Lions Tour of NZ 2017

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Re: Lions Tour of NZ 2017

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:It's easy to pick holes in the Lions concept in this day and age, but we have lost a lot from the Corinthian era of rugby The Lions and Barbarians are the last vestiges of the game I fell in love with 40+ years ago. There's something noble about these traditions, admittedly they have been corrupted my filthy lucre, but I'm happy to overlook that in order to maintain that connection with the past.
Snipe anyone other than you I would have suggested they grow the feck up & stop talking ballix.

For you I'll just say, that's interesting, I don't share your fascination for the past, FFS you probably still listen to Elvis & the Beatles (both of whom I loathe to a similar extent to the Lions) and that although I am incredibly old my main interest is the future.

When you say "corrupted by filthy lucre", it only remains in existence because of filthy lucre.

If you seek a noble traditional endeavour might I refer you instead to The Ryder Cup, there is a traditional sporting event where players play for the honour, no cash is exchanged, no huge bonus payments for victory.

All that said, I will doubtless watch the matches hoping, nay expecting, that New Zealand demolishes the Anglo-Welsh combo with the odd token Paddy & maybe even a Scot.

However, Corinthian Spirit my reeking clunge, we are Ulstermen not silver spoon fed chaps from Rugby School, Eton or similar. You've watched Chariots Offiah one too many times. >EW
Ever read Cliff Morgan's autobiog? Best rugby book ever written. Got up in his remote village at about 4 am to make his way on a series of buses across Wales and England to play for the Barbarians in the Midlands that afternoon, arriving just before the kick off. Then the same trip in reverse to get home. The highlight of training night at Cardiff was toasting kippers on a fork in front of an electric fire in the changing room after trotting around the pitch a few times. They had to call Jack Matthews "Dr." mind! Quare times, eh.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Schmidt given green light for the Lions job.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 76625.html
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Schmidt given green light for the Lions job.

Hope so

But if the Lions want to win they will pick Jones or Cotter
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Well that will ruin that tour as a spectacle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Jackie Brown wrote:

only thing this will mean is that Leinster will form the spine of the team…
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cockatrice wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:

only thing this will mean is that Leinster will form the spine of the team…
That would make a change ......they were pretty spineless on Saturday
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Can you imagine a Lions bench of Reddan, Madigan and McFadden for their versatility
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:Can you imagine a Lions bench of Reddan, Madigan and McFadden for their versatility
:lol:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: there is no good reason whatsoever other than money for the perseverance with this ludicrous concept of the Lions.

Árse. There is one other good reason. It reminds the Paddies that they are really British no matter what they think.

Gwan.

>TM >TM >TM
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:Can you imagine a Lions bench of Reddan, Madigan and McFadden for their versatility
Fearsome members of the pride alright.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

These summer tours are a chance for players to really lay claim to a place in the team for the first Test, but how many certainties would you say there are right now?

I can't see anyone looking beyond North or Alun Wyn Jones.

Beyond them, there seems to be plenty of healthy competition but I'd be surprised if Hogg and Billy V don't feature.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

justinr73 wrote:These summer tours are a chance for players to really lay claim to a place in the team for the first Test, but how many certainties would you say there are right now?

Beyond them, there seems to be plenty of healthy competition but I'd be surprised if Hogg and Billy V don't feature.
I fully expect Wyn Jones to captain the Lions and rightly so. Great player and a leader of men.
Hogg is a fantastic player, but is he better than Payne, Brown and Halfpenny? He is a shining light is a fairly dull Scotland team, but put him into strong company and he doesn't look so special. I think he is fast and skillful, but not particularly an intelligent rugby player or a team player. Fullback is a strong area.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

AWJ and Itoje with Hendoooo
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Snipe Watson wrote:
justinr73 wrote:These summer tours are a chance for players to really lay claim to a place in the team for the first Test, but how many certainties would you say there are right now?

I fully expect Wyn Jones to captain the Lions and rightly so. Great player and a leader of men.
Hogg is a fantastic player, but is he better than Payne, Brown and Halfpenny? He is a shining light is a fairly dull Scotland team, but put him into strong company and he doesn't look so special. I think he is fast and skillful, but not particularly an intelligent rugby player or a team player. Fullback is a strong area.
Agree about AWJ.

Given a season at 15, Payne could make the side but he's got some catching up to do. Same with 1/2p, especially if Farrell plays. Brown needs to take a look at what Israel Folau was doing yesterday. There should be a bit of space to run in to in New Zealand and I reckon Hogg has every chance.

Murray must have given the selectors a decent nudge with his performance in Cape Town.

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

I read that the decision re the coach is being made after the summer tests. Gatland again? Maybe JS or neither of them - Mr Jones perhaps

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk