of no use to an average team like Ulster who need committed players rather than showmen. This chap cost Ulster at least a couple of wins last season because of his belief that players like he do not have to work for the team.

If I was an Ulsterman my only annoyance would be that an even weaker team than mine could not have this player's services for this coming season.
I agree he's not what Ulster need but not for the reasons you have spouted. Ulster need ball-carriers and have done for as long as I remember. We struggle to get across the gainline and are consequently easy to defend against. I'd probably use all the NIQs as forwards if I could get away with it. Home-grown backs are pretty much good enough - well apart from 9 but even a crappy 9 might be okay behind a kick-ass pack.
Agen, we really must find something to fight about because, again, we are in complete agreement. I'd go as far as to say that I would do ok behind a pack like that.

Remind me, how does the old saw go? Oh yes, forwards win games. truer than a very true thing, and it remains what I cling to in the forthcoming omnishambolic season, the vague hope that Gibbes will turn players like Herbst, Rodders, Warwick, Kane, Hond, Busted Cack, 2MP, Tredders FFFS even saft Bob and what looks a potentially outstanding back row into winners.

There is nothing in rugby I like better than watching a good pack bully the opposition, it's been an absolute rarity in recent years at Camp Spanners.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:
jamsodonnell wrote:
Shouldn't have named players but the money would have been better spent on a top quality 2nd row or back row player...I agree Charlie at times was a joy to watch not just his silky skills but the sheer brutality of his hits on opposition players be it going forward or in defence, I wish him well this season and in seasons to come...as a side note you'd have to wonder why Nucifora allowed this signing in the 1st place....
Never apologise Scrumptious it's a sign of weakness. >EW

I have to say that whilst I accept that Charless is a monstrously talented player, overall, I have found him frustrating and that for me he hasn't really added much to the results, too keen at times to demonstrate his talent at the expense of the team, fallible also in key skill areas where you just don't expect it from All Blacks.

I wanted erotic passing ...........got erratic
Wanted a great boot ..............got clownshoes
Wanted a man like Darren Cave who always takes correct decisions ............ got a showboat

Good to have seen some of his best moments, not enough for my money, never mind the FIRFU's.

The most memorable moment has been immortalised by the camera, when simply by extending his palm a player self-propelled into touch ...........that's magic.

What all should consider when disparaging him in any way, me included, is that not only was he the Ulster Player of the Year but the Pro12 Player's Player of the year.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

scrum5 wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

apologies it was reported as 700k Euros :duh:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/u ... 06973.html
Never apologise Scrumptious it's a sign of weakness. >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Charlie dabbed in that season ticket video. Hope he went to hosptial to get checked out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:Charlie dabbed in that season ticket video. Hope he went to hosptial to get checked out

Dabbing on the haters
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:Charlie dabbed in that season ticket video. Hope he went to hosptial to get checked out

Dabbing on the haters
The haters now dab back