Are we headed for dark times??

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Are we headed for dark times??

Post by BR »

I'm pleased that the URSC is able to make (albeit modest) contributions to various parts of the game (iirc this has included tackle bags and analysis software in the past). The fact that they can be tailored to an individual case is what makes them useful imho.

Nothing more frustrating for an individual or organisation than falling between two inflexible funding stools.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

How does the £10k Fair play bonus get spent within the Academy? Is the money ringfenced for additional resources or does it simply subsdidise the existing budget.

We have been the recipient/joint recipient of this in the past and after a remarkable turnaround, may be again this season.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:How does the £10k Fair play bonus get spent within the Academy? Is the money ringfenced for additional resources or does it simply subsdidise the existing budget.

We have been the recipient/joint recipient of this in the past and after a remarkable turnaround, may be again this season.
That is a very good question, Merv. You would think that the league and /or the sponsor would like to know how it was spent as they have specified that is for Academy use and not just into general funds (ie by the winning team reducing their academy budget by the same amount). Do the league hold that prize accountable? If so, how easy is it to fiddle?

Would the academy coaches start squealing if the money didn't come to them?

Are we entitled to know the answer to any of these questions. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

Once a Knight wrote:I am with Kofi on this. The women's game actually requires sime of them to make greater personal and career sacrifices. There is no professional career ahead of them, yet the training required to break into the representative levels is significant. Girls at Ulster are now being pushed and have a pathway, yet the level of funding and support remains modest. Heavily reliant on them making sacrifices in their everyday lives to train professionally. The only amateur part of it is that they don't get paid to do it.
Well said.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:I am with Kofi on this. The women's game actually requires sime of them to make greater personal and career sacrifices. There is no professional career ahead of them, yet the training required to break into the representative levels is significant. Girls at Ulster are now being pushed and have a pathway, yet the level of funding and support remains modest. Heavily reliant on them making sacrifices in their everyday lives to train professionally. The only amateur part of it is that they don't get paid to do it.
Virtually every sport in its infancy is the same. The privilege of representing one's country or can be massively expensive in terms of time and money. That's the way it is. I would suggest that this makes the women's game more deserving of support that the men's game which has a massive money making industry behind it. An industry we already support with our ticket money.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

At the risk of annoying friends, if someone has funds to provide for the women's game fine, help them out. I am also more than happy for URSC to provide any funds they may be able to & on whatever basis they wish, but I tell you this:

I LOATHE ANY FALSE IDEA THAT THERE SHOULD BE EQUALITY IN RESPECT OF HOW ORGANISATIONS LIKE URSC SHOULD CONTRIBUTE TO MENS & WOMENS RUGBY.

There is no sense in which they are remotely equal................furthermore I don't care, I just don't, no interest in it whatsoever.

Sorry ladies .............oh yeah, and sorry for SHOUTING. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Captains argument is that because they are just amateur they are not equal . .I Assume that does not include the ladies on full time central contracts.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:Captains argument is that because they are just amateur they are not equal . .I Assume that does not include the ladies on full time central contracts.
We have ladies on central contracts????? Really? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I thought they were just for Ladyboys.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Captains argument is that because they are just amateur they are not equal . .I Assume that does not include the ladies on full time central contracts.
We have ladies on central contracts????? Really? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I thought they were just for Ladyboys.
Yes , probably on not a lot , so I am sure the Ulster ones living in digs in Dublin would appreciate some help, but then their just amateur according to the good Captain, never gave up a lot to pursue their chance at being professional , anyway he shattered my illusions , I thought he knew everything.
The women's game is in essence amateur, but some of these young women (especially in Ulster) give up a lot to follow their sport and that has implications on careers, income and much mucH more
Inaccurate and disrespectful
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

No offence OAK but I resent that, for the simple fact that they are no different from the men in the not so distant amateur era.

If there is demand then there will be revenue streams to tap into but to receive this is a bonus.

I never once felt the hours I put in as a player a sacrifice, I was dedicated to my sport, but would never have sacrificed my career to an amateur sport if it was at the detriment to the benefit of others i.e family / dependents. That's just selfish.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

What did I say? Post removed? WTF is going on? It as even pro-ladies. :shock: :shock: :shock:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Modern professional sport has become a product and womens rugby /football are not a great draw in terms of attendances.
If someone wants to pay them that is their prerogative and good luck to them but I just don`t see what is to gain from it in a financial sense.

However just because they are women per say does not entitle them to be paid any more than the GAA players or Rugby players of yesteryear.
Certainly womens rugby is nowhere the draw of either of those sports in terms of popularity or sponsorship and until it is I would find it hard to justify paying those players any more than any other amateur dedicated to their sport.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Does he mean me? :shock:

Capn's "argument" was nothing of the sort - either an argument or any suggestion about equality.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Kofi Annan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Yes , probably on not a lot , so I am sure the Ulster ones living in digs in Dublin would appreciate some help, but then their just amateur according to the good Captain, never (?????) gave up a lot to pursue their chance at being professional , anyway he shattered my illusions , I thought he knew everything.
The women's game is in essence amateur, but some of these young women (especially in Ulster) give up a lot to follow their sport and that has implications on careers, income and much mucH more
Inaccurate and disrespectful
You've lost it Kofi! :shock:

If you read again, I think you will find that I was agreeing with you. How much clearer could I have put it that they DO give up a lot?

Or do YOU suggest that these women are NOT giving up a lot to follow their sport, and there are NO implications on their careers, etc? :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

bazzaj wrote:Modern professional sport has become a product and womens rugby /football are not a great draw in terms of attendances.
If someone wants to pay them that is their prerogative and good luck to them but I just don`t see what is to gain from it in a financial sense.

However just because they are women per say does not entitle them to be paid any more than the GAA players or Rugby players of yesteryear.
Certainly womens rugby is nowhere the draw of either of those sports in terms of popularity or sponsorship and until it is I would find it hard to justify paying those players any more than any other amateur dedicated to their sport.
Bazza

12K turned up last week to watch France Play Ireland