SCHOOLS CUP 2013

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Re: SCHOOLS CUP 2013

Post by Beattiespastie »

Oh...alright then..MCB win .....not by much though!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

This sounds like it's going to be the first Schools' Cup final I want to go to in a while and I'm going to be in London while it's on :banghead:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Its going to be a great final as both sides have great pace all over the pitch and are happy to play open running rugby. There should be a great turnout and it was great to see Paddy McCallister,Adam Macklin, Nick Williams, Jared Payne, Chris Henry, Michael Heaney, Micheal Allen amongst other Ulster lads at the game today.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Beattiespastie wrote:The best team.
Shame your methody education didn't teach you the correct use of the comparative and the absolute BP.

I predict that the BETTER team will win! ;)
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
handoff
Novice

Post by handoff »

RBAI to win by 2 points in a very tight and exciting game. Methody's pack is very big but their backs did not look as all that impressive today. INST will be that pumped up for it that the pack size will not matter and if they play to their potential they will surprise methody with their back 3 in attack, Campbell is electric and Jones has scored in every cup game so far. With Fraser wright with a brilliant rugby mind solid at 15. And the likes of beanstalk fryers to come off the bench if he is fully fit in time. so the INST team looks very good and i am backing them to win in front of an amazing sea of black and yellow support!
Koonak
Novice

Post by Koonak »

Beattiespastie wrote:Outstanding performance by Methody...Jim Gallagher at 8 was an inspiration..hard as nails and great ball carrier. Three cup games down with only 3 points conceded along the way and that's the key...defence and workrate. Armagh battled hard but they came up against one of the best Methody sides in recent years. RBAI are a good side so it will be a great final.
Referee to your liking today haha! Methody have it in the bag - they won it when they put CCB out. RBAI have suffered heavy defeats this season. 1-15 mcb outstanding (well except for one for personal reasons of complete arrogance !!)- they will match today's margin I think. Would loveto see RBAI snatch it though
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

MCB backs were quiet at times but a 29 point haul says it all......but for a bit of white line fever it could have been more. Methodys pack always front up and they will be in top form in the final. RBAI are a good side but MCB are a great side....when our backs fire on all cylinders they take some stopping.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

The MCB backs tore the game to shreds. The Centres always broke through the Armagh defence and the fullback looked dangerous until he got injured. The player for me was the No 10. he was always taking the ball to the line.
CCB destroyed inst by over 50 points earlier in the season and had Ballyclare been able to convert one of their many chances they would have been in the final. I fear for this Inst team. However it’s all about who can handle the occasion best.
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

Was also impressed by Methody yesterday, particularly with thompson in the lineout and gallagher in the loose. Mckee was a constant threat and added a bit of physicality to quite a light backline. Bingham at 10 was tidy with ball in hand and kept them moving, although they got too narrow at times, his goalkicking was not a strong point yesterday. MCB had pacey outside backs and Colhoun showed a clean pair of heels for his score.

Armagh were really up against it all game. I thought Morton worked hard to the end.

Should be a good final, could be a year early for inst, expect sullivan to feature next year.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

I felt Methody tried to play through the defence too much yesterday and when they went wide they where dangerous but too often a bit more subtelty and a play out the back to a second line of attack would have caused Armagh an awful lot of trouble. It is a very good MCB team with a number of players there who could have good senior rugby careers.
Bopeep
Novice

Post by Bopeep »

cheese wrote:The MCB backs tore the game to shreds. The Centres always broke through the Armagh defence and the fullback looked dangerous until he got injured. The player for me was the No 10. he was always taking the ball to the line.
CCB destroyed inst by over 50 points earlier in the season and had Ballyclare been able to convert one of their many chances they would have been in the final. I fear for this Inst team. However it’s all about who can handle the occasion best.
Yes that's when CCB played Inst 3rds due to injuries, remind me again who is in the final not CCB games during the season count for nothing
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

The best team - is that George's, Rory's, Simon's, Neill's or Methody?

Floreat Ultonia, Floreant Hiberni, Floreat Collegium.....
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

For all you anoraks out there. I see from last year's programme, the Cup was not completed in 1911. Anybody know why ?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jamsodonnell wrote:For all you anoraks out there. I see from last year's programme, the Cup was not completed in 1911. Anybody know why ?
Was a question cables tried to answer at one stage and it stumped him then it was answered

Re: 2011 SCHOOLS CUP

Postby weejack48 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:09 am
That was over a huge disagreement over venues for matches. The right to host the game was more a 'gentleman's agreement' in those days - the draw did not decide the home team. In that particular instance the argument started over the CAI v MCB tie - if I remember correctly MCB had not played at home in the cup for about 5 years and thought they deserved a home tie. Things then escalated with virtually all the entrants falling out - CCB and Portora had a similar barny. The local press was full of 'warring' letters for weeks and before it could be resolved the time available to play the competition had gone. In the end only a couple of ties were actually played that year.

A similar problem befell the Towns Cup in 1900 & 01, with Dungannon & City of Derry the clubs at war.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11761&start=180
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

Thanks Rooster. Very interesting. Next question who were Derry Academy, defeated finalists in 1882 and 1896, both times beaten by MCB ? Since Foyle lost in 1884, it wasnt them. Finally, defeated finalists in 1887 were Galway Academy. Enlighten me somebody please.