Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

prawnsarnies
Novice

Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Post by prawnsarnies »

Last edited by prawnsarnies on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
prawnsarnies
Novice

Re: Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Post by prawnsarnies »

For anyone who doesn't have a subscription:

RUGBY UNION

Ulster to appoint All Black Gibbes as new head coach

Peter O’Reilly

February 12 2017, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

[http://feeds]

Fresh face: Jono Gibbes is set to be announced at Ulter’s head coachDAN SHERIDAN

Save

Ulster are set to announce Jono Gibbes as their incoming head coach for next season, according to well-placed sources. The 40-year-old former All Black will replaced Neil Doak on a two-year contract, teaming up with director of rugby, Les Kiss.

Currently assistant coach at Clermont Auvergne, Gibbes has strong connections with Irish rugby, having been Leinster’s forwards coach for six seasons between 2008-14.

During that period, they won six trophies: three Heineken Cups, one European Challenge Cup and two Pro12s. He surely comes with Joe Schmidt’s imprimatur, having worked alongside Schmidt for three of those six seasons.

Two years ago, Gibbes signed a contract to stay at Clermont until 2018 but it’s understood he has a release clause in the event of being offered a head coaching role. He was in the running for the top job at Queensland Reds last summer before the Reds appointed ex-Wallaby, Nick Stiles.

The entire make-up of Ulster’s coaching staff for next season is unclear but there are sure to be further changes, as both Doak and assistant coach Allen Clarke are moving on.

Gibbes comes with a decent understanding of the province’s strengths and weaknesses, having prepared Clermont for two Champions Cup pool games this season. He made his debut for New Zealand in 2004, captained the Maori team that beat the British & Irish Lions in 2005 but only won eight caps for the All Blacks.
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Get in!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Really the head coach, or forwards coach, but using the title to allow the get out clause, was he not also linked to the Connacht gig.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Really the head coach, or forwards coach, but using the title to allow the get out clause, was he not also linked to the Connacht gig.
Thanks for the positivity Gerry.
Great move from UR.
Leaves room for Ruan as backs coach! Every week that passes, I'm more convinced that this is going to happen.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Well I think Gibbes is a better choice than the rumoured Hewett
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

So this is good news I take it? No idea about him
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Well I think Gibbes is a better choice than the rumoured Hewett
He has served his time in Europe, it still wanted by the best team in Europe. Experience as a player and coach. What's not to like?
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Top news
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Hmmm. Sounds too good to be true to me.
Gibbs's wouldn't be coming here for the money. So is it the prospect of being the main man, with a shout of the Ireland job after Schmidt leaves? If he was to be coming I'm sure it's with the assurance of a "no interference" policy. Surprised an Eng Prem job wouldn't appeal more.
.....believe it when I see it.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Will you lay off those negative waves?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:Really the head coach, or forwards coach, but using the title to allow the get out clause, was he not also linked to the Connacht gig.
Thanks for the positivity Gerry.
Great move from UR.
Leaves room for Ruan as backs coach! Every week that passes, I'm more convinced that this is going to happen.
For next season? The coach would be better than the players.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Previously lived in Ireland, albeit the shithole part, where they speak a version of his mother tongue, coming in with a DOR who has shown little or no control over his underlings. Sounds too good to be true for a man of ambition. Sound move.

On a practical point of view which has so far gone unstated, who does not remember the soft ladyboys pack before Gibbes went there and they quickly became a Heiny winning pack.

I consider this to be a bloody magnificent piece of news if true. Dave Hewett has a glittering career as a forwards coach also but unlike Gibbes, European rugby & Ireland would be new to him. Gibbes experience would make him the better option of two talented guys in my opinion.

We may in our conjecture & pontification assume that "Head Coach" just helps trigger his get out clause, but I'd be rather surprised if he would come to a failing club from a top outfit merely for a sideways move as forwards coach. I would say he will make his decisions, with Les perhaps but not as an entire underling.

Les also wins, assuming it's true, he is clearly moved one step removed from direct responsibility, rather in the mode of Dr Dave, but able to bask in reflected glory, should such a thing come about.

Best of all, he's not from Lisburn. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Gibbes would be an outstanding acquisition, did some excellent work at Connacht in developing their pool of forwards and seems to have gotten on well at Clermont.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Not sure about the one step removed because is he not coming as Head Coach the same title that Doak had. Obviously we won't need the current Forward Coach on the basis that Gibbs probably know one end of a scrum from the other.. I'm

Elsewhere Not sure why anyone thinks that just because your a good player you automatically become a good coach overnight..

Can't wait to see what happens to the first forward that tells Gibbs 'I know how to jump in a line out go coach someone that isn't an international' because that should be a fun day.

Otherwise sounds like a sound recruitment and some who already knows the internal issues that come with coaching in Aaireland.. If Hewitt was second choice and didn't make/want it it says a lot for the first choice who said no and none of them live in Lisburn.

Well done certainly a step forward..

Anyone think that Stringer would make a good backs coach or that BOD is wasted and would have made a great coach..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU