Lions Tour of NZ 2017

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Lions Tour of NZ 2017

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Lancaster is the perfect sacrificial lamb for this tour.
It's the hope that kills you.
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

At least 40 youngersters going RBAI are touring NZ at this time
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Blow in wrote:At least 40 youngersters going RBAI are touring NZ at this time
Decision made to not go

Only one thing worse than an RBAI kid and that's an RBAI parent
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Good luck to all going, but I'd rather burn my pubic hair to the root and singe my voluminous beg than be involved with Lions arsefoonery, I hope they get facking stuffed. I loathe everything about the Lions.

Time this money making charade was ended. 4 on 1 and they still get cuffed stupid more times than not. :roll: I hate the possible infection of decent Irish lads by lowlife, dwarf throwers, scumbags and suchlike.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Good luck to all going, but I'd rather burn my pubic hair to the root and singe my voluminous beg than be involved with Lions arsefoonery, I hope they get facking stuffed. I loathe everything about the Lions.

Time this money making charade was ended. 4 on 1 and they still get cuffed stupid more times than not. :roll: I hate the possible infection of decent Irish lads by lowlife, dwarf throwers, scumbags and suchlike.
Philistine.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy
The Lions concept is closer to the spirit of Rugby than the Rugby World Cup

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Russ wrote:
Blow in wrote:At least 40 youngersters going RBAI are touring NZ at this time
Decision made to not go

Only one thing worse than an RBAI kid and that's an RBAI parent

:roll:
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

rumncoke wrote:Baggy

Have to say I absolutely love the Lions tours. Never been to one but the scenes look spectacular and it's a pretty unique concept in sport. Yes, it's very commercial but what high-profile sporting occasion isn't. It's fun enough watching the gurning when 10 ulster men men aren't starting for Ireland but it pales into insignificance come Lion selection time!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

The Lions concept is pish. "We" beat a divided Australia fly-halfed by a green wing/centre 3 years ago, solely because of mud under Kurtley Beale's boot at the end of game 1. Home nations don't matter any more, the Lions is simply used as a touring holiday for the uber-wealthy sponsors of the game.

New Zealand will mince them, and would have minced them even if they weren't playing 20 games per fortnight.
It's the hope that kills you.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

It's easy to pick holes in the Lions concept in this day and age, but we have lost a lot from the Corinthian era of rugby The Lions and Barbarians are the last vestiges of the game I fell in love with 40+ years ago. There's something noble about these traditions, admittedly they have been corrupted my filthy lucre, but I'm happy to overlook that in order to maintain that connection with the past.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Snipe Watson wrote:It's easy to pick holes in the Lions concept in this day and age, but we have lost a lot from the Corinthian era of rugby The Lions and Barbarians are the last vestiges of the game I fell in love with 40+ years ago. There's something noble about these traditions, admittedly they have been corrupted my filthy lucre, but I'm happy to overlook that in order to maintain that connection with the past.
I concur. World rugby is being skewed by the filthy rich anyway. South African super rugby sides are going to be decimated with the exit of heaps of their top players leaving the competition hollow. The rugby championship goes on for ages now and has lost it's appeal. French club sides are pilfering the world's resources and the english won't be far behind. 6 Nations is still pretty cool albeit the sides are average at best. The Lions brings something different and it's only every 4 years. If it was every 2 years, then yes, it would be pushing it. They only tour a given country once every 12 years so it stays fresh. The fact that they go out and play the club teams and tour the country is fantastic for the host nation.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

If France had have lost today I think FFR would have lost their brad pitt at the T14
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Baggy

Rum'n if you ever tried paying attention you would know I attach about as much importance to the RWC as I pay to .......... how can I put this so it will mean something to you ............ the hit parade.

However, it is arguable that there is some basis in the modern game for the world cup, there is no good reason whatsoever other than money for the perseverance with this ludicrous concept of the Lions.

When 3 month tours and the best record of them a tome by J G B Thomas or Terry McLean was the norm then Lions tours had currency, now they just make currency.

You've been helped ........yet again.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The Barbarians concept is probably closer still to the "spirit of rugby" but it is also now a pile of brad pitt.

Some of you boys sound like John Major, wistfully dreaming of cycling to evensong and playing a straight bat on the village green.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:It's easy to pick holes in the Lions concept in this day and age, but we have lost a lot from the Corinthian era of rugby The Lions and Barbarians are the last vestiges of the game I fell in love with 40+ years ago. There's something noble about these traditions, admittedly they have been corrupted my filthy lucre, but I'm happy to overlook that in order to maintain that connection with the past.
Snipe anyone other than you I would have suggested they grow the feck up & stop talking ballix.

For you I'll just say, that's interesting, I don't share your fascination for the past, FFS you probably still listen to Elvis & the Beatles (both of whom I loathe to a similar extent to the Lions) and that although I am incredibly old my main interest is the future.

When you say "corrupted by filthy lucre", it only remains in existence because of filthy lucre.

If you seek a noble traditional endeavour might I refer you instead to The Ryder Cup, there is a traditional sporting event where players play for the honour, no cash is exchanged, no huge bonus payments for victory.

All that said, I will doubtless watch the matches hoping, nay expecting, that New Zealand demolishes the Anglo-Welsh combo with the odd token Paddy & maybe even a Scot.

However, Corinthian Spirit my reeking clunge, we are Ulstermen not silver spoon fed chaps from Rugby School, Eton or similar. You've watched Chariots Offiah one too many times. >EW