Schools Cup 2014

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by BR »

So RuPi/Humph incorrect?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Heard this evening the story about the stand as well.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Danske Bank Schools' Cup quarter final results:
RBAI 6 Methodist College 8
Coleraine AI 10 Ballyclare HS 9
Down HS 9 Sullivan Upper 42
Campbell College 10 Wallace HS 12

Danske Bank Schools' Cup semi-final draw:
Methodist College v Wallace HS (Tuesday 4th March)
Sullivan Upper v Coleraine AI (Thursday 6th March)
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
troupe86
Novice

Post by troupe86 »

I heard reports that RBAI were unlucky not to win today. Apparently they were the better team for large parts of the game. A shame for the boys...

Methody will have a tough encounter against Wallace in the semi-final, but I imagine that they'll see themselves in the final already. That was a huge result for Sullivan today against a plucky Down HS; I expect them to win in their semi-final against CAI, although I'm sure that it'll be close enough.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Inst missed 4 penalties.

Sulllivan will be in the final, hard to call who will win the other semi. For entertainments sake id like methody to be in the final, id say it would be a better game with MCB-SU , than SU-WHS. Either way, expect Sullivan to win the cup, imo. Very good team this year
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
troupe86
Novice

Post by troupe86 »

Ah, I've just heard now that they missed 4 penalties. Inexcusable in a sense... If you want to win, you have to take your chances. I agree with the Methody and Sullivan final as well. It'll be explosive if that's the final!

Here's hoping for a Sullivan win for once.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Pretty sure CAI beat Sullivan a month or so ago.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Methody had a bad day at the office compounded by a heavily penalised scrum which afforded them no attacking play. RBAI were given ample opportunity to kill the game from the many penalties the ref awarded them plus Methody played the last period of the game with 14 men after a player was sin binned for a punching an RBAI player. RBAI never looked like scoring a try as Methodys defence was rock solid. I felt sorry for the RBAI 10 as he had no luck on the kicking front but that's cup rugby. Methody will not be that out of sorts again so the wallace game will be a good one.
CAI beat Sullivan over Christmas and dominated the game second half.
will+i+am
Novice

Post by will+i+am »

Seriously a bad day at the office! It's tiring after a while .... RBAI were the better side and only have themselves to blame for putting their kicker under so much pressure - someone else should have stood in after he missed 2/3. No doubt MCB will go on to lift the cup once again and fair play to them. But dont forget MCB lost to RSA at Christmas so really dont think the CAI victory should be much to go on in the forthcoming semi final. It becomes an expectation at MCB to win now and perhaps a shake up is needed at Branch level. Not many other schools can commit staff members or pupils to such a training regime of before and after school, 5 days a week. Perhaps there needs to be a shake up or a maximum number of training hours per team - after all once 17th March comes and goes these guys need to go on and get A'Levels. I know many argue that MCB have the pool of players to pick from, but I do think the training regime is intense from early on and thats were the balance lies. Even 1st years doing lunch time forwards sessions at least twice a week on top of games and rugby practice, they come in on exceptional closure days, right up to weights training at medallion level. Don't agree with this at such a young stage! Really think UB need to give guidance on what is and isn't acceptable in terms of hours of training, minimum age for weights and this may give all schools an even keel.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

Looking forward to the semi finals. I have to feel sorry for the inst kicker as no one wants to see a team lose for that reason. the pressure that guy was under with all those people watching must have been immense. Hope he doesn't get too much grief for it.
I will say though, in regards to the comment above, methody may bring people in for weights and extra training sessions but to be a successful as them it show you have to put the hard work in. Many other schools follow the same pattern. Their is no reason why every school can't train people this hard. Its just comes doen to the committment from the coaches and players. Look at how grateful Ulster must be with these ex MCB players coming through and becoming regular Ulster players. Without this committment at school level they wouldn't have progressed so well so early.
I believe Sullivan are the team to beat and good luck to all the teams in the semi. Hope the branch see sense at lets these school players play the semi at Ravenhill. They deserve it. the workers in the stand can just have a tea break during the game.
WuzaFlanker
Novice

Post by WuzaFlanker »

Beattiespastie wrote:Methody had a bad day at the office compounded by a heavily penalised
will+i+am wrote:Seriously a bad day at the office! It's tiring after a while .....
Have to agree with WIA. It does get tiring.....

Methody were put under pressure right from the start and never really regained their composure. Had they done so they would have used their devastating maul much more and worked their way round being 'heavily penalised' at the scrum and maybe not resorted to 'punching'!

I suppose a 'bad day at the office' is one way to look at it although it maybe doesn't come across as being that generous in victory. I think Inst supporters and indeed any neutrals would have a slightly different view....

Having said that MCB were more clinical in converting what chances they had so it's hard to argue over the final outcome. You cannot expect to win tight matches if you leave that many points out on the pitch.

RBAI will very much feel that this was one match they let slip by however while their kicker did miss too many key kicks other players also made mistakes by squandering overlaps on a number of occasions.

I think the reaction of the MCB players at the end best summed up the match. They knew they had been let off the hook and on reflection will consider themselves fortunate to be advancing to the semis.

Play of the day for me was the Inst 14 who rolled the Methody winger(was it?) onto his back when a try in the corner looked a certainty. Awesome bit of technical play for a 5th former (from what I gather).

This match will undoubtedly stand Methody in good stead for the semi and I'm sure they will learn from the experience. I haven't seen any of the other three teams in action however MCB (as always) will be hard to beat.

Don't you just love this competition that is the Ulster Schools' Cup........ there aren't too many like it.

Good luck to all in the semis.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cheese wrote: Their is no reason why every school can't train people this hard.
Yes there is. Budgets!

Even as a rugby supporter, I'd prefer my tax was spent on proper education (Not just English grammar btw).
www.stoutboys.co.uk
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

I'm sure it doesn't cost that much for pupils and coaches to come in at 8am to do weights or do skills drills in the gym. Some schools want it more than others. (Hope the spelling is better this time)
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

will+i+am wrote:...... It becomes an expectation at MCB to win now and perhaps a shake up is needed at Branch level. Not many other schools can commit staff members or pupils to such a training regime of before and after school, 5 days a week. Perhaps there needs to be a shake up or a maximum number of training hours per team ......

..... Really think UB need to give guidance on what is and isn't acceptable in terms of hours of training, minimum age for weights and this may give all schools an even keel.
I'm sure there are others better qualified than me to comment on this, and I'm sure there are guidelines in place, but if your comments are to do with player welfare, then fine.

If however, as your final comment suggests, this is just about giving other schools a better chance to beat Methody, then you're way out of line ...... imo.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cheese wrote:I'm sure it doesn't cost that much for pupils and coaches to come in at 8am to do weights or do skills drills in the gym. Some schools want it more than others. (Hope the spelling is better this time)
Are you suggesting the pupils pay for it themselves?
www.stoutboys.co.uk