Big Merv's nature watch.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:Greater Spotted Woodpecker in Morland's Meadow down at the towpath. An interesting spot - supposedly no woodpeckers in Ireland since the last ice age until about 2004/05.

About the size of a thrush and looks like this (not my photo). You'll hear him before you see him.

:thumleft: :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:A Horseshoe Whipsnake crossed my path this morning down at the beach. First time I've ever seen a live snake in Spain :thumleft:
Not dangerous to humans.

Also found €5 so a good day so far.
From memory, there are 13 different types of serpent in Spain Merv, 5 poisonous but none very serious, unless you are very young, very old or in shambolic health, then they can be fatal but usually just bloody painful and in need of medical attention. There are however on average 3-6 deaths from snake bite a year in Spain, mainly upt'nawth and in the Pyrenees.

Interestingly we also have black widow spiders, though again, despite the fearsome reputation, seldom fatal.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Was at Chinnor v Bishop's Stortford on Saturday. We lost by 2 in a thriller but are still 7 points up with 3 to play to get into National League 1.

Only time I took my eye off the game (I sent the fiancée to the bar throughout) was when a few red kites stopped by to watch the match for a while. They were absolutely stunning.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:
They'll not be missed. Vermin.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:
The Greys are too large to get out on the end of branches like the reds can, and spend more time on the ground. Thus they are easier pickings for the martins. Mother nature at her best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jean valjean wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
The Greys are too large to get out on the end of branches like the reds can, and spend more time on the ground. Thus they are easier pickings for the martins. Mother nature at her best.

They are also pretty easy to splatter with the .223 :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Wasps, the non white Anglo Saxon ones.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Wasps, the non white Anglo Saxon ones.
Have been seeing occasional wasps all winter. Unbelievably mild, really.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

I watched a nature program on BBC2 the other weekend, some guy in a boat on the West coast, anyway, among different things covered, he mentioned the return of Pine Martins and the positive effect this had on the red squirrel population and the negative effect on the grey squirrel population.
Indigenous creatures, for once, benefitting at the expense of non indigenous Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Samstew wrote:
I watched a nature program on BBC2 the other weekend, some guy in a boat on the West coast, anyway, among different things covered, he mentioned the return of Pine Martins and the positive effect this had on the red squirrel population and the negative effect on the grey squirrel population.
Indigenous creatures, for once, benefitting at the expense of non indigenous Image

Interesting as I checked it out and remembered we used to have pine martins and red squirrels years ago, like early 70's then the pine Martins and reds vanished and grey tree rats as I call them appeared. The pine martins are back and the greys have gone so here is hoping the wee reds appear again.
By the way a pine martin is an indigenous animal in Ireland , though they did get almost wiped out.
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

My own anecdotal evidence would point to a significant decline in greys in S Belfast over the past few years. Not seen any reds mind.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:My own anecdotal evidence would point to a significant decline in greys in S Belfast over the past few years. Not seen any reds mind.
The reds may need some help to re-establish themselves.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
jean valjean wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

They are also pretty easy to splatter with the .223 :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ah Rooster did I ever tell you you're my favourite animal lover. I'd hate to be a badger around your place. :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
Samstew wrote:

Interesting as I checked it out and remembered we used to have pine martins and red squirrels years ago, like early 70's then the pine Martins and reds vanished and grey tree rats as I call them appeared. The pine martins are back and the greys have gone so here is hoping the wee reds appear again.
By the way a pine martin is an indigenous animal in Ireland , though they did get almost wiped out.
Can't swear to this but I saw Tony Robinson on his coast to coast trip upt'nawth of England chatting to a warden who is looking after a resurgent population of red squirrels. If I recall correctly he said the pine martins, also resurgent, were slaughtering grey squirrels but they had a close link to red squirrels in their DNA and didn't prey on them.