TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by BaggyTrousers »

promsandwich wrote:Here's how I see it:

1. Unbelievable/stratospheric signings - Read/Pocock.
2. Absolutely top drawer - Coetzee/Liam Gill.
3. Still pretty good - Siya Kolisi.

Any of 1. or 2. above would be terrific.
Allow me to throw in another consideration. What about term of contract?

Would you be happier with Read or Pocock for 1 season or Liam Gill for 3?

Frankly when folk talk of 1 year deals my mind flies past Gay Paris down past the Loire Valleyover the hills of Perigord past Toulouse and damn nearly as far as Spain. There with a background of the Pair of Knees, lies lovely wee Perpignan.

Then I see Dan Carter shrugging his shoulders after 5 games and that boys and girls, was all she wrote. Finished, €1M down the fallopians.

Give me Liam Gill for 3 years in preference to Read for one & Read would be an absolute maximum of one season.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UR13IRFU wrote:Or the guy who helps oversee the finances/contracts at Ravenhill ;)
If what you say is true then strike Marcell Coetzee off the list
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Rooster wrote:
UR13IRFU wrote:Or the guy who helps oversee the finances/contracts at Ravenhill ;)
True, true. What UR13IRFU has ignored is the oft repeated rumour that if the signing is announced before the player wishes it to be then said contract is terminated.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
promsandwich wrote:Here's how I see it:

1. Unbelievable/stratospheric signings - Read/Pocock.
2. Absolutely top drawer - Coetzee/Liam Gill.
3. Still pretty good - Siya Kolisi.

Any of 1. or 2. above would be terrific.
Allow me to throw in another consideration. What about term of contract?

Would you be happier with Read or Pocock for 1 season or Liam Gill for 3?

Frankly when folk talk of 1 year deals my mind flies past Gay Paris down past the Loire Valleyover the hills of Perigord past Toulouse and damn nearly as far as Spain. There with a background of the Pair of Knees, lies lovely wee Perpignan.

Then I see Dan Carter shrugging his shoulders after 5 games and that boys and girls, was all she wrote. Finished, €1M down the fallopians.

Give me Liam Gill for 3 years in preference to Read for one & Read would be an absolute maximum of one season.
It's a very difficult question Baggy. I would sway towards the younger player on a longer contract. It always strikes me that that implies that the player really wants to come, perhaps more than the 30 year old or so who is perceived, rightly or wrongly, to be coming for the cash. No logic behind that gut instinct but that would be my feeling.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

promsandwich wrote:
Rooster wrote:
True, true. What UR13IRFU has ignored is the oft repeated rumour that if the signing is announced before the player wishes it to be then said contract is terminated.
He also ignored the fact that his tout now knows who he is on here :lol: :lol: :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

This place is chaos.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Some newbies or lurkers or even BBC and BT reporters may be asking - if you don't know someone who knows someone who has a mate who works 'high up' in UR ... what is the most effective way to introduce your candidate to the great unwashed? Well over my time here I’ve put together a few pointers.

Firstly it seems you have to quote someone who uses the word 'definitely' if you don't say the source said "it's definitely..." then basically yer fecked from the get go ...

Next you have to be best mates with and let on you play poker every other Thursday with someone 'high up' at Ulster Rugby it obviously can't be Logie, Les or Bryn as they're not brain dead ... and in all probability wouldn't like you anyway. You can go as low down the food chain as Malone before people say 'who' followed by ‘catch yerself on’ ... many opt for a disillusioned S&C guy. You see S&C guys are usually a good bet as they are unheard of and have a history of being nearly rans who would have been THE next big thing at Ulster only but for an AC injury that rendered them completely shyte when they got over it. S&C guys have loose lips.

Then when you get mocked for saying 'Kolisi' ... instead of saying “OK it’s a fair cop I made it up like the rest of yiz”... best to take the route of folded arms, observable tranquillity and then declare ... "you'll be sorry when Jordi Murphy is announced, don't say I didn't tell you" ... then revert to voodoo and placating as many deities you can think of to at least get a bit of it right.

Lastly without any visible signs of spoofing you have to maintain that your source despite being more treacherous than the Cambridge Spies, so high up in UR who knows definitely who we're signing but will spill the heap to you, still has a job ‘high up’ in UR.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Cornerfleg on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

OneMore wrote:This place is chaos.
Nat a tall. As Russ would say, top bants........whatever that means
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
OneMore wrote:This place is chaos.
Nat a tall. As Russ would say, top bants........whatever that means
One had to look it up. Apparently it's from something called the Inbetweeners and is roughly equivalent of "only slegging, mate".
Ah that explains it.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

I mean it in the best way possible. Pure entertainment. Definitely more entertainment than we had in last week's first half like.

Top bants indeed. Obvs.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Yin, there are forums where people discuss their favourite humming noises for pages and pages that would be more entertaining than the first half last week!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

Cornerfleg wrote:Yin, there are forums where people discuss their favourite humming noises for pages and pages that would be more entertaining than the first half last week!
My favourite is a low volume buzzy hum, D flat.

I have no idea about any signings but I have now allowed my mind to wander and my hopes to rise to Pocock levels.

If all those who are "in the know" are spoofing about the calibre of the signing then I will be crushed. Good luck having that weighing on your consciences!
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

And as you can see UpAtSix has actually registered a 7 on the Pocockometer ...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UpAtSix wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Yin, there are forums where people discuss their favourite humming noises for pages and pages that would be more entertaining than the first half last week!

I have no idea about any signings but I have now allowed my mind to wander and my hopes to rise to Pocock levels.

If all those who are "in the know" are spoofing about the calibre of the signing then I will be crushed. Good luck having that weighing on your consciences!
I don't think anyone is in the know on this signing, but in the absence of anything solid people are trying to build a jigsaw with less than half of the pieces.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:
UpAtSix wrote:

I don't think anyone is in the know on this signing, but in the absence of anything solid people are trying to build a jigsaw with less than half of the pieces.
How many corners do we have?
Cornerfleg wrote:Image

And as you can see UpAtSix has actually registered a 7 on the Pocockometer ...
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk